Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ - Road Map 2017

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ - Road Map 2017
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Xo-Lara
06.25.2017 , 04:42 PM | #821
Would people go through and play again if the story was amended with new paths instead of trying to build past it for a while? I mean adding in new dialogue, chances to use different companions, and making that "Companion remembers this" mechanics factor in more.

I guess what I'm asking is, if the devs patch the story in the two expansions, would people be content to work with them while they do that?
If you like my stronghold threads such as this and this, please consider using my referral link. It will reward us both. Or you could post your support for one of my threads.
{Ξ(Θ)!!██████████████████

Deewe
06.25.2017 , 05:27 PM | #822
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlanzche View Post
This was very Humorous to read. But you are Overthinking this.
You forgot the most important part, the fact that each new piece would have to be approved.

BTW SWG emu is on the edge. Disney can pull the plug, legally, whenever they want to.
-----
[HOW_TO] Mouse look toogle

Eshvara
06.25.2017 , 10:24 PM | #823
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
I agree with this sentiment, the companion conversations in the original 8 class storylines was always something I really looked forward to. It was always a great way to develop romances, to get to know them and to help their in their little quests. It was such a unique and lovely feature which I do miss quite a bit in KotET and KotFE. The companions have lost their uniqueness a tad as they have become a little bit of interchangable furniture as someone pointed out in another thread, which is a pity. Having those companion conversations back would be great, especially as it could also enhance the romances a little bit as they are a bit... underdeveloped in my opinion in the two new expansions. You only get an interaction ever so often and you can't take things really serious with your partners, like marry Theron or Lana for example. I do miss that quite a bit, yeah.
It would be pretty neat to have your companion or mainly LI have conversations outside the main story! It feels a lot more personal. I did like seeing my companion matter more in the main story, which is what I found lacking in the vanilla story apart from the time you recruit them.
#Arcannite
||Refer a friend🙋|| The wheel... spins... again.
💫Darth Malgus💫

Vlanzche
06.26.2017 , 12:53 AM | #824
Quote: Originally Posted by Deewe View Post
You forgot the most important part, the fact that each new piece would have to be approved.

BTW SWG emu is on the edge. Disney can pull the plug, legally, whenever they want to.
Doesn't defeat the fact that some Players are still Preferring SWG over SWTOR. This alone shows how much part of the Star Wars MMO Community likes those SWG's concepts - to go so far as to Play it even after it "officially" shuts down speaks volumes.

Same goes for Vanilla WoW Servers.
No Life is without Meaning, No Living thing is too small to be Strong
~ Christopher Moeller

Icykill_
06.26.2017 , 05:12 AM | #825
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlanzche View Post
Doesn't defeat the fact that some Players are still Preferring SWG over SWTOR. This alone shows how much part of the Star Wars MMO Community likes those SWG's concepts - to go so far as to Play it even after it "officially" shuts down speaks volumes.

Same goes for Vanilla WoW Servers.
I'd love a Vanilla Swtor server.. pre 3.0
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

KeithKanneg
06.26.2017 , 07:38 PM | #826 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by dontbeswg View Post
I'm sure this has been treaded on but I wanted to drop my dime on this.

Keith,

Since your arrival to the team, Personally and collectively, a lot of hope was restored that this game would return to being a functional MMO. Your statements seemed to reflect that you understood this, and I personally enjoyed your ground level gamer feel. However, subs are not returning and that community wide hope is dying out because this game still is not a functional mmo. Now I won't blame Ben for 4.0 and the Cxp failure because EA has had enough time to course correct.

Let me get to the core question I have Keith: why did you guys decide to divert production to other aspects of the game BEFORE you finished the new operation completely?

My commentary on the question, regardless of your response if I receive it. You seem to be a knowledgeable MMO gamer familiar enough with the landscape to understand why WoW is still going strong at over a decade. Clarifying, it's two reasons; 1) playability (you can play it on a horrible system) but more importantly 2) every content update of the game comes with at least 1 new raid experience! Until EA commits to this formula, I don't see this game being a factor in the market any longer.

Hopefully you read this, I'm sure it's been said but I would like a reply.
Hey,

There's been many questions similar to yours, plus quite a few PMs (still reading those), asking me about the direction of the game. But, why divert resources before delivering a full operation seemed like it could be helpful to address directly.

Diverting suggests we only focus on Operations while ignoring the other game play systems. As many would attest to, we essentially did that the last couple years with our focus on KOTFE and KOTET. Yet, we learned a lot about content delivery and timing. We decided to leverage that into providing multi-player content on a more frequent basis, preferably every 5-6 weeks, although some content takes longer, such as Operation Boss encounters.

During the development of the Boss fights, I think it's prudent for us to work on other game play systems and deliver those changes instead of making everyone wait until the end of the year. That may not be the answer you were looking for, but it is the direction the team has agreed to for the foreseeable future.

---Keith
Keith Kanneg | Game Producer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Vlanzche
06.26.2017 , 08:20 PM | #827
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey,

There's been many questions similar to yours, plus quite a few PMs (still reading those), asking me about the direction of the game. But, why divert resources before delivering a full operation seemed like it could be helpful to address directly.

Diverting suggests we only focus on Operations while ignoring the other game play systems. As many would attest to, we essentially did that the last couple years with our focus on KOTFE and KOTET. Yet, we learned a lot about content delivery and timing. We decided to leverage that into providing multi-player content on a more frequent basis, preferably every 5-6 weeks, although some content takes longer, such as Operation Boss encounters.

During the development of the Boss fights, I think it's prudent for us to work on other game play systems and deliver those changes instead of making everyone wait until the end of the year. That may not be the answer you were looking for, but it is the direction the team has agreed to for the foreseeable future.

---Keith
Making Progress :3
No Life is without Meaning, No Living thing is too small to be Strong
~ Christopher Moeller

SilverStarSeaker
06.26.2017 , 09:48 PM | #828
Psssssst, Keith.
Any news on ranked?

Jamtas
06.26.2017 , 10:48 PM | #829
Hey,

---Keith
Understandably, many here have gotten used to the idea that only one thing can be worked on a time. Nice to see that the message that all play styles are important and can't be left on sideline for a year+ waiting for "their turn" has arrived. I really like your approach and style thus far- I truly do. It brought me back to sub and I'm hopeful that you are really going to take the game/community to a better state.

Speaking more to the future as I realize that you taking over doesn't change the fact there was an established pipeline set prior to your new regime:

Do you envision that we are going to be getting more traditional expansions in the future (entire raid, new fps, some story, new wz, new daily area - Makab/Oricon/SOR style and purchased separately from subscription) or is the KOTFE/KOTET model (included in sub and released in pieces) the format to expect?
the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Peace out.

Costello
06.26.2017 , 11:26 PM | #830
Hey,

---Keith
Keith, as you appear to be reading the forums and with luck acting on what is said I would like to offer an alternative view to the one that you quoted.

That is World of Warcraft is succeeding not because it can be run on an old machine looking like a bad 90's cartoon, as gamers that see an MMO as something worth investing in don't then use a 14 year old machine and still pay over a subscription and additional fees on cosmetic gear. Lets face it people that aren't interested in upgrading their graphics card every 5 or so years aren't going to feel that new weapon is worth a 20 buck investment cause it will make their experience that much the nicer.

WoW is succeeding in-spite of its limited aesthetically appeal but because it offers content and lots of it. Not just raids and the content it offers appeals to the player base. Take relic weapons, from 100's level you grind out your class specific best unique (personally tailored till you got it all) weapon. No range lock boxes, not need to do any specific content though some is better than others. Playing the single solo story will get you relic power. Sure its a stupid grind but your making progress not getting to rank 300, getting a box of junk and then regrinding rank 300 for more junk!

So that aside, the idea that offering a raid boss every 3 months as it seems to be the plan seems unlikely to work. You have ignored the raid community for the last 2 years, if any are left they are either happy with the raids in the game or the primary lure is something else because if it was all about the raids as has been mentioned WoW is adding them far more consistently and would appeal to that play style far more. So adding one boss in the first 6 months of 2017 is not going to be enough to get people that have left to come back, an entire raid in WoW or one boss in ToR. The lure isn't there, the same goes for flash points and the like, you can't ignore these aspects for years then add one and expect people to be excited and give ToR another go if the new content can be completed in an evening.

So the focus on Multiple player aspects seems too little to generate sufficient interest. While perhaps more disappointingly this seems to be a move away from the last 2 years of story. Where certain people rally and cry 'You have had story for the last two years'. True, But it was an awful story. For the last 2 years we have had keeping up with the Valkorians, with our characters shoe horned into a one size fits all story that made no sense. Even if you ignore the masses of plot holes, the seemingly meaningless story arcs and the constant betrayals and lack of any real choice. Koth does the exact same thing no matter what you choose! SCORPIO is just as absent no matter what your choice. You have a story that was sadly dull about an all powerful god being that seemed to go no where and then abruptly end. Hell we had 3 missions devoted to an attack on a spire that achieved nothing. It became generic and ultimately left the player the most powerful person in the galaxy only not really cause Theron and Lana dictate every step of the way. And to top it off we learn we have been betrayed yet again! The go to move of the creative team and once again no matter what choice you make, you are the most unpopular hated tyrant in the galaxy and everyone is lining up to betray you. And that is saying something given who sat on the throne before you and loyal their followers were.

It feels that the ToR team is incredibly small, with the focus being on the Cartel Market, which week after week will get a post on whats on sale. Its mentioned it will be an op boss or some other form of content. It takes six months to do balancing changes, with balance being very far from what is being sought by all account of the post. Based solely on dps targets on a dummy completely ignoring utility, defence, self heals or every how most op bosses force melee off target for far more than 5% of the fight. While there has been a vast improvement in communication, nothing seems to have made it into the game that would attract players to give it another shot. And from the road map it seems unlikely anything will be added.