Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

americanaussie
06.07.2017 , 06:48 AM | #261
Quote: Originally Posted by fushnchips View Post
I'm in NZ and my eastcoast is around 220 and harb 150-180
Melbourne here, and mine is higher. Harb is 185-220. East Coast servers are about 320 with spikes up to 600 on a good night it may be as low as 240. My lag comes from the transpacific cable. You probably do not have as far to go as I do and may use a different cable.
Thank you to everyone who has used my referral link over the years and to all of the wonderful people I've met on here.

Alythiel
06.07.2017 , 07:33 AM | #262
Honestly, I am against mega-servers as they've proven to ruin all RP communities they've ever touched (GW2, ESO, Wildstar)

If you want megaservers, at least leave Ebon Hawk and The Progenitor alone. The issue with Megaservers is that you usually can't see everyone as it's limited to how many players can be on screen at once. And the RP events in this game are freaking gigantic with 50-120 people usually participating on Ebon Hawk.

There's also the case about trolls and non-rpers which'll ruin what we have on Ebon Hawk.
What you could do is to merge the non-rp servers though. I think that would definitely be the best way.
"Once more, the Sith will rule the galaxy…and we shall have order."- Darth Sidious

Collector's Edition VIP

Alythiel
06.07.2017 , 07:35 AM | #263
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
And RP accommodations does not mean a separate instance like pvp. That will not work as people will get on that instance and harass and grief rp.

Would just prefer that a rp server like Ebon Hawk stay just the way it is and not be merged with a server, say like, Harbinger.

And if you merged servers this time be sure the assets are done better than they were or better yet transfer guilds in tact with all their assets without having to jump through hoops to get the guild restarted and all the assets back.
Yes, I agree with this. Let Ebon Hawk and The Progenitor stay the way they are so avoid trolls and non-rpers and then merge the other realms into one big one.
"Once more, the Sith will rule the galaxy…and we shall have order."- Darth Sidious

Collector's Edition VIP

EricMusco
06.07.2017 , 07:45 AM | #264 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Just wanna pop in and say, keep the feedback coming! The team has been actively discussing the thread and we appreciate everyone's viewpoints. For the most part the thread has been constructive and devoid of personal attacks, keep that coming!

Thanks everyone.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

TUXs
06.07.2017 , 08:03 AM | #265
Quote: Originally Posted by MeNaCe-NZ View Post
"A guy" - how many reports do you think will flood on once people cotton on to the fact something actually happens about them?
Yes, "a guy". Since there were only 118 people on Harbinger Pub Fleet last night, I don't think the task could possibly be THAT overwhelming once a few well known trolls are silenced. Even if it takes a day or two to review the logs, it's better than never like it is now.
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
They could also task some of the cs agents with this duty, as the reports ebb and flow.
Absolutely they should be used for this - it falls under their tasks imo as well (harassment).
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhedzaban View Post
I believe Guild Wars 2 did this on launch. Huge numbers of people received temporary or permanent bans after chat logs were reviewed due to inappropriate behaviour. I remember they posted on Reddit some of the chat by those claiming they were wrongly banned, absolutely hilarious.
I LOVE THIS!!! More companies need to name and shame their trolls. I can only hope EA comes to the same conclusion.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Tisaren
06.07.2017 , 08:09 AM | #266
Quote: Originally Posted by Alythiel View Post
Honestly, I am against mega-servers as they've proven to ruin all RP communities they've ever touched (GW2, ESO, Wildstar)

If you want megaservers, at least leave Ebon Hawk and The Progenitor alone. The issue with Megaservers is that you usually can't see everyone as it's limited to how many players can be on screen at once. And the RP events in this game are freaking gigantic with 50-120 people usually participating on Ebon Hawk.

There's also the case about trolls and non-rpers which'll ruin what we have on Ebon Hawk.
What you could do is to merge the non-rp servers though. I think that would definitely be the best way.
I totally agree.

casirabit
06.07.2017 , 08:23 AM | #267
Quote: Originally Posted by AscendingSky View Post
Yes, not only should they have to repay (both in credits and in real world money) everything players forced to merge will lose in said merger, but they should be the ones to have to give up their character names and guild names if it turns out there's a conflict as a result of the merges! How about it, pro-merge players? Are you willing to accept those terms?

Obviously I'm being facetious here, and don't actually expect that to happen. But really now... why should the people who don't want to move have to sacrifice over 5 years of time and effort spent, while the people trying to advocate for everyone being forcibly merged to their own server so they can get slightly faster queue pops wouldn't have to give up anything? It isn't fair, and it isn't acceptable. Until EAWare can 100% absolutely positively guarantee the intact transfer of all character and guild assets, server merges should be off the table.

Honestly, as I've said in the past, I'd much rather they try to see if they can make cross-server queuing work again. Allegedly they tried it in the past and they had problems with players not being returned to their proper servers afterwards, so I understand why they didn't implement it back then. However, I'm hoping with the move to a new datacenter, maybe the expertise and architecture will be in place for them to try this again. It would solve the vast majority of the "Merge all servers!" advocates' complaints in one fell swoop.
Oh I know I wasn't serious either but wanted to get the point across to those that are not even listening to the problems a merger will create. Some only want more ques for pvp and Pugs when that is probably not going to happen. There are some of us that never do that so that is not going to help them. You can't force a person to que for pvp or Pugs. I do pvp very very rarely and Pugs nope. I group up with my boyfriend and friends to do flashpoints, uprising, etc.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

AscendingSky
06.07.2017 , 08:31 AM | #268
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
Oh I know I wasn't serious either but wanted to get the point across to those that are not even listening to the problems a merger will create. Some only want more ques for pvp and Pugs when that is probably not going to happen. There are some of us that never do that so that is not going to help them. You can't force a person to que for pvp or Pugs. I do pvp very very rarely and Pugs nope. I group up with my boyfriend and friends to do flashpoints, uprising, etc.
I'm one of the minority of the RPers I know that actively runs FPs/ops on a regular basis. Most RPers I know don't even touch the Group Finder for anything, PvE or PvP. They spend at least 95% of their time in this game roleplaying. Forcing them to move to another non-RP server therefore wouldn't improve queue times. It wouldn't improve server population either, as most of them would get tired of constantly being harassed and griefed by toxic non-RPers and quit the game.
#SWTORMaintenanceMode2018
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

Darkside
06.07.2017 , 08:36 AM | #269
4 mega servers:

US East
US West
Central Europe
Australia

All servers have 3 instances, pve, PvP, and rp.
O=============================O

DARK HOLOCRON

O=============================O

FREE Server Transfer + FREE 7 Day Subscription + FREE Stuff = CLICK HERE!

LTS_Angel
06.07.2017 , 08:37 AM | #270
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
4 mega servers:

US East
US West
Central Europe
Australia

All servers have 3 instances, pve, PvP, and rp.
what he said +1