Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A word to the joystick-botherers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
A word to the joystick-botherers

Verain's Avatar


Verain
07.10.2017 , 02:05 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
So asking for joystick support in-game provided by BioWare (without resorting to third party programs)
Wait hold up, you don't get to move that goalpost. And why is a third party joy2mouse program a big deal? You're ok with the joystick having it's own special doofy driver, that's third party software. First you wanted a joystick, then you wanted a joystick even if the controls were crap, now you want a joystick that doesn't require xpadder. We actually solved your problem for you, but that's not good enough.


Quote:
I guess if the title of the topic is "A word to the joystick-botherers", then I really shouldn't expect to have a reasoned conversation.
Given that you won't be pleased no matter what happens, no, you aren't really gonna be able to bring that. I literally linked you a tutorial that will let you do exactly what you want, right? But suddenly the devs have to add that support to their game. But that won't make you happy, because you know that will be a goofy experience.

Quote:
It's clear you'll all defend your point regardless of logic or reasoning or even being able to read correctly at what players are asking for.
I don't think there's going to be just one thing you are "asking for". I think you are up to two or three now anyway.

Quote:
I'm done here.
...Unless the devs add joystick support, in which case you'll be a forum regular asking for autoaim and demanding sweeping component nerfs for components that don't work well for your chosen input method.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
07.10.2017 , 04:02 AM | #22
You anti joystick guys are entitle to your opinions... but what you are failing to understand is a majority of people who aren't playing don't want to use a mouse and keyboard to play GSF... it doesn't feel like a Star Wars space game using a mouse... it ruins the immersion... it's why we don't play it and we are telling Bioware that because they want feed back...
I can pretty much guarantee that if Bio hadn't asked for feed back we would be letting you stew in your toxic pot by yourselves while you watch GSF die from lack of attention.
You should be grateful that people are even bothering to post feed back on GSF because most of us know that Bioware won't do anything to change why we don't play it. We know they won't add joystick support which means we won't bother playing GSF.
But Bio wanted to know our feed back and we are telling them why.
Nobody who wants a joystick, wants it for the stupid reasons you are spouting. None of us want an advantage, it has nothing to do with it. As far as I'm concerned you should be able to use what ever type of control input you like and none should give an advantage over another.
Your continued attacks on people who want joysticks are doing you no favours and are more likely to turn people off even trying GSF because they don't want to play with elitists.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

DakhathKilrathi's Avatar


DakhathKilrathi
07.10.2017 , 04:49 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
You anti joystick guys are entitle to your opinions... but what you are failing to understand is a majority of people who aren't playing don't want to use a mouse and keyboard to play GSF...
So don't. See Verain's post above. You can play with a joystick right now if that's what you want.

FlavivsAetivs's Avatar


FlavivsAetivs
07.10.2017 , 05:48 AM | #24
Sorry I just wanted to chime in here:
Quote:
"Are those people in that plane kilometres over my head [in RL] using mouse and keyboard to steer that plane, too ?"
Yes.
A.K.A. Magister Militum Flavius Aetius
Eudoxia | Constantia Eudoxya | Euander
GSF School
Jedi Covenant

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
07.10.2017 , 07:31 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
So don't. See Verain's post above. You can play with a joystick right now if that's what you want.
Good luck with that as it's not real joystick support.
But I'm not going to continue to argue about it. I've made my point in my previous post.
You guys can now wallow in this thread knowing that people who want joystick support to play GSF can see through your elitists views.
Just know that your attitude won't encourage any of us to play GSF with you and it will die off.

Have fun /ignore thread and GSF till it gets real joystick support,
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

phalczen's Avatar


phalczen
07.10.2017 , 07:47 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
Good luck with that as it's not real joystick support.
But I'm not going to continue to argue about it. I've made my point in my previous post.
You guys can now wallow in this thread knowing that people who want joystick support to play GSF can see through your elitists views.
Just know that your attitude won't encourage any of us to play GSF with you and it will die off.

Have fun /ignore thread and GSF till it gets real joystick support,
Icy, it's not an elitist view. As I posted above, I lobbied for joystick support in beta. But if you ever played SWG Jump to Lightspeed and manned a turret in one of the multiplayer ships, versus piloting a single-person Starfighter, you would remember that it was clunky and difficult to control a turret with a joystick versus a mouse. That's because a turret is gimballed. No one in SWG ever complained, insisted, or campaigned to get those turrets changed, even though SWG supported joysticks natively. The control scheme here in GSF is just like that, because the guns of your Starfighter are gimballed. Targeting reticules are tied to ship steering in a way that can't be separated. The time to massively and completely change the control scheme for GSF was back in beta.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

phalczen's Avatar


phalczen
07.10.2017 , 07:56 AM | #27
Look nobody complains about having to use third party stuff to:
Broadcast and stream their gameplay
Have boss timers and raid stats via overlays from StarParse
Talk to their colleagues on VoIP programs like mumble, discord, ventrilo, teamspeak

What we are trying to explain is that if joystick support was implemented correctly, then it would by its very nature permanently fix the target reticule in the center of the firing arc. It would remove the gimballing entirely, just like it was piloting a single person Starfighter in SWG. This changes the nature of GSF's shooting and flying mechanics in a way that I don't think anyone is capable of predicting, good or bad.

But if you are satisfied with a control system that is going to be just like when you used a joystick to control the turrets in a POB ship, then there are posters who can help you do that.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Verain's Avatar


Verain
07.10.2017 , 09:40 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
What we are trying to explain is that if joystick support was implemented correctly, then it would by its very nature permanently fix the target reticule in the center of the firing arc.
I mean, a "correct' version might continue to allow for mouse or trackpad or hat usage to move the reticule. Certainly, a correct control would offer more degrees of control than a mouse.

Quote:
It would remove the gimballing entirely, just like it was piloting a single person Starfighter in SWG.
I sort of assume this would be under the "bad" heading, if the joystick users had different things that they were controlling relative to a mouse user.

Quote:
Been playing Elite: Dangerous with KB&M since launch and it handles fine having a very similar flight mechanic to GSF.
Elite Dangerous has no shortage of drama threads about its K+M versus HOTAS setup. It also has the idea of fixed versus gimballed weapons. It is very clear that the devs spent a ton of time trying to make it fair. Also note that the entirety of the game is not just pvp, as it is with GSF.

Quote:
Good luck with that as it's not real joystick support.
I mean, in the first post I refer to this as the "terrible joystick support" category. I certainly agree with you that it isn't "real" joystick support. Real joystick support lets you control the ship directly instead of leading it around by the nose with a reticule, and it has a corresponding effect on the gameplay and game balance. Hence this thread.


Quote:
people who want joystick support to play GSF can see through your elitists views
Dude, "elitist"? Are you serious? What reasoning have we been using that is "elitist"? Did you even read the thread?
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Magira's Avatar


Magira
07.26.2017 , 08:48 PM | #29
There are two options for joystick support.
Either can be controlled GSF worse than with mouse, then it no one will use with it.
Or it's better, it's an unfair advantage for people who are getting a joystick.
Btw: Freelancer, the best space game of the early 2000s also had no joystick support.
The Red Eclipse: Ynaxi, Thamari, Shakrj , Lorilee, Maedu
Guild: The Wookiees Legacy:Shockwaverider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shockwave_Rider

FlavivsAetivs's Avatar


FlavivsAetivs
07.27.2017 , 07:07 PM | #30
Freelancer is also the basis for GSF's control scheme.
A.K.A. Magister Militum Flavius Aetius
Eudoxia | Constantia Eudoxya | Euander
GSF School
Jedi Covenant