Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Icykill_
08.01.2017 , 06:30 PM | #1811
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
Assuming he is on one of the old PVP servers, which seems likely since he seems interested in PVP, it is something that could have been easily solved by not allowing brand new players (those that have no characters created in the game) to create characters on those servers. Heck if you even wanted to prevent new players from creating characters on any server but Harbinger, I'd be fine with that (though I suspect a large number of them would move off at some point). Why does every problem that comes up mean there has to be a Server Merger, there are a lot of things that are easier technically than merging servers that can be done.
I think you may have misunderstood my point. I'm not actually saying to merge, I'm saying that it's bad for the game when new players get the impression the game is empty.

I do agree that they could take steps to fix that by not allowing new players to roll on those servers. It's something that most games do when there are too many people on a server when it's full, there is no reason they couldn't do the reverse for dead servers. It's also something they could do immediately and not affect the current players.

Giving new players the impression the game is dead is the absolute worst thing they can do and they should do something straight away to address it while they are working out their plan to address low population problems.
We Need Cross Faction PvP War Zones And Skill vs Skill PvP
What's Your Bolster LvL Preference
http://www.strawpoll.me/13644464/

IntegrationArch
08.01.2017 , 07:39 PM | #1812
Agreed

Ardarell_Solo
08.02.2017 , 02:03 AM | #1813
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
There was a lot of reason at the time to believe a Star Wars MMO-RPG would be immensely popular.
There's even more now with new movies coming out every year.

My former guildmates who left the game for other MMOs are still saying they'd rather play SWTOR, if the game provided more content more frequently and wasn't as far behind in terms of general gameplay, QOL stuff and player population. The last one obviously being a consequence of the former stuff.

Star Wars is the strongest franchise in pop culture. That's the game's biggest chance, yet maybe also its worst enemy: The longer I played the game, the more I got the impression execs relied solely on that and didn't invest enough resources into a property that's generelly associated with high class entertainment on the highest professional level. Looking at almost any other MMO, especially the most successful one, SWTOR doesn't hold up the way a Star Wars movie does against any other SciFi/Action movie.

That's why I'd suggest you should pick up the pieces very fast now, invest all the resources you can and even acquire more, and use the Star Wars hype to bring the game to the professional level Star Wars is generally associated with.

"Picking up the pieces" would mean cross server queuing, as I explained above: It's by far the most effective way to boost group content experience for everyone and overcome the problems of declining server populations. If the reason for not doing this is officially "database layout" as stated in the bad feelings podcast quoted several times in this thread, I'm 8 times facepalm: one for every Star Wars movie.
El'ethon - Sentinel <Taking the Jawas to Alderaan> T3-M4

DarthSpuds
08.02.2017 , 11:06 AM | #1814
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardarell_Solo View Post
Star Wars is the strongest franchise in pop culture. That's the game's biggest chance, yet maybe also its worst enemy: The longer I played the game, the more I got the impression execs relied solely on that and didn't invest enough resources into a property that's generelly associated with high class entertainment on the highest professional level.
Agree 100%.

There are two games I have given more "second chances" to than any other.

SWtOR - because it is Star Wars
LOTRO - Because it is Lord Of The Rings.

In both cases the companies managing those title have - frankly - abused the goodwill of the players who are supporting those game in large part because of what they are.

At times they have, quite clearly, run with the ethos of "any old crap will do, we'll slap a Star Wars badge on it". Problem is it has been done too many times, and too many players have seen through it.

I think Bioware should re-task some of the money they do have.
How much do those nice cinematic trailers cost?
How much more content / bug fixes / QoL improvements could we have for that kind of money?

All The Best
#removeRNG
Sub Expires: 25 Sept 2017
If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

IntegrationArch
08.02.2017 , 11:10 AM | #1815
and surgical update to 64Bit for multiplatform to help restore server populations.

DarthSpuds
08.02.2017 , 11:20 AM | #1816
Quote: Originally Posted by IntegrationArch View Post
and surgical update to 64Bit for multiplatform to help restore server populations.
Multi-platform is NOT going to happen.

Go check how many skills most players have on their "must use" skill bars.

There isn't, to my knowledge, a console UI that will cope with that.

And the last thing this game needs is dumbing down to have just 6 skills on the skillbar.

All The Best
#removeRNG
Sub Expires: 25 Sept 2017
If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

IntegrationArch
08.02.2017 , 11:26 AM | #1817
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
Multi-platform is NOT going to happen. Go check how many skills most players have on their "must use" skill bars. There isn't, to my knowledge, a console UI that will cope with that. And the last thing this game needs is dumbing down to have just 6 skills on the skillbar. All The Best
EOL and stale XP/Vista instability was well proven last night with the 5.3a non patch, and modern 64BIT game consoles support USB or wifi key/mouse so if the SWTOR game client were to be surgically updated the populations would explode again and pay for itself over and over and over. A 64bit console may support 4K game graphics and look and play amazing.

kodrac
08.02.2017 , 12:26 PM | #1818
Quote: Originally Posted by IntegrationArch View Post
EOL and stale XP/Vista instability was well proven last night with the 5.3a non patch, and modern 64BIT game consoles support USB or wifi key/mouse so if the SWTOR game client were to be surgically updated the populations would explode again and pay for itself over and over and over. A 64bit console may support 4K game graphics and look and play amazing.
Good luck getting console players to use a keyboard and mouse. Most of them specifically choose console over PC for just that reason.
One FREE character transfer -> CLICKY plus 7 days FREE -> FAQ

KeithKanneg
08.02.2017 , 03:51 PM | #1819 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by actkiyomur View Post
Hello Keith. I think i might have some answers for you guys.

I am guild master of a guild on a "deserted" french server (not the worst, but still), Battle Meditation. We are a medium sized guild (35~40 accounts currently) and we are on Battle Meditation since the beginning of the game.

Earlier this year, i had a big discussion with the members of my guild to ask them if they were ok to transfer on Red Eclipse so we could enjoy having people to play with at any time of the day/night. On Battle Meditation it is very hard to run flashpoints or warzones with group finder during the day if we are not enough in the guild. Even between 21:00 and 0:00 there is only one warzone running at a time...

Most guild members didnt want to transfer for several reasons :
-they didnt want to lose the nicknames they have since 2011 on their favorite toons (and no, adding accents on names is not a good solution for most of us)
-we didnt want to lose our guild flagship (we worked very hard to complete it) and our guild stronghold
-we didnt want to have to decorate our strongholds all over again
-we didnt want to leave all our members who left the game behind, because they can still come back (it happened many times) and i dont want them to find an empty guild when they return

Hope this will help you understand why, and that you can find a good solution to our problems.
For the specific Guild issues you’ve raised, we would need to ensure the entire Guild, their Flagship/decorations, Bank/Tabs/items, and Stronghold/decorations remain 100% intact. The goal would be for the Guild members to notice absolutely nothing different and this means any returning players would still be in your guild unless you specifically removed them. Bottom line for your Guild would be making sure we protect all your hard work.

The losing of character names is one of the key points we are still discussing. We know there’s a variety of issues to resolve including, but not limited to, name collisions, establishing a priority system, purging of old names beforehand, and players attempting to reserve names. We all have character names we want to preserve, so this is a key factor in the overall decision.

-Keith--
Keith Kanneg | Game Producer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

fushnchips
08.02.2017 , 03:56 PM | #1820
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
For the specific Guild issues you’ve raised, we would need to ensure the entire Guild, their Flagship/decorations, Bank/Tabs/items, and Stronghold/decorations remain 100% intact. The goal would be for the Guild members to notice absolutely nothing different and this means any returning players would still be in your guild unless you specifically removed them. Bottom line for your Guild would be making sure we protect all your hard work.

The losing of character names is one of the key points we are still discussing. We know there’s a variety of issues to resolve including, but not limited to, name collisions, establishing a priority system, purging of old names beforehand, and players attempting to reserve names. We all have character names we want to preserve, so this is a key factor in the overall decision.

-Keith--
We would still like to know where you guys are at what parts of those key points you have success with as of now and what ones are the most annoying because I know even though you post great updates actions actually speak louder than words my friend and you could be posting this same thing for the next 12 months and as a veteran player I would like more of a window of time why not make free one way transfers for now to allow people to get to another server yes 90cc is cheap but some players are stuck on wastelands because of Biowares neglect towards certain players that pay for a sub and continue to do so.
Pineapple on Pizza for life

Free stuff for you and me click here : Refer a Friend