Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Original Companion Romances Revised To Include LGBT?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Original Companion Romances Revised To Include LGBT?

ZionHalcyon
06.20.2017 , 02:27 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
I get the LGB romances, but what are the T romances?
The T is for Trandoshan.....

So.....

Kephess....

Lionflash
06.20.2017 , 02:34 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
The T is for Trandoshan.....

So.....

Kephess....

I'm 100% in.

Xo-Lara
06.20.2017 , 02:37 PM | #13
If they used original companions whose romantic affiliations had not been commented on then I don't think I would care as it wouldn't be a retcon.
If you like my stronghold threads such as this and this, please consider using my referral link. It will reward us both. Or you could post your support for one of my threads.
{Ξ(Θ)!!██████████████████

Jagaimee
06.20.2017 , 02:43 PM | #14
Not happening. They're not going to change anything story-wise from vanilla. The opening cutscene changes for each class was purely of a cinematic value, not voice acting and NPC reactions, for example. To go back and add new "romances" for every romanceable companion would a) screw up an unholy amount of coding (likely for the same reasons they've already said nope to gender changes for PC's), and b) require A LOT of new voice acting from every companion and PC voice actor. Not going to happen.

Besides, if it *did* happen, can you imagine the sheer outcry of rage from the forums here? "You're FORCING us to go back and play EVERYTHING WE'VE PLAYED AGAIN to enjoy LGBTalphabetsoup+ romances!!1!" Cue cries - somehow - of "homophobic" and "sexist" and whatnot. No matter what, people would complain, and with a hot-button subject like this, it'd get exploded out of proportion and overshadow any other legitimate issue people may have.
"'But why,' some say, 'choose the moon? Why choose this as our goal?' And they might well ask, 'Why climb the highest mountain? Why, thirty-five years ago, fly the Atlantic?' Why click some random person's referral link?'"
- JFK...mostly. Save for that last part (FAQ about referral links)....... Quinnmancer

Jdast
06.20.2017 , 02:54 PM | #15
As a proud and out member representing the "G" in the LGBT community, I would say no. The reason is resource constraints and the obvious direction they are taking companions -- basically as interchangeable 'pieces of furniture' to quote a previous poster. My female Sith Warrior romanced Quinn and, frankly, was a bit disappointed by the 'return.' Sure, there were a few specific lines, but no many. My super hunky commando is romancing Dorne, I'm curious to see what happens when I get him through the storyline -- if it's like Quinn -- not much.

Had they originally started with the option then sure -- but it would take a lot of effort and resources to go back and retcon the storylines. Just not worth it when there are other far more pressing issues.

Not trying to be curmudgeonly here, just suggesting there are priorities.

TL;DR: Companion, even class specific storylines (except for maybe the off quest like they did in Shad of Revan) are gone. RP is now in our heads, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Eshvara
06.20.2017 , 03:10 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Xo-Lara View Post
I would prefer not but here is why. I prefer characters to be written as people with distinct perspectives not replaceable widgets to be gamed by the player. It breaks story immersion for me. If you make a straight character, leave them straight. If you make a gay character, leave them gay. If you make a Bi or pan character, you get the point. Why should I care about a character when storywise they are really just reflecting what any given player wants to see at that moment? They stop being characters and start being more like exchangable furniture for me.

I feel this way beyond romances too. If the character dislikes something, give them a reason and don't go back on that without some character development. I feel the story is better, more whole, and easier to write when starting conditions are made with a rationale and followed through on.

However, I admit I play the game more to see the story than to game it.
Exactly!!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Maybe it's very minor, but you can take companion gifts as an example. Theron likes republic stuff, pierce likes military stuff Arcann likes imperial stuff and weapons etc. It still adds to their character. Same goes with romance, but on a much larger scale. I want my love interest to have a certain character and it always gets diminished when suggestions like the op has happens. Andromeda and DAI have it, and it gives the LI something extra. Don't take it away from swtor!!

Add new characters for different sexualities, don't ruin the old ones just to shoehorn something in. Same goes for playersexual.
#Arcannite
||Refer a friend🙋|| Order of Zildrog cultist.🐲
💫Darth Malgus💫

Ylliarus
06.20.2017 , 03:11 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
As a proud and out member representing the "G" in the LGBT community, I would say no. The reason is resource constraints and the obvious direction they are taking companions -- basically as interchangeable 'pieces of furniture' to quote a previous poster. My female Sith Warrior romanced Quinn and, frankly, was a bit disappointed by the 'return.' Sure, there were a few specific lines, but no many. My super hunky commando is romancing Dorne, I'm curious to see what happens when I get him through the storyline -- if it's like Quinn -- not much.

Had they originally started with the option then sure -- but it would take a lot of effort and resources to go back and retcon the storylines. Just not worth it when there are other far more pressing issues.

Not trying to be curmudgeonly here, just suggesting there are priorities.

TL;DR: Companion, even class specific storylines (except for maybe the off quest like they did in Shad of Revan) are gone. RP is now in our heads, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
When debating the matter in my head your arguments were pretty much the same as mine when giving counter arguments as to why not do this The companions are becoming like interchangable furniture. I do like the option to shift them from tank, to dps, to healer so that should remain but I agree as to their personality and story they should be more unique.

Retconning the entire romances would indeed be a costly project, so I definitely see the argument of "bigger fish to fry with this budget" to be true. If not the original companions, perhaps when others do return such as Ashara or another companion, Bioware might consider opening up the possibility for a same sex romance with some, not all, a few? That way they don't need to retcon as it could be a part of their "coming back" storyline?
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

Theeko
06.20.2017 , 03:23 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrdann View Post
NO to both...

i am not paying 15 bucks a month to have propaganda pushed down my throat

this is star wars...not spin the wheel
It's Bust a Deal and Face the Wheel

WayOfTheWarriorx
06.20.2017 , 03:34 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by bigeddd View Post
Yes! But I would really also like to see polygamy added!
Sith Warroirs can be polygamists.

If you romance Vette and do not start any flirtations with Jeasa [pretty much you don't do any companion interactions with her for the time being], once you Marry Vette, after that you can start doing companion interactions witj Jaesa and you can romance her and end up marrying her with no conflict with Vette. You just need to leave Jaesa alone until you marry Vette. Of course this means that the vanilla stroyline is almost over by the time you Marry Vette but you can marry them both like this. I did =] Of course, this requires that Jaesa be Darkside [which she should be anyways, shes so much cooler and yummier than lightside Jaesa].

You'll get letters from both of them referring to you as husband.

Why settle for one when you can have two? And 4 is better than 2 =p

Kyrra_T
06.20.2017 , 03:37 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Habit of taking the LGBT community as a whole when referencing to such matters and I didn't want to repeat "same gender romance" in every sentence so I tried to vary my vocabulary XD

That is very much true and I agree that each character should be unique, but as it stands currently we don't have a single original companion that seems to be homosexual or bisexual. While I wouldn't want all companions to have been revised to be potentially bisexual, picking out a few would be nice or... do something revolutionary... and like Treek or HK-51 allow us to have a new companion that can be a part of our journey from like when we leave the starter planet that could be romancable with new cutscenes in Act I, II and III of the game.

While we are on the topic, the female Sith Inquisitor has an extremely low amount of romanacable companions for example and the same goes for male. The other classes at least have 2 companions they can romance but the Inquisitor can only pick Ashara or Andronikos, which is a great pity if you ask me.
Theron and Lana can both be romanced by either gender, as can Koth.