Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do EA/Bioware Employees Play SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do EA/Bioware Employees Play SWTOR?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MingusPho
06.11.2017 , 01:33 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by EzioMessi View Post
Well Keith has his own personal, non-work-related account that where he has 4 characters at Command Rank 300 currently. For all we know he may be a raider or a PvPer or both.

Charles seems like he's a lot more interested in story and RP, but I'm not sure.

Eric, I don't particularly know how much he plays, but he does the live streams so he definitely plays casually at least.

I'm sure Keith and Charles themselves would both be happy to answer your question if it's asked a little bit less condescendingly than "they don't seem to have a strong sense of the game". They have answered questions relating to their playstyles in the past.
I wasn't trying to condescend anyone, I was merely speaking frankly. I do appreciate the efforts they are making and this is not some inflammatory post or a targeted attack meant to offend anyone for that matter. What I should have said was "player pulse" instead of "sense of the game" if that makes more sense.

MingusPho
06.11.2017 , 02:19 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightblazer View Post
The new producer does as per his letter on 4/13

A Note from the Producer

"Iíve been with BioWare/EA and SWTOR for the past six years, where Iíve held a variety of positions, and have always been a very active player with nearly 10,000 hours of gameplay, 28 plus characters and tons of achievements. I love playing the game and participating in all different types of gameplay, with PvP being one of my favorite activities. So, when you have frustrations with the game, Iím likely having the exact same concerns."
Edit - i read this so fast I thought it was a direct reply without realizing its from that same letter we've all read. Whoops.

SavantDreadtech
06.11.2017 , 02:40 PM | #13
Some yes, all?

Some have said they play in the forum posts they make here on the site . Still as only a handful do post, none of us will know if the rest or don't.

t-darko
06.11.2017 , 03:40 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by MingusPho View Post
I ask because they don't seem to have a strong sense of the player base trends, likes, and dislikes.
Don't know if you heard, but there's a new sheriff in town . . . now if he can undo the mess that is 5.0 and beyond it yet to be seen.

MingusPho
06.11.2017 , 04:05 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by t-darko View Post
Don't know if you heard, but there's a new sheriff in town . . . now if he can undo the mess that is 5.0 and beyond it yet to be seen.
Yeah, I've heard and am very excited about the news! Sometimes...you just see things or experience them in game and really have to wonder. But I think if we as players can understand what Bioware's goals/intentions are there can be a greater cohesive effort in improvement.

For instance, I imagine one goal is more subscriptions. With all the fans of SWTOR, mmos, and star wars in general that's certainly feasible. There's also probably a quota for cm sales they'd like to meet. In my curiosity I asked the question because by playing the game, they can see exactly what would sell really well on the cartel market and possibly which features could bring in more subscribers. I also wonder if they look at gtn sales and track them? Or do they track analytics for completion rates of different content? I hope they do, but if they are...when will any knowledge/revelations gleaned be implemented? And these are just rhetorical questions to show where I'm coming from with the original post.

mike_carton
06.12.2017 , 12:22 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightblazer View Post
The new producer does as per his letter on 4/13

A Note from the Producer

"Iíve been with BioWare/EA and SWTOR for the past six years, where Iíve held a variety of positions, and have always been a very active player with nearly 10,000 hours of gameplay, 28 plus characters and tons of achievements. I love playing the game and participating in all different types of gameplay, with PvP being one of my favorite activities. So, when you have frustrations with the game, Iím likely having the exact same concerns."
That was reassuring to read at that time. I'm not sure how much I believe that at this time. Anyone who's been playing any group content for the last 6 months knows that Telekinesis/Lightning and Sharpshooter/Marksman Disciplines are at the bottom of the DPS charts. This is true according to

- Theory Crafters
- parses and analysis
- experiential information from PvE and PvP

Anyone who goes along with the idea that these Disciplines are in an "OK Place" is seriously misinformed and unwilling to remedy that. To be fair, the "OK Place" quote is from Eric Musco but I'd expect a Lead Producer with 10,000 hours of play time to step in and define what exactly "OK Place" means. I'd also expect the priorities to be set such that the most glaring imbalances are fixed first. The most glaring imbalances today are

- DPS of Telekinesis/Lightning and Sharpshooter/Marksman (PvE and PvP)

- Survivability of Telekinesis/Lightning (PvP)

These don't get fixed first in the July class balance, there is no reason for me to trust anything I've read so far; after all, none of the promises so far have been delivered on and the first one to be tackled is seriously disappointing in the lack of judgment it demonstrates.
A "Forum troll" posts outrageous messages to bait people into answering, to sow discord and to derail the discussion. Don't feed the troll, add to your Ignore List.
Click this SWTOR link to create an account or log in and we both earn rewards (7-day Free Subscription, 1 Free Server Transfer, Free JumpStart or Preferred Bundles).

MingusPho
06.12.2017 , 01:06 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by tummiswtor View Post
If I would spend X hours in work on game, im not sure I would have energy and motivation to play it in free time
That's a good observation. Maybe having a focus group play the game and provide feedback would help improve some, like external consultants. I could see employees getting burned out over time when it consumes their whole life.

mike_carton
06.12.2017 , 01:08 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by MingusPho View Post
That's a good observation. Maybe having a focus group play the game and provide feedback would help improve some, like external consultants. I could see employees getting burned out over time when it consumes their whole life.
That's definitely understandable. The forums can stand in for a focus group.
A "Forum troll" posts outrageous messages to bait people into answering, to sow discord and to derail the discussion. Don't feed the troll, add to your Ignore List.
Click this SWTOR link to create an account or log in and we both earn rewards (7-day Free Subscription, 1 Free Server Transfer, Free JumpStart or Preferred Bundles).

merovejec
06.12.2017 , 02:41 AM | #19
Yes, they do, BUT not as much as they should

Nevertheless, there was this one promo-chart claiming Bioware to have a large percentage of their employees play their games even in free time, but thats Bioware in general (not just swtor team). Also Keith himself said he plays. Eric said so too, but I have my doubts there, mainly after observing his game play from time to time, doing the chapters, the Uprising test run.....
Merovejec Merovex Meroveg Merovien Meroven Merovingian
Meroxer Raynarog Ray-narock Raynarock Raynaroc Raynarok
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Beaten the game?

EricMusco
06.12.2017 , 01:28 PM | #20 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
This is a great question, and a very common one. In short, the team absolutely plays SWTOR!

Let's go into a little more detail though. Keep in mind we not only play on the live servers, it is very common that we play internally as well. Coincidentally, we have a studio-wide playtest of the Umbara Flashpoint later today. These playtests serve as early tests of upcoming content so we can give feedback as players, and give our perspective from our job roles.

Now, playing on live is something different. One thing I think is often forgotten is we are all just regular players. We come from all walks of life and have vastly different play styles. Contrary to popular belief, we are not all progression Nightmare Operation top 96 PvPers (although a few of us just might be...).

Here are two examples from players that you know, Keith and I. Keith currently has 4 characters at Command Rank 300, and another 12+ characters at max level or close. He plays almost every type of content in the game and really enjoys running Operations and other group content.

I on the other hand have 2 characters at max level and none of them at Command Rank 300. I play quite a bit but spend most of my time just playing the GTN as I am an avid collector of Mounts, titles, and rare items. When I am not on the GTN I am usually grinding up reps, running Heroics, or leveling alts. My days of progression Ops are behind me.

As you can see, Keith and I both play SWTOR, but play in vastly different ways Ė just like all of you. I think that raises a great final point: weíre building a game for all player types. We not only monitor player feedback (including our own experiences), but we monitor trends and data as well. All of this combined is what shapes what we do every day. Our goal has and will always be to make the best Star Wars experience we can for all of our players Ė including ourselves .

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]