Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GSF Discussion: Itemization

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
07.06.2017 , 12:38 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

This week, we are creating three separate forum threads for GSF discussion. You can head to this thread to get links to each of them.

In this thread, let's focus on itemization. For a long time we have made it a point to keep Galactic Starfighter as a separate progression from the rest of SWTOR. Command XP has helped a great deal by giving GSF players a method of progressing their characters while playing Starfighter, beyond the XP you already receive.

One thing we are considering is adding more ways for GSF players to enhance their "ground game" characters. This would most likely be through a vendor where you could purchase items. What do you think of this idea? What types of things would you want to see on the vendor?

Be as specific as possible! Let us know your thoughts.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

GeorgeWhite
07.06.2017 , 01:30 PM | #2
I'd say crafting mats & some new decorations are the most obvious things which come to mind.
Maybe if you are not going with legacy hangar, place some legacy bound requisition grants to vendor.
Also rank 6 companion gifts as there's a deficit of them at the moment (mainly because they cost 250k)

HuaRya
07.06.2017 , 01:44 PM | #3
It would be very cool that once you master a certain model of ship you can then display that ship in your stronghold. Be able to do that on the Large site hook NOT just the centerpiece.

crubel
07.06.2017 , 02:23 PM | #4
Disclaimer: I am a player that was excited and tried GSF at launch, but quickly stopped playing it. I'm not sure if that means my feedback is more or less important.

Since this is about itemization, I did feel that playing GSF meant my entire character was "on pause" as I was only progressing GSF on that character only, and that impacted nothing else. It didn't feel woven into the game. Ultimately, I would only go back to GSF if I thought I was going to be rewarded for it in the ground game. Also, don't just make the relationship one way. Allow GSF to progress the ground game, but allow the ground game to progress GSF.

Here is what I would be interested in:
Ground Game Perks from GSF
  • New ground game companions acquired via GSF
  • New armor sets. Pilot themed, but they need to be cool. I'm not asking for "generic frigate pilot clothes", but "what would the hero of tython wear as a fighter pilot?" clothes
  • Legacy off hands. Weapons for sure, but please, off hands
  • Decorations. We need a ton of these, and I mainly play the game for strongholds these days anyways.
  • Put up some dye scheamtics for crafters. Since few people play GSF, let a GSF crafter corner the market on some dyes. If people don't like it, play GSF.
  • You know those planet quick travel abilities we can buy in the legacy window per character? Why not sell some variation of that here? Perhaps an unlock to discount planet to planet travel, or something new related to planet hopping travel that would be a GSF perk. Perhaps something similar to the guildship orbital support that could be sold/acquired via playing GSF that impacts the ground game.

GSF Perks from Ground Game
  • I would like to be able to progress GSF, even if slowly, via playing the ground game. Meaning, I can get a ship upgrade or two from playing the ground game after doing some dailies or heroics, as opposed to getting owned as a noob in GSF for dozens of matches against pros before I can get one upgrade for my ship.
Click below for my referral link! Anyone can use it to get free stuff, such as in game items and 7 free days of subscription.
http://www.swtor.com/r/GVLknx

Details on the referral program are here.
http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Sportiva
07.06.2017 , 02:36 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by HuaRya View Post
It would be very cool that once you master a certain model of ship you can then display that ship in your stronghold. Be able to do that on the Large site hook NOT just the centerpiece.
Definitely this ...
Master Jaice Jenod Guardian | Velo Jenx Gunslinger | Master Gira Jenx Sage | Major Jaxen Jenod Vanguard
Saena Jenod Mercenary | Dulymus Jenod Operative | Darth Scoura Assassin | Darth Zetara Marauder

JSarc
07.06.2017 , 03:33 PM | #6
I think GSF should earn Valor. It is a form of PvP and would allow those of us who love GSF, but not Arenas to gain Valor. I'm not suggesting the payout be anywhere close, just that some valor be rewarded.

JediBoadicea
07.06.2017 , 03:43 PM | #7
Many of us have long felt (and I made a point of calling it out at Community Cantinas too) that rewards for GSF are badly needed, even just cosmetic ones (though I hesitate to say "just" since we know that cosmetic rewards are huge motivators). GSF has been far too isolated from the rest of the game, and any possible integration would be very welcome!

I previously made a post suggesting that GSF be permitted to work toward earning reputation with the Republic Hyperspace Armada/Imperial First Mobile Fleet faction, and to add more reward items to that associated vendor. I really feel this would be a good way to tie two aspects of the game together in a way that would reward fans of both GSF and Space Missions, and improved rewards for that faction could give players who've never tried either game mode more reason to do so.

While that thread got a little derailed (as threads in the forum often do), I know that from my discussion with other GSFers over the years (like many, I've been flying since early access for GSF launched) we would all like to see more rewards to buy with our Fleet Comms! (For most of us, we are sitting at that 10,000 comms cap with nothing to buy!) Decos seem to be the most common suggestion (I linked to some suggestions in my above linked post), but more pilot-themed gear wouldn't go amiss.

As others have said, I think the most exciting reward would be ship decos that could match the customization for the ships in your hangar, but I imagine that might be rather difficult to execute. There are plenty of other deco options to be had, though.

I have to echo some of Crubel's excellent suggestions here too:

Quote: Originally Posted by crubel View Post
  • New ground game companions acquired via GSF
  • New armor sets. Pilot themed, but they need to be cool. I'm not asking for "generic frigate pilot clothes", but "what would the hero of tython wear as a fighter pilot?" clothes
  • Legacy off hands. Weapons for sure, but please, off hands
  • Decorations. We need a ton of these, and I mainly play the game for strongholds these days anyways.
  • Put up some dye scheamtics for crafters. Since few people play GSF, let a GSF crafter corner the market on some dyes. If people don't like it, play GSF.
All of these are truly excellent suggestions. Both factions already have a set of NPCs who were introduced as your default crew members when you start GSF, and who feature briefly in the intro to the Kuat Drive Yards FP. Being able to acquire these companions would be a wonderful perk, for both companion collectors and RPers, and of course for GSFers to finally be able to fly their GSF colors as it were.

Legacy off-hands would also be a nice way to give people two options (this new GSF one added to the Gree event) for acquiring these items. More choice! More incentive!

Dye modules also incentivize both crafters and RPers, and everyone wants customization options. I would suggest you look at more colors in the vein of the Olive/Tan and Uniform Blue modules that got released with the last pack, because these were excellent, less-saturated colors that convey the feel of the "used future" Star Wars look for our battle-worn spacers. Though it certainly wouldn't hurt to make one of these a Black + Whatever color as well, since those modules are already in high demand. I'd kill for a Black + Olive/Khaki/Uniform Blue type variant.

Monumenta
07.06.2017 , 03:48 PM | #8
GSF Companions as ground game companions purchasable with comms would be awesome, and more decos.

Verain
07.06.2017 , 03:49 PM | #9
Be as specific as possible?

I want my ships, as I have them set up in game, to appear in my strongholds. Probably not feasible, but that would be a great item.
I want my GSF themed stronghold to be a place where a GSFer would consider going, for some reason. Right now, the GSF flight deck is where to go if you want to see other pilots some of the time. Obviously, a mission console that delivered the GSF daily and weekly (but not the other PvP missions) would be a huge deal, but I think you hate that for some reason I don't care about.
Anyway, my point is, my stronghold should reflect all my GSFing. I can't even get most of the GSF-specific decorations easily, and there's no GSF-specific decoration for the majority of the GSF ships.

Further, it would be nice to get a few more GSF-themed gear pieces than currently available, for characters.

But are we talking about ACTUAL GEAR? Right now, I get raid gear from GSFing. That's a wild and crazy gift that I would have never asked for, and it has increased activity and interest (previously, the reward allocation was pretty punishing: playing GSF was time spent NOT progressing your ground game character, and all other activities WERE). As long as CXP and components are in game, I don't think any GSFer has a reason to complain about gearing their ground game character.

But hey, if you want fleet tokens, or requisition, to turn into stuff too, I wouldn't be sad. A gold-mastered ship (as opposed to a silver-mastered cartel ship) with all component slots maxed being used to buy something ground-game relevant would probably be just fine.

I'm just kinda puzzled that you are thinking about adding actual gear to this game mode, given that it already makes gear. But maybe it is making gear too slowly for some players? I feel you have done REALLY well with GSF rewards, with huge amounts of meaningful ship upgrades delivered quickly, CXP crates raining, etc. Maybe someone can yell at me if I'm missing something.

But cosmetic gear and items, GSF is really hurting on, relatively.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Lendul
07.06.2017 , 03:55 PM | #10
A good start might be to have a GSF reputation for each faction. Maybe a companion acquired through & whose influence increases with GSF gameplay like M1-4X & Major Pierce does with ground PvP.

Ranked GSF that would allow us to buy Unassembled Gear Pieces, GSF themed armor, weapons, decorations, tunings, color crystals, pets that unlock in collections. Different variations of all these things could be sold at the GSF rep vendor as well.

A GSF leaderboard showing the top in all the categories that are already tracked in game.