Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Discussion Topic: Bolster Changes in PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Discussion Topic: Bolster Changes in PvP
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
06.29.2017 , 08:13 AM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

For this week’s discussion topic, let’s talk about Bolster! This has been a hot-button item since the launch of 5.0 due to various changes which have been made. Here is a bit of a history on what we have done so far:
When we launched Eternal Throne Bolster increased everyone’s item rating up to 250 (which was 8 higher than the highest possible gear rating of 242 at the time). This meant that gear was irrelevant in PvP as Bolster made an equal playing field. However, it is our design intent that players in all gameplay have some form of gear progression and so in Game Update 5.1 we lowered the effect of Bolster in PvP to 232. To compensate for the launch of Tier 4 gear we increased Bolsters effect in PvP to item rating 238.
There have been numerous feedback threads on both sides of the fence on this topic, but it seems the larger consensus is that players would like to see a higher bolster rating in PvP to lower the overall gear gap. With that in mind we want to present 3 possible options and see what you think:
  1. Bolster is equal to item rating 238. - This is how it works today, this effectively puts you slightly above Tier 2 gear.
  2. Bolster is equal to item rating 240. – This would place Bolster equal to the start of Tier 3 gear. There would now be an 8 rating difference between Bolster and the highest tier of gear (248). For reference this is identical to the gap that existed for Bolster prior to 5.0.
  3. Bolster is equal to item rating 242. – This would place Bolster at the top end of Tier 3 gear, meaning only Tier 4 gear is above it.

Let us know what you think? Do you like Bolster where it is? Do you want to see it go up?

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Jake_Chambers
06.29.2017 , 08:20 AM | #2
Bolster should be as high as possible. It's really painful to be not able to play alts because of how hard it is to gear, and a higher bolster would help
TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE
REVALIO
astor best egirlfriend

micnevv
06.29.2017 , 08:21 AM | #3
CXP was an attempt by Bioware to make end-game activities more accessible to everyone. However it is my opinion that they ended up making it even worse for the dedicated/end-game players. This change has also resulted in some worrying gear gaps that should never have existed in a modern day PVP scenario.

First off, your options DO NOT FIX THE GEAR GAP! It still takes a ridiculous amount of time to achieve 248 gear through PVP. This is not a good fix.

Main Points –

Current PVP Gearing Speed : Gearing up trough purely PVPing takes too long. I could spend 20 hours farming master mode chapter one and be better geared than a guy farming PVP for 60 hours.

Gear Gap / Time Spent : Even if you did increase bolster to something like 242, it would still take too long for someone to reach 248 gear. Increasing bolster without adding PVP gear does not solve the issue, it is merely a band aid fix the will come back to bite you later on.

Character Progression : Character progression is a very important part of any RPG. Without some form of character progression the player will feel like they have not accomplished anything. This is why having PVP gear is somewhat important. Maxing out bolster to 250 may be a temporary fix, however the player needs to feel that their character has improved. Adding a tiny power increase such as an additional 3% would help with character progression. Please note that this 3% increase should be easily obtainable in around 2 days of PVPing.

Character / Inventory Management: A lot of people seem to forget that they are playing an RPG. Having to manage you character is not a bad thing, in fact it is a selling point for most games. An extra gear set in your inventory isn’t the end of the world. At a certain point QOL changes stop being QOL changes, instead they just stomp on basic concepts of the game.

Catering To The Wrong People : You are currently trying to get people who do not PVP to PVP. I agree that playing other game activities should be encouraged, however scrapping certain aspects of the game for these people is not the way to do it.

So what is my suggestion?

Temporarily increase bolster to 250 item level until bolster has been adjusted for the re-introduction of PVP gear.

Then bring back easy to acquire PVP gear (4.0 gearing speed) and significantly increase bolster to be somewhere around 3% less stats than an augmented set of tier 1 PVP gear. No matter what item level you have, be it 230 or 248 you will be bolstered to 3% below PVP tier 1.

This change would allow PVEers and casuals to hop in without having to worry about gear while also rewarding PVPers in a meaningful and time appropriate way.

---------------------------------------------------

I'll say this again one last time : Getting to 248 from scratch takes too long - This does not work well in PVP.

i would also like to direct you to your very own post regarding PVP gearing speed from a few years ago : http://www.swtor.com/blog/pvp-econom...ame-update-3.3

oli-fynnobi
06.29.2017 , 08:25 AM | #4
I would like to have a bolster to 242.
Navush, Apex Juggernaut
<All-Star Sync Squad>
Support me for playing Jugg DPS in 2k17: http://www.swtor.com/r/gVQY6L

TUXs
06.29.2017 , 08:32 AM | #5
Option 4 Eric - Bolster to 246 level.

This allows a tiny bit of room to improve stats, but effectively removes the gear gap. 248 gear will still be sought after, keeping the grind exactly as it is now.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer • 7-day FREE sub • FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

merovejec
06.29.2017 , 08:35 AM | #6
1. Bolster is equal to item rating 238. - This is how it works today, this effectively puts you slightly above Tier 2 gear.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements before 5.9.2 67040

K_osss
06.29.2017 , 08:35 AM | #7
I'd like to see bolster be a bit higher than it is now but I personally still like a little incentive to gear up and see a slight improvement in my character/stats.

JojoMagus
06.29.2017 , 08:38 AM | #8
Spent 25 mil on end gear 246 armor mods/main hand weapons/off hand weapons (no relics/no implants/no augments/no relics).

I have heard someone gave up on PVP because of well geared ranked players playing in unranked. I would say make PVP max out on bolster for everyone, so the only ones losing is the one slow on the uptake.

Lionflash
06.29.2017 , 08:40 AM | #9
Giving all players a 248 bolster doesn't mean all players have optimized stats, even at max level gear. So what if everyone gets bolstered up to 248 and PVP-gear progression & UCs are for PVPers who want to tweak their stats and squeeze out more dps/hps/etc

Eloi_BG
06.29.2017 , 08:40 AM | #10
Option 3 (242 bolster)
Makes the difference between 248 and bolster small enough to make playing low geared alts enjoyable. Keeps a good sense of actual progress when you get 248 stuff.
Nemio the Acceptable Player