Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Class Story?

rreevvannttann
07.15.2017 , 09:53 AM | #1
I've only played through Inquisitor and almost completed Warrior. Not sure what class to go through next. any suggestions on what class has the better story?
If you feel like it, click my referral link -- http://www.swtor.com/r/fsstvj

SteveTheCynic
07.15.2017 , 12:23 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by rreevvannttann View Post
I've only played through Inquisitor and almost completed Warrior. Not sure what class to go through next. any suggestions on what class has the better story?
The one you like the story of better.

Sorry I can't be more precise, but I'm not you (and in fact, nobody else here is either), so I don't know what sort of stories you like.

However
* The Jedi Knight story is cited as classic epic Olde Skool Star Wars, liberally laced with gross stupidity.
* The Jedi Consular story begins with a really epic starter world mission series, then devolves into a great deal of diplomacy that I found really heavy going. (So much so that it took me three years to drag my first character through her class story.)
* The Trooper story is a reasonably good war story, if you like war stories, and has one of the most stress-inducing moral choices in the game. I liked it.
* The Smuggler story is OK, I guess. A healthy dose of betrayal and backstabbing give it a bit of zing, but it isn't exactly Star Wars, except that it did feature some Jedi and some Sith. (The story's plot wouldn't be out of place, aside from the lightsabres and Force manipulations, in a novel set in a series of Third World hellholes and written by, say, Frederick Forsyth.)
* The Sith Inquisitor story you're already familiar with. It's one of my favourites.
* The Sith Warrior story drags excessively for my taste in a few places, but there's an excellent twist between Chapters Two and Three.
* The Bounty Hunter story's main problem is that it drags a bit. It allows you to explore the culture of the Mandalorians a bit, but it felt a bit disconnected in places.
* I've saved the Imperial Agent story for last because my analysis runs counter to the general flow of opinion. That is, I didn't like it. See the spoiler box below if you want more information, but the contents are liable to be spoilerish, and go on for some time. (That can be read as suggesting that I'm conflicted about it, I suppose, and that would be an accurate analysis.)
Spoiler
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Mzuta
07.16.2017 , 06:14 PM | #3

Without question imperial agent. Only class story that has multiple endings

codysmoke
07.17.2017 , 12:14 AM | #4
1. Jedi Knight 2. Agent
Reasoning- The Jedi Knight story is sort of the classic Star Wars story, also similar to KOTOR. The Agent story is amazing, between undercover operations and assassinations it is very interesting to play through.

SteveTheCynic
07.17.2017 , 03:03 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Mzuta View Post
Without question imperial agent. Only class story that has multiple endings
Apart from the Smuggler story, I guess. And the variations of what happens to General Rakton in the Trooper story. And what happens to the First Son.

And it's still told in the wrong medium, as I said above.

Also: multiple endings aren't inherently a good thing. Three different endings that all suffer from the Murder By Death(1) effect would make for a bad story, but hey, it must be good because there's multiple endings, right?.

(1) It's a film that spoofs all the worst cliché storytelling in murder-mystery novels, especially late reveals of plot-critical information that wasn't previously foreshadowed in any way.
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!

supertimtaf
07.17.2017 , 05:53 AM | #6
Well... I remember loving the smuggler storyline, not really because of the whole story, but the conversation and line of dialogs were great, I loved the way that your toons and the other express themselves. But I played it on the french version, not sure if the same work was done in the original version ^^
And yeah, really liked the Agent
Bounty Hunter is fine, I guess... but I still prefered the Trooper :/
Eliadil - Darkness Assassin Darth Malgus

Feel free to use my referal link if you liked my help ! Free stuff for you and me !

JLazarillo
07.17.2017 , 07:28 AM | #7
On the whole, I tend to rate the stories:

Inquisitor > Warrior > Consular > Agent > Smuggler > Hunter > Knight > Trooper

The first three are what I'd really call top tier. It's hard to pick which of the Sith stories I like better when they're both at their best. I tend towards Inquisitor simply because I love how it's the most self-motivated (it's the only story where you don't really have someone holocalling you between each planet and telling you where to go); I also dig the rise to power story, and it feels the most "open"...Warrior, if you make too many Light Sided choices, dialogue from other characters and such starts to kind of "railroad" your character motivations, so even though the story itself is really solid, I feel like it's a bit weaker unless it's played the "right" way (of course, I still like my Warrior as a slightly cerebral sort, so he's not above making Light choices when the situation calls for it). Consular is really underrated to me, but has some similar flaws to the Warrior, where if you don't play mostly Light, particularly in the early parts of the story, a lot of the internal logic falls apart. Such a shame since the prologue was all about learning the true history of Dark Jedi. Still, if done "right" here, it's easily my favorite story Republic-side.

Bringing in the second tier, Agent is quite solid, with a lot of twists and an interesting supporting cast and world view. It does really drag at times, though, and the characters you actually get as companions tend to be bland, annoying, or underused in the plot as a whole. It also doesn't get to be its best unless you save it for last, and get to see how it ties a lot of the other stories together. Smuggler and Hunter are both high quality as well, even if they don't stand out as well. Smuggler's funny and exciting, though certain late-story elements make the whole thing a little bit of a letdown. Hunter's freaking ******, and probably the best they could do to make a character feel "freelance" while also providing an ongoing story, though some of the excuses for why you're doing what you're doing are a little flimsy.

Knight and Trooper I find the worst. Knight is definitely the better of the two. It's got a few great moments, although some of those are also morality-based, but I find the story somewhat bland (some people find it "classic Star Wars", I feel less like it's "classic" and more like it's "played-out"), and it has a severe problem with telling rather than showing. You're the chosen one because you are and Orgus is your master even though he never teaches you and Kira's your Padawan even though you never teach her. The thing that happens at the end of Chapter 2 which I won't spoil is supposedly terrible and the guilt eats away at you and stuff but it all happens off camera. Trooper, finally, just has some real problems with cohesiveness and drama. The story sets itself up in a great way, but never follows through, it shifts around somewhat aimlessly, and the writing is entirely too enamored with "this-or-that" choices even when they don't make sense...it's kind of...desensitizing, especially by the time you get to some of what should be the really hard choices near the end, it's just, like, oh, another one.

notanjelika
08.04.2017 , 09:48 AM | #8
I personally like the Consular story, especially the Balmorra part - it feels a bit like the cat & mouse game, a certain revolutionary could have killed my character a lot of times but he didn't - maybe just maybe he has some honor?

Bounty Hunter : i want more Mandalorian content!

Sith Warrior: got bored of Darth Fat Dude at lvl 28, deleted toon.
Please bring back Jaesa Willsaam

SteveTheCynic
08.05.2017 , 10:35 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by notanjelika View Post
Sith Warrior: got bored of Darth Fat Dude at lvl 28, deleted toon.
It's a good thing I live alone. That made me laugh, and I don't have to explain to anyone *why* I was laughing. Thanks.
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!

Avashnea
08.05.2017 , 03:51 PM | #10
Inquisitor and Agent are the best stories in the game.
Consular and Trooper are boring as all hell. Zenith is the only reason I made it through the Consular story.
Typical Jedi response:
LS Sith: Hello, I just saved all the children from that burning orphanage, can I get a glass of water?
Jedi: KILL THE EVIL SITH!