Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LordTurin
07.30.2017 , 12:05 AM | #1571
Quote: Originally Posted by TyonYlle View Post
I'm not saying that it's a viable solution, because I do, I think it's a pretty good option, more so now after you've explained it.

I'm just saying I have zero knowledge on code, and I don't know how simple this option is on a large scale such as an MMO.
Honestly, that is the thing a lot of people don't understand about "simple" changes. It depends on how things were coded in the first place. If someone saw this coming in the future, pretty easy since everything is already there.. But more likely, it wasn't, which mean that first they have to add in a new variable for every character (which would break the game if not done correctly). Than they have to change how mail, whispers, and the GTN works (to make sure stuff goes to the right person). Than they have to change all the chat commands. Then they have to change the friend/ignore lists. Then they have to put in an easy way to find the identifiers.

Then they have to decide how to deal with the inevitable trolls who will create characters to troll someone else with the same name (let's say toon BillyBob#1 annoyed someone. That someone can create a atoon called BillyBob#2, and act like a total jerk to everyone, and so now no one wants to play with BillyBob, and will leave group if they see him. Now what is BillyBob gonna do?).

Anyway, this particular idea would probably not be insanely difficult to do, but would probably take several days to a week worth of a Dev's time, and so managers like Keith have to decide if that is more important than working on the new Ops boss, or class balance, or the new FP, or a new PVP map.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

BoySaber
07.30.2017 , 02:36 AM | #1572
Quote: Originally Posted by LordTurin View Post
Anyway, this particular idea would probably not be insanely difficult to do, but would probably take several days to a week worth of a Dev's time, and so managers like Keith have to decide if that is more important than working on the new Ops boss, or class balance, or the new FP, or a new PVP map.
None of that group content will matter if their group finder is dead, and server merge is a solution. If it comes as half baked Manaan stronghold, incomplete Ops, and illogical class balances, as that seems that they have been heavily investing their time on so far, I'd rather see them work on server merge issues instead, at least that way some group content can be played without spending 2 hours on fleet trying to form operation via general chat and fail because there are no players. If it is several days or a week worth of dev's time, it's totally worth it. If it is longer then I don't know. What else can they do good in a week?
Click here to get these rewards in SWTOR.

omaan
07.30.2017 , 03:14 AM | #1573
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
Dang, I'm really white-knighting in every thread today, but:

How many times does Keith have to say he needs more information before he can give an informed and productive answer?

Would you prefer he commit to one and then find out it is technically infeasible? That would be an awesome segment in: "Gee, what could possibly go wrong?"

Dasty the White-Knighting Hutt
Of Course i saw it, it is quoted in my main message, however look how much time they needed no answer to us! Keith did it only recently though this topic was highlighted months ago (ignoring player's demand which were made YEARs ago). Apparently devs are trying to ignore this issue and stating vague answers, telling us that they "need more time to think". Every time devs said "we need more time to think/discuss/research/etc" actually meant it is not going to happen. Time to make them a reminder, such threads will appear time-to-time believe me, thats what swtor needs

omaan
07.30.2017 , 03:23 AM | #1574
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
1) He has already said no cross servers. How many times do you need to be told that until it sinks into your head.
(2) Throwing a temper fit and stomping your feet on the ground is not going to get your way
(3) Not all servers need merged
(4) He has already stated that there are issues they need to work out before any merger can happen, guilds being transferred intact, strongholds, legacy banks, outfit changers
(5) Not every player wants to be merged to another server. Some actually like their server as it has for the most part very nice people, so therefore not all players need to be merged. You might want it and some servers might need it but not all players need it.
Yet, most of the players want it, which means it must be happened. I hope, you kid are old enough to understand that all important changes are implemented when MOST of the subjects demand it. Minority has no power to choose for majority. Welcome to real world. You can have your rp server, so you could stay there with a small group of players drinking imaginary whine and chatting garbage in cantinas but it doesn't mean active players must suffer.

CrazyCT
07.30.2017 , 03:36 AM | #1575
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
Yet, most of the players want it,
source?
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

omaan
07.30.2017 , 04:59 AM | #1576
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCT View Post
source?
Server merge discussion thread

CrazyCT
07.30.2017 , 05:25 AM | #1577
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
Server merge discussion thread
{Ah, 5 people demanding it and 5 people against it - Ladies and Gentlemen, I present "The Majority".}
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

OwenBrooks
07.30.2017 , 05:31 AM | #1578
Ah, 5 people demanding it and 5 people against it - Ladies and Gentlemen, I present "The Majority".
I chuckled when i read this

omaan
07.30.2017 , 06:49 AM | #1579
{Ah, 5 people demanding it and 5 people against it - Ladies and Gentlemen, I present "The Majority".}

Messages numbers from different players in server merge discussion thread which voted FOR implementation of merges:
2,4,5,11,12(Not directly, but it is for server merge),15, 16, 19,20 (Not directly, but it is for server merge), 26, 31, 33, 39, 43, 52 (Not directly, but it is for server merge), 57, 70, 72, 77, 94, 98 (Not directly, but it is for server merge), 105,107,116 ETC.

Learn to count. AND IT IS only first 12 PAGES.

Those who are against are mostly the same rp-persons (retajack, Cesarabit and a few others) repeating their messages to others, and these players are in minority.

ZionHalcyon
07.30.2017 , 07:31 AM | #1580
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
Someone has to do it.
I'd argue we have too many. If a player has to white knight for a developer, it means that the white knighter passively believes the development team is unable to defend themselves and needs said white knight player to come to their defense.

When you get into the psychological reasons for repeated white knighting, it is the pinnacle of a form of narcissism and hubris.

Doesn't mean people can't disagree with critics-everyone has a different opinion. But those that thrive on jumping into threads and arguing with paying customers who have a criticism of the game may need to re-evaluate their priorities.