Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Diplomacy] Diplo missions giving me darkside points even though display says light.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Diplomacy] Diplo missions giving me darkside points even though display says light.

Vigilark
07.24.2017 , 02:25 AM | #1
I read this is a display glitch. My question is, am I messing up my character who is seeking to be lightside with darkside points? Can darkside points be easily removed somehow? Or should I ditch diplo? This character (my main) is a biochem. Also, diplo seems pricey. Can I break even with the stuff I get? Selling gtm as an example? Admittedly, I haven't done much market research, prefer killing stuff, much funner. Thank you for your time.

SteveTheCynic
07.24.2017 , 03:33 AM | #2
Historically (before 5.0 came out at the end of last year), Diplomacy missions gave either dark or light points depending on the mission, but they were the only missions of any sort that *inherently* gave points. Character missions gave (and still give) points based on decisions you make, but those points came from the decision, not the mission. At that time, the alignment symbol on Diplomacy missions correctly reflected the points you got.

With 5.0, they added the slider/toggle thing to express your character's support for the light or the dark. This makes ALL missions give dark or light points, depending on the toggle. The alignment symbol on Diplomacy missions now reflects the points you get from the slider/toggle, but the missions still give the dark or light points they used to give.

So, how to resolve this?

* First method: read the description of the mission, and that will give a clue as to which kind of "diplomacy-sourced" points you get. If your companion is going to lie, cheat, steal, or be generally underhanded, that's a good clue that the mission will give dark diplomacy-sourced points alongside whatever the toggle is set to. Otherwise, it'll be light.

* Second, more reliable method. Before launching the mission, point the mouse at the alignment symbol and read the points totals displayed in the tooltip that appears.

And yes, you can burn off those unwanted points. When the alignment you want reaches 100,000 points, adding more points of that type will, instead, reduce your count of the opposite alignment, if you have any.

Example: you have 100,000 light points and 150 dark points. You are Light IV because you have 99,850 net light points. You gain 100 light points. Instead of raising your Light total to 100,100, it reduces your dark points by 100, so you are at 100,000 light + 50 dark, net 99,950 light. Still Light IV.

Now you gain another 100 light from something. That wipes out the last 50 dark points, and the other 50 points you gained are lost. You are now at 100,000 Light, 0 dark, giving you Light V. If you now gain 100 dark points, you go back to Light IV (and lose the "The Pure" title that you gained when you became Light V). Alignment title are re-granted each time you raise your alignment high enough to qualify, and lost each time you go back lower.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Vigilark
07.24.2017 , 04:46 AM | #3
yea, I started reading and that actually helps. Slows me killing baddies down tho lol. Sort of annoying, rather just look at what it gives like the older days. I'm a returning player from long ago. So, by slider, can it be moved? Haven't noticed that if so.

Ah, thank you SO much. Just checked in game. Did not know you could mouse over and see the point reward. You've been a great help! Thanks!

SteveTheCynic
07.24.2017 , 05:28 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Vigilark View Post
yea, I started reading and that actually helps. Slows me killing baddies down tho lol. Sort of annoying, rather just look at what it gives like the older days. I'm a returning player from long ago. So, by slider, can it be moved? Haven't noticed that if so.

Ah, thank you SO much. Just checked in game. Did not know you could mouse over and see the point reward. You've been a great help! Thanks!
If you look around the screen, you'll find a thing with a dark-side symbol and a light-side symbol - be careful because it has an unpleasant tendency to hide behind or partially behind the minimap(1), but it can be moved - with one of the two highlighted. By default, on existing (that is, when 5.0 came out) characters, I *think* it follows their effective alignment when 5.0 came out. For new characters and neutral existing characters, the default is Republic = Light, Empire = Dark.

To change it, if it is fully visible, just click the side you want. If it is partially or fully hidden, and you want to change to the hidden part, use the Interface Editor to move it somewhere else. You can change it at any time, and it will affect all mission-completions that occur afterwards.
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!

Vercundus
07.24.2017 , 05:56 AM | #5
Err, shouldn't reaching max light or dark wipe other side clean instead of reducing as you say?
Choices matter... I choose not to sub until conquest is fixed...

My referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/jRpChs

SteveTheCynic
07.24.2017 , 08:03 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Vercundus View Post
Err, shouldn't reaching max light or dark wipe other side clean instead of reducing as you say?
Maybe, maybe not, but it *doesn't* wipe the opposite slate clean just because you gained 50 points when you were at 99,950. (If you think about it, it doesn't make sense to be able to wipe out 99,950 light points by gaining dark from 99,900 to 100,000 and thus go immediately from neutral with a slight light bias directly to Dark V, nor vice versa.)
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!

Mithros
07.24.2017 , 01:03 PM | #7
If you are fighting for the light side, that is, you have selected (or defaulted to and not changed) the light option on the light/dark buttons, then every crew skill mission will show light.

With diplomacy, though, some missions were inherently light and some inherently dark, so you will gain those points on top of the regular mission points.

If you are fighting for the light then you will still get more light points than dark for completing the mission, but you will get those dark points.

If it is a major concern, then mouse over the light (or dark) side icon in the mission itself and it will show you how many light and/or dark points you will earn.

Choose only those missions that offer the points that you like.

Well, first you have to reach level 5, right? So light points - dark points and then when the difference is enough to achieve a rank there you go.

When you finally hit level 5, further points of the proper sort will subtract from your earned points of the other side.

I do not know what the exact numbers are now, but let's say that you need 10,000 light side points to get Light 5.

So you have 5,000 dark points that means that you will have to have 15,000 light points, but those dark points still show on your balance sheet.

Once you get to that point, then further light points will subtract from those 5,000 dark points until, eventually, your balance sheet shows no dark points.

Unless you go out and get more, of course.
Free stuff (for you and me)! My referral link.

Beta Squadron 157. The pixel lives on in our hearts.

Vercundus
07.25.2017 , 02:03 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Maybe, maybe not, but it *doesn't* wipe the opposite slate clean just because you gained 50 points when you were at 99,950. (If you think about it, it doesn't make sense to be able to wipe out 99,950 light points by gaining dark from 99,900 to 100,000 and thus go immediately from neutral with a slight light bias directly to Dark V, nor vice versa.)
Every case I encountered this is when I had somewhat small amount of opposite side points. So, both could be true. I have a toon that has substantiation amount of opposite side points and I'll report back when it reaches max DS. I still think I read numerous times that other side is cleaned on reaching max. Someone else should confirm or deny.
Choices matter... I choose not to sub until conquest is fixed...

My referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/jRpChs

SteveTheCynic
07.26.2017 , 05:42 AM | #9
Every case I encountered this is when I had somewhat small amount of opposite side points. So, both could be true. I have a toon that has substantiation amount of opposite side points and I'll report back when it reaches max DS. I still think I read numerous times that other side is cleaned on reaching max. Someone else should confirm or deny.
I've had a couple of characters who got to max pointage on one side with a few hundred (or in one case, several thousand) on the other. The not-max side didn't suddenly go to zero. They burned off gradually as I gained more points on the maxed side.
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!