Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Idea: Players' Player Codex

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ylliarus
06.23.2017 , 03:52 AM | #1
So I had this idea that I thought could be a nice little cosmetic addition to the game. As this is a MMORPG, this idea focusing on the RPG part, a lot of players make up backstories for their characters to either use it in the actual gameplay through the story and expansions, while others use it to write out scenes, scenarios and events with other players doing the same (basically tabletop RP but then ingame). Now we have this great feature called the Player Codex that is a treasure trove of lore and story of the game, it is one of the features I consider to be the best ingame as it really shapes and creates the universe of Star Wars The Old Republic.

Now, our characters are part of this universe and game, however, when people do create backstories for their characters it's usually in their head and sadly other players can't enjoy it alongside them. RP'ers in the tabletop sense have their RP forums which serve as databases for their characters and such. However, what if both kinds of (role)players could do that ingame and have other players read it as well?

Enter my idea, Players' Player Codexes. Basically it would be a seperate tab in the Player Codex screen where a player could have two options, first would be to write their own codex about their character. They could include backstory in there, planet of origin, their full names and so on. They could write their toon's story there, but that would be only the first part of the new feature. The second feature would be a sub-tab where players can "collect" other player's stories. Perhaps when right-clicking on another player's portrait to have all those commands appear, a new command could be added "View Player's Codex Entry". Once clicking that you'd get the pop-up like you get with other lore objects and entries, so players would have to give their entry a title (could be as simple as their character's full name). The player who collected the Player Codex Entry then can open it and read the other character's backstory.
Something that could be added to this is for example the option to delete one of the collected Player Codex Entries, for example if it is something you don't want to read but didn't know what you could expect in their entry. In such a case a "delete player codex entry" could be added to the tab where you'd have your entries collected so that at any time you could clean up your collection if you'd feel the need to do so.

So what does the community think of this idea? I do believe there are some MMO's out there (WoW I think but correct me if I am mistaken) that already have such a feature, so with the Player Codex system it would be a huge and amazing addition to the game in my opinion
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

CharlesBoyd
06.23.2017 , 08:02 AM | #2 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I've definitely taken advantage of similar features in other MMOs, so I'm a fan for sure Suggestion noted!
Charles Boyd | Creative Director
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

XhrisShan
06.23.2017 , 11:32 AM | #3
Sounds good to me.
In a similar vein:
  • Allow for more connections (and more types of connection) in the Family Tree section of the Legacy Window
  • Players' alts as SH decorations? (admittedly this would probably be quite difficult)

JattaGin
06.23.2017 , 12:00 PM | #4
This is a fantastic idea! So fantastic that I wonder why I didn't think of it myself in all those years.

I would love to be able to collect other players' codexes. And write my own one(s).
Bioware offers a friend referal system which gives referred players a couple of goodies (incl. 7 free days of sub and a neat free inventory slot for every character) and referring players some little shinies and cartel coins.
I would be happy if you choose my referral link to grab your free goodies.

Chellearia
06.23.2017 , 12:18 PM | #5
I have been writing down lots of my characters' background info. It'd be interesting to be able to have them in-game as well as being able to read others'.
I would def do more with the family tree if I could too. My original thought was to have mine all be the children of a prolific force-wielding scoundrel; but the set-up doesn't allow for that

More importantly, I wish there were a way to look up previous decisions my characters have made. Since all 10 of my toons have their own storyline, it is sometimes difficult to remember their individual choices.

Mzuta
06.23.2017 , 01:28 PM | #6
Great Idea

Ylliarus
06.23.2017 , 04:29 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
I've definitely taken advantage of similar features in other MMOs, so I'm a fan for sure Suggestion noted!
Thank you for taking note as well as the lovely replies from everyone ^_^ they are much appreciated!
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.

Elssha
06.23.2017 , 05:05 PM | #8
It would also be great if (with mutual agreement) players could add other players to their family tree. I know RPers have done RP where other players (not player's alts) are a toon's parents/spouses/ enemies, etc) and it would be nice to add that to the tree.

Ylliarus
06.23.2017 , 05:12 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Elssha View Post
It would also be great if (with mutual agreement) players could add other players to their family tree. I know RPers have done RP where other players (not player's alts) are a toon's parents/spouses/ enemies, etc) and it would be nice to add that to the tree.
Expansion of the legacy tree in such a way and as was suggested in a previous reply would be great yeah. I'd imagine it is a somewhat difficult feature to implement but surely not impossible. As a fellow rp'er I'd definitely consider it a great feature to have

Sefeki
06.23.2017 , 05:27 PM | #10
I like the sound of that. Having a Player Codex/write up. Something other players can look at when they inspect you!