Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tisaren
07.29.2017 , 02:50 AM | #701
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
As I outlined in the Roadmap, we are returning to our MMO roots, but as everyone knows, we were focused on story development and left most MMO content alone for the past couple years.
Dear Keith, this got me worried. At the root of SWTOR is the story (see the overview page of SWTOR and of course its roots in KOTOR). It is what sets SWTOR apart from other MMO's. It is its USP: a personal story-driven game.

I guess PvP and OPs are considered the only true 'MMO content' by many, but that type of content can be found in most other online games.

Of course I understand that story-driven content is quite costly to produce compared to WZ's for example, but I really hope that SWTOR will not let go of its story roots.

Rheshalea
07.29.2017 , 03:01 AM | #702
As of right now, it is not a Legacy currency. But, I know exactly what you're thinking, so let me pre-announce something which I suspect will make you smile, while at the same time, irritate you because I won't tell you when until I update the Roadmap.

We are working to change currencies to be Legacy based. This includes unassembled components, credits, the Umbara currency, and more. I'm not aware of any major obstacles preventing this from happening, and doing so will help with a number of changes we are planning for the future.

I know that doesn't solve the concern about having to run the Flashpoint multiple times on one character, but once you have the Key to open the Stronghold, you can use the currency for other items on the vendor.

Have a good weekend,

-Keith--
This all sounds very exciting!

And I really don't mind doing Umbara on just one character some ten times.... BUT.... couldn't the Stronghold unlock be not a currency as such, but a certificate? I mean, we get those barrels from Manaan FP, there's the Ziost tokens - Legacy bound items to by stuff for. Why not the Umbara key? (Plus, each token could drop the price by, say, 250k? So eventually, if someone wanted to, they could run Umbara for three weeks straight and then purchase the whole stronghold without using any credits at all?)

Also, we need more decorations. No ifs or buts, we simply need more decos, both easily available ones and rare ones that drop only from raids/ranked PvP weekly rewards and that are BoU so they can be sold on GTN. And everything in between.
Decos crafted directly by crew skills, decos that drop from trashmobs, only from Command crates/heroic mission crates, quest rewards.... anywhere that gives a player loot could have a chance to drop a deco. Planetary themes could be a thing. We have this already, but only for a few items (Rishi rep vendor for example), so it shouldn't be hard to expand on it. Also, armor/weapon racks where we could display our favorite outfits and weapons in our strongholds...

Either way, I'm kinda excited. Gonna get myself online to start farming money just in case I find something to spend it on.

omaan
07.29.2017 , 03:16 AM | #703
Great questions. As I outlined in the Roadmap, we are returning to our MMO roots, but as everyone knows, we were focused on story development and left most MMO content alone for the past couple years.

To change our direction, we had to retool, reorganize, hire new talent, and get everyone on board with the changed direction. That takes time, so we made a choice and decided to release the Operation Boss encounters one at a time. This gave us more time to design, polish, test, and get insight directly from players, versus making everyone wait all year before we released 5 new bosses.

It wasn't an easy decision, as we knew we were going to be criticized while impacting progression efforts. But, honestly, it was the right call. We're discussing future content, how to release it, what's going to be included, and when, but we won't be ready to disclose our next year's plans for a while.

I know that's vague, yet it gives you an idea of where we're headed.

---Keith
All your work has no sense until you:1) make cross-server queues or 2) merge servers. Until one of these implemented, all your changes are weak and useless.

Ylliarus
07.29.2017 , 03:54 AM | #704
As of right now, it is not a Legacy currency. But, I know exactly what you're thinking, so let me pre-announce something which I suspect will make you smile, while at the same time, irritate you because I won't tell you when until I update the Roadmap.

We are working to change currencies to be Legacy based. This includes unassembled components, credits, the Umbara currency, and more. I'm not aware of any major obstacles preventing this from happening, and doing so will help with a number of changes we are planning for the future.

I know that doesn't solve the concern about having to run the Flashpoint multiple times on one character, but once you have the Key to open the Stronghold, you can use the currency for other items on the vendor.

Have a good weekend,

-Keith--
LEGACY CREDITS. LEGACY. CREDITS. *explodes into a fireworks show of confetti and joy*
The Twi'lek Crusader
It is time for the Twi'lek species to receive new appearance customization options, because they have been neglected since launch.
If you agree with this... do please click on my referral link!

blackopsranger
07.29.2017 , 04:54 AM | #705
More Incentive for ranked: Bring backs 8v8. People know what to do in objective based maps. Simply have groups only able to queue for 4v4 and solos 8v8 and 4v4.
Star Forge: <Don't Tell Me What To Do> <Tragic Heroes>

VirtualMorrigan
07.29.2017 , 05:21 AM | #706
Great questions. As I outlined in the Roadmap, we are returning to our MMO roots, but as everyone knows, we were focused on story development and left most MMO content alone for the past couple years.

To change our direction, we had to retool, reorganize, hire new talent, and get everyone on board with the changed direction. That takes time, so we made a choice and decided to release the Operation Boss encounters one at a time. This gave us more time to design, polish, test, and get insight directly from players, versus making everyone wait all year before we released 5 new bosses.

It wasn't an easy decision, as we knew we were going to be criticized while impacting progression efforts. But, honestly, it was the right call. We're discussing future content, how to release it, what's going to be included, and when, but we won't be ready to disclose our next year's plans for a while.

I know that's vague, yet it gives you an idea of where we're headed.

---Keith
same old, same old. You word it more prettily than your predecessor, but the message is always the same. "We know what is right and you WILL enjoy it, we don't need to hear your opinion and don't care how it impacts you, shut up and pay packs."

Oh, and I forgot, the "Something great is coming but I can't talk about it yet."

We'll see if it was "the right call". I happen to disagree. Ignoring your customers because you think you know better may be a time-honoured Bioware tradition but I think the time where you could afford that attitude is way, way past.

KeithKanneg
07.29.2017 , 05:34 AM | #707 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by revkashepard View Post
Will it screw up Preferred Status players? Or you just don't care about all your players
Actually, we do care about all of our players. That's why we will address currencies and content access for all players this year, too.

---Keith
Keith Kanneg | Game Producer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

KeithKanneg
07.29.2017 , 06:00 AM | #708 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
Actually a lot of us want Bolster to go back to 250, which is as high as possible, 242 is not as high as possible. I guess you didnt read the whole thread or count how many individuals actually asked for that.
We did read the whole thread and remember we didn't offer that as an option as progression is still part of PvP. Moving Bolster to 250 virtually eliminates the need to get gear and reduces the value for those who have earned Tier 4 pieces.

The right answer is we need to resolve the PvP gearing issues, so Bolster gets removed as a central issue.

Keith---
Keith Kanneg | Game Producer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

omaan
07.29.2017 , 06:07 AM | #709
Actually, we do care about all of our players. That's why we will address currencies and content access for all players this year, too.

---Keith
If you truly care about your players it is time you tell us about implementing server merges OR cross-server queues. Stop ignoring this important issue!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try to play on french or german servers (or any Other except tre), and you will see how bad is it: waiting for queue proc 5-30 minutes, always the same faces on warzones, often premades fighting each other, no people for certain contents (heroic missions, uprisings etc), and no,server transfer is not an exit (people dont want to leave their guild mates, guild ships and for many other reasons).

DarthDymond
07.29.2017 , 06:25 AM | #710
Quote: Originally Posted by VirtualMorrigan View Post
same old, same old. You word it more prettily than your predecessor, but the message is always the same. "We know what is right and you WILL enjoy it, we don't need to hear your opinion and don't care how it impacts you, shut up and pay packs."

Oh, and I forgot, the "Something great is coming but I can't talk about it yet."

We'll see if it was "the right call". I happen to disagree. Ignoring your customers because you think you know better may be a time-honoured Bioware tradition but I think the time where you could afford that attitude is way, way past.
Heaven forbid game designers actually be in charge of the design for their game.

Developers should take player feedback into account as one factor --and an important factor at that-- that goes into their decision-making process for the game. But it is never going to be the only factor. Doing exactly what the players say is both practically impossible (so many different players want so many different things, there is no way they have the resources to implement them all at once) and logically impossible (some players want [X] and some players explicitly want [NOT X]). The playerbase isn't some monolith with a singular vision for the game.

So sometimes they're going to look at player feedback and say "Hey, this player feedback has an idea we like that we can fully implement" (e.g. removing training costs).

Sometimes they're going to look at player feedback and say "Hey, this feedback has an idea we like, but we just don't have the resources to implement it right now, we'll keep it in mind for later" (e.g. everything they add to their "wall of crazy").

Sometimes they're going to look at feedback and say "Hey, we have one idea for how this should be, a number of players are telling us they want something different, we'll try to meet those players half-way" (e.g. weighing their idea for GC to be the entirety of end-game gearing against some players' feedback that it should be removed completely, and compromising by bringing back gear drops and gear currencies and moving GC to a supplemental role in gearing up).

And yes, sometimes they're even going to look at feedback and say "Hey, that's just not something that jibes with our vision for the game, so we're not going to do that."

IMO that's exactly the way designers should go about their game development, and it seems to be something BW is doing. The most useful feedback for Devs is generally of the "Is this thing we're doing fun? Y/N" and "What is it you find fun / not fun about it?" variety (with the second being the more useful). Feedback of the "I demand that you do things this way instead of that way" variety ... not so much.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here