Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ - Road Map 2017

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ - Road Map 2017
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

frennky
06.10.2017 , 05:21 AM | #621
Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
I'm not Keith, but I'll hop in on this one!

You're definitely right - our goal was absolutely to encourage Open World PvP on Iokath. One of our main motivations for including stuff like playable vehicles and Op bosses and Player loot was to make PvP on Iokath a unique and interesting experience compared to Outlaw's Den or Ilum. And, yeah, it just doesn't seem to have grabbed folks' interest.

I don't think that forcing Players to participate in PvP is the answer - SWTOR just isn't that kind of game - so we need to look elsewhere for solutions. Presumably better incentives would be a great way to start, but I'd love to hear your thoughts (and everyone else's) on the subject. In the coming weeks one of the discussion topics we will make is on this very topic!
If you want to make OWPvP on Iokath a thing, then you need proper incentive for players. No PvP player needs those silly little shards. Make players drop Unassembled Components. Or make some dailys for PvP instance only, that reward those components.

cagthehack
06.10.2017 , 05:27 PM | #622
Also class balance. Right now, if players were in Iokath it would be filled with mercs and mandos. No one wants to pvp and get rolled by the FOTM class. Over and over.

And yes, better rewards. Shards are worthless. You'd better off dropping more creds frankly.

CuddlyKitty
06.11.2017 , 04:44 AM | #623
I'm really hoping you'll use this opportunity to make it possible for your toons to fully defect, cause you got to choose which side to fight for on iokath . It only make's sense to just stay on the other side cause if your a Jedi who help the Empire on Iokath you should get to fully defect. Because its not like the Republics will for give you for what you did, or for get that you slaughtered there armies and vise versa.

Yezzan
06.11.2017 , 05:33 AM | #624
Quote: Originally Posted by EzioMessi View Post
That's simply you taking your prior bad experiences and makingassive assumptions out of them.
It's not a prior bad experience, it is the prevailing paradigm in any MMO that has a PvP element that is free-for-all.

Don't like getting attacked? Don't enter the very explicitly marked PvP instances... you can be entirely immune to any and all PvP in this game, don't use the "I always get ganked so you should give them no content!!!!!" logic. It was absurd even with vanilla, but now when PvP immunity is a thing, it's downright asinine to claim that ganking is your reason to not provide OWPvPers their content. You don't see PvPers enter NiM Ops, get killed by trash mobs, and then whine for nerfs to NiM content, so why exactly should PvP be gimped because a PvEr got ganked in an explicitly marked PvP instance?
LOL. Like seriously? Way to miss the point. But, as you said, people are staying out of PvP instances. So, you win. But, wait! Aren't y'all complaining that PvP instances are dead? Wonder why...hmmmmmm.

And win-trading on Ilum isn't anywhere near as common as people like to pretend it is. Any time you go there during the Gree Event, you're likely to see a 4v4 going on at the central pylon, alongside several scattered 1v1s and 2v2s everywhere else in the Western Ice Shelf. The reason guilds appear to be "win-trading" is actually quite simple. Go there with a guild or who's not in your group. They don't allow you to attack guildies. Bioware intended for this to be a mechanic that allowed guilds to use numbers without removing the "Small Group FFA" designation from the region. So even IF guilds wanted to not help their guildies win, they'd have to make a group that isn't in the guild to be able to hurt their guildies. If a guild controls mid, well, go wrest it from them if it bothers you that much? They wrested it from someone before, may as well continue the cycle.
Not sure what you going on about. I'm not trying to wrestle pylon from anybody. There is no reason to be at the pylon except to kill people who are trying to complete the PvP daily.

Stop pretending you have some insight into the PvP community and what they find hard and what they find easy, literally all you've said in this post is "I got murdered by 3 assassins in the most easily avoidable content in this game." Almost any PVPer worth their salt would form a group to take those Sims down instead, which is the exact reason Bioware has given you the option to not PvP if you don't want to.
Wowzy! I'm not a PvPer, and relaying experiences and comments (made by others) is not "pretending to have insight." Last, I checked, I wasn't the one coming here to say do something about OWPVP; and you are stupidly contradicting what the other PvPers are saying. They do not want PvP designated areas to be "avoidable." Moreover, the fact that they are "avoidable" is why they are deserted. And in case you didn't get the memo, players have utilized the option to NOT PvP, which is why we are hear..... get it?

OneHit
06.11.2017 , 06:48 AM | #625
I'd like to see Planets be recycled for future expansions. The original planets are the best planets cause they are true open worlds. Since the game has been streamlined the majority of the planet is rarely visited. Side missions are no longer encouraged. Lets keep that, and take some of the area's that are rarely visited and re use them.

Ylliarus
06.11.2017 , 08:48 AM | #626
Quote: Originally Posted by OneHit View Post
I'd like to see Planets be recycled for future expansions. The original planets are the best planets cause they are true open worlds. Since the game has been streamlined the majority of the planet is rarely visited. Side missions are no longer encouraged. Lets keep that, and take some of the area's that are rarely visited and re use them.
I very much agree with this. In my opinion if Bioware was to make new Daily Areas this should be on Dromund Kaas, Coruscant, Tython and Korriban. Those are the first four planets we see and visit ingame and sadly they become less featured after we finish our quests on them. Yes, we return a few times for the Sith and Jedi class stories but they do become a lot less relevant. In my opinion that is a great pity as they are the iconic planets from this game. Giving the Daily Areas will make them relevant again for level 70 players as well as the Endgame Community.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

Icykill_
06.11.2017 , 09:08 AM | #627
Quote: Originally Posted by cagthehack View Post
Also class balance. Right now, if players were in Iokath it would be filled with mercs and mandos. No one wants to pvp and get rolled by the FOTM class. Over and over.

And yes, better rewards. Shards are worthless. You'd better off dropping more creds frankly.
I disagre. The OWPVP in this game has always favoured stealth classes. I think if it was active you would find stealths ruling the area because
A. They now have complete black out and they can stand on top of you till you have low health or you've blown your CDs and then they can attack.
B. They just have the tactical advantage to wait you out and wear you down.

What works in Arena and classic WZs doesn't always translate to OWPVP. I would be more scared of 2-3 Operatives working together than 4 Mercs in OWPVP
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

EzioMessi
06.11.2017 , 11:56 AM | #628
Quote: Originally Posted by Yezzan View Post
It's not a prior bad experience, it is the prevailing paradigm in any MMO that has a PvP element that is free-for-all.

LOL. Like seriously? Way to miss the point. But, as you said, people are staying out of PvP instances. So, you win. But, wait! Aren't y'all complaining that PvP instances are dead? Wonder why...hmmmmmm.

Not sure what you going on about. I'm not trying to wrestle pylon from anybody. There is no reason to be at the pylon except to kill people who are trying to complete the PvP daily.

Wowzy! I'm not a PvPer, and relaying experiences and comments (made by others) is not "pretending to have insight." Last, I checked, I wasn't the one coming here to say do something about OWPVP; and you are stupidly contradicting what the other PvPers are saying. They do not want PvP designated areas to be "avoidable." Moreover, the fact that they are "avoidable" is why they are deserted. And in case you didn't get the memo, players have utilized the option to NOT PvP, which is why we are hear..... get it?
Let me explain really slowly once again, because you seem to have completely missed the purpose of players' demands.

The presence of PvP/E instances has entirely killed ganking. That's a very good thing. Ganking is stupid and just drives new players away from PvP. Less ganking leads to more players who can CHOOSE to PvP when they want to.

However it had the uninentional side effect of killing all spontaneous OWPvP, not just ganking. Because historically, ganking has usually led to anti-gank squads forming that cause massive OWPvP fights where both sides CHOSE to PvP. The death of spontaneous OWPvP is a BAD thing because its content that got REMOVED from a game about Star WARS.

Everyone who's suggesting "forcing" PvP isn't demanding that you just flag everyone into a PvP instance. We're demanding rewards in those PvP instances, along similar lines to the Gree Event, so that more people actively CHOOSE OWPvP.

To draw a comparison to avoid your preexisting biases against PvP, the majority of the game doesn't do HM or NiM raids. The majority of the game doesn't engage in the higher difficulty KotET/FE content. But a significant minority demanded these bits of content, and they were released and players were allowed to CHOOSE these bits of content with the incentive of some fancy gear and mounts and titles and decorations.

This is exactly what OWPvPers are demanding. Give us a quest chain or dailies chain that progresses in PvP instances only. Give us a planet that is PvP only with unique PvP-only rewards (considering PvE instances with unique PvE rewards exist EVERYWHERE else, this should not be a problem to anyone reasonable).

And players like yourselves, and others on this forum who are vocal about their dislike of PvP, can simply choose to NOT engage in this newly incentivized PvP. We'd be fine with that. Literally everyone except the lowlife "lemme stand in their aoe to flag them" trolls has always been fine with PvErs turning PvP off for themselves, we literally just want additional PvP rewards that aren't Cartel reskins. And that is NOT an unfair demand because there are plenty of non-Cartel PvE rewards, so it's not like we don't have a precedent for "forcing" players to play for rewards.

All we're saying is, give the OWPvP community the same respect the PvE community gets. They place unique rewards in NiM Ops and I choose not to queue for them. If I entered the NiM instance or an NiM quest I'd be "forced" to fight PvE mobs to progress so I don't enter them. Likewise, let them place rewards in special PvP areas and quests, anyone who enters those areas or quests MUST PvP to complete those specific quests, and you can choose not to enter them.
The Harbinger - The Raider Legacy
Attair - Level 70 Sentinel
If you like my comment, please click my referral link for free goodies for both you and
me: http://www.swtor.com/r/3XbB9h

Endrinhael
06.11.2017 , 12:26 PM | #629
I don't know if the Dev's are still monitoring this discussion, but there is a question I HAVE to ask.

To make myself clear, I dislike and completely avoid PVP in games. Why? Lets just say I have had bad experiences with the PvP playerbase in every game that included it, so I will NOT participate in it ever again.

Now to my question, will you ever allow me to enjoy Galactic Star fighter (other than the limited tutorial) without having to PvP? I know there are many in t he PvE community like myself that completely avoid GSF because of the PvP. WIll you eventually open it up so ALL of your playerbase can enjoy it, or with you continue to keep it closed off to a small niche community?

If any of the Devs can answer this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Yezzan
06.11.2017 , 12:45 PM | #630
Let me explain really slowly once again, because you seem to have completely missed the purpose of players' demands......SNIP!
I haven't missed anything. You are asking BW to entice PvE-ers (with "rewards") to do OWPvP so you can ganked them. Errmm, sorry have fun....

Have you seen any raiders asking BW to dumb-down NiM so more people can do it? Nope. They just hop in and do NiM runs with their guilds, until they get bored, and whine for more ops.

So, what's different about OWPvP? Why aren't all PvP-ers flocking to OWPvP instances to beat each other up? Why does Bw needs to increase the incentive of doing so? Why is OWPvP dead? Hmm? because PvP is a niche community; and unless you can bait casuals in to doing this type of content, these instances will be ghost towns.

Bottom line is these rewards that you (PvPers) are requesting is not for yourselves, but to lure PvE players to their deaths. Plain and simple. Or are you saying you ( PvPers) need incentives to PvP?