Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preventing a player from throwing matches

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Preventing a player from throwing matches

bncsmom
07.26.2017 , 04:55 PM | #1
I was just in a GSF match where one person, who will remain nameless because the devs don't like us to call them out (but for purposes of simplifying, we'll call him Dan), self-destructed to cause us to lose. More than half the other team's points were because of Dan's self-destructing. That is all he did in the entire match.

When the match began, Dan was destroyed and he then asked if anyone wanted to "watch that again." Me, I'm a bomber, I was getting set up with my bombs and repair drone so that he and the others could have a bit of repairs, reloads, and Dare I Say It? COVER. But nobody responded to him. So, Dan decided to throw a tantrum and self-destructed the rest of the match. We might have had a chance to win, but with more than half of the other team's points being because Dan self-destructed the rest of the match, we didn't.

I'd like to propose that a new feature be added to GSF so that if a player chooses to try to throw the match through self-destructing, they are auto kicked after 4 or 5 self-destructs if they have not contributed to the match in any meaningful way between those self-destructs - i.e. doing damage to the other team or assisted with capping and holding a sat. Please don't allow players like Dan do this to the rest of the community. It makes it difficult for anyone to have fun, except for the trolls like Dan, who get a kick out of ruining everyone else's day.

Stncold
07.26.2017 , 05:51 PM | #2
Good thread but I don't have much faith in BW doing anything about this.

Anyway all of the Ebon Hawk regulars knows who you're talking about. Said person is notorious for throwing matches when people don't do exactly what he wants. Your team can be ahead by like 15 kills and he'll still do it. He plays both sides and it's to the point some players won't queue when they know he's on their faction.
RIP The Fatman.

"Jedi Knights aren't celibate - the thing that is forbidden is attachments - and possessive relationships." -Lucas

Ramalina
07.26.2017 , 07:41 PM | #3
You can try reporting to Customer Service. It's not a TOS or EULA violation, but there is still a Code of Conduct hidden away, and they can take action based on that, particularly in the case of a repeat offender.

Unreliable as a solution, but sometimes it works.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

bncsmom
07.27.2017 , 03:07 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
You can try reporting to Customer Service. It's not a TOS or EULA violation, but there is still a Code of Conduct hidden away, and they can take action based on that, particularly in the case of a repeat offender.

Unreliable as a solution, but sometimes it works.
I did report him. I told them he was ruining it for everyone else and offered my suggestion as a way to help prevent people like Dan from being able to throw their temper tantrums and ruin everyone else's day.

merovejec
07.27.2017 , 06:10 AM | #5
You just have to keep reporting. If he keeps doing it they will eventually get him, trust me
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.9.3 67140

Storm-Cutter
07.27.2017 , 07:47 AM | #6
There is nothing in this game that stops 1 person ruining the experience for another 15 or indeed 23.

That should not happen. The ignore list should stop that person ever being in your group again. However it doesn't go that far.

However, the studio have done nothing about this kind of behaviour in PVP or GSF for years, so report and move on. Hopefully someone will look into it if enough people do the same. - Streaming the match always helps with evidence.
- Or just screenshot the scorecard afterward, and chat to the players on your team to encourage as many as you can to file a report.

Personally, I would say that continuous suicide-ing for trolling, credits, conquest, dailies, and their precious CXP is borderline exploitation.

GL OP. I hope you get some justice. - Safe flying.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

bncsmom
07.27.2017 , 06:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
The ignore list should stop that person ever being in your group again.
This works with group finder flashpoints. Unfortunately ignoring them does not work for warzones or GSF.

dscount
07.31.2017 , 11:37 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by bncsmom View Post
This works with group finder flashpoints. Unfortunately ignoring them does not work for warzones or GSF.
I've seen the same thing when I ignore folks that go AFK in GSF and nose pick until go non-contributing. Seconds later they fire single shot and nothing we can do about it. Still saw them in the very next match even after ignored.
Reference Link: Why not? http://www.swtor.com/r/FDltnT
WTB Legacy Bound Ear, Implants, Relics

Verain
08.01.2017 , 10:07 AM | #9
There's three types of players that can ruin your game pretty quick.

The first is the Inveterate Foodship. This player is terrible, he can't hit things, and he dies a lot. He is an active menace to your team: you'd be better off if he left the match. He's trying as best he can, and it's shockingly awful. You might think you were once as bad as him... but you probably weren't.

The second is the AFK Farmer. This player hates that he "has" to GSF, even though he doesn't have to, and he will avoid participating as much as he can. He's not actually AFK- if you try to kick him, he will get in combat or whatever. Since kicking requires everyone to go push buttons as a coordinated team, he's a burden even if you manage to get the kick off.

The third is the Griefing Self Destructor. This player hates his team, and crashes into rocks as much as possible in TDM to throw the game.

In theory, the latter two are actionable- these actions are against the ToS, and players can be temp or even perma banned for them. The issue is that you can't tell the second from the first with any automated method, and so the second type of player generally persists unless everyone constantly spams reports on him, which is really very rare. Bioware doesn't want to accidentally ban an Inveterate Foodship just to clean up AFK Farmers (nor would we players generally want a potential new GSFer to get in trouble just because they are magnificently terrible), so in practice both do their things.

This thread is about that third type of player, and in general, if everyone reports that guy, eventually he will be actioned. This seems to take longer than it used to, and based on other complaints on other forums, I think that's sort of true of other PvP bad-behavers. But it is not allowed to SD repeatedly for the purposes of throwing matches, so keep spamming reports against those guys when you find them.

Long term, I'd like to see something that scales up respawns on players who die immediately in TDM (in Dom this behavior rarely matters) to prevent this from being as big of an issue as it is now- ultimately this player needs to be actioned by a GM, but it would be great if, in the span of time between the player beginning malicious action and a GM ending it, the player would have less influence over matches.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Storm-Cutter
08.01.2017 , 01:18 PM | #10
Not quite a 4th type, but there are a significant number of people who queue and quit the minute you go 3-0 down in dom, or get 2-capped in TDM. - Obviously they don't get any reward ( nor should they), but it leaves a team on the backfoot, even further behind, as they have to battle on with 7v8 ( 11v12) and wait for a back-fill ( if any arrive)

Unless this game gets active moderators or responds quickly to reports, I'm sorry to say that this ( these) situations will continue.

I've seen my fair share of matches turned around by a determined team, won in the last seconds or get so close to victory that it always inspires me to keep trying.... doing my best, pushing my hardest.... Never say 'die!'
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================