Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
06.05.2017 , 09:06 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

We recently removed a thread related to the topic of server merges. This thread was removed because of numerous rule violations contained within it. Since we know this conversation is important to you, I am remaking this as the centralized thread for that discussion. Although we don't have anything to discuss right now on this topic, we want to continue to get your feedback and thoughts on it. Please keep it coming!

A few rule reminders:
  • Discussion of moderation is not permitted.
  • Please remain respectful of other forum users. Disagreement and discussion is fine, personal attacks are not.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Darkside
06.05.2017 , 09:13 AM | #2
Make 2 mega servers. One East coast, and one West coast. Funnel all existing north American servers into those two. Use the additional then free servers to help support the main two. Boom problem solved.
O=============================O

DARK HOLOCRON

FREE Server Transfer + FREE 7 Day Subscription + FREE Stuff = CLICK HERE!

TUXs
06.05.2017 , 09:17 AM | #3
Thank you Eric!

I am all for mergers because I believe keeping dead servers active does more harm than good. Players who return to, or roll on, those dead servers, are faced with the illusion that SWTOR is a dead game...which it is not.

There are a few primary concerns:
Guild assets
RP servers
Names

Guild assets should be handled in advance of any merger by Bioware, on a case by case basic. Guild ships and guild strongholds would need to be unlocked on a new server and special help in reforming guilds should happen. Any merger needs to be as smooth as possible and guilds are one of the most important assets of this game.

RP server either need to continue to exist, or they need to have special accommodations in a merged scenario.

Name purge prior to any transfers and moving high population servers to the lower pop ones is what I would expect. That doesn't negate naming issues, but it does help.

One additional thing I would like, with or without a merger, is an expansion of the /ignore list. The current limit is too low and I believe it needs to be higher.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

HuaRya
06.05.2017 , 09:22 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
Make 2 mega servers. One East coast, and one West coast. Funnel all existing north American servers into those two. Use the additional then free servers to help support the main two. Boom problem solved.
Would especially be ideal for those newer or returning players who are expecting a Harbinger level of activity but have found themselves on servers like Jung Ma.

Weren't the servers in North America moved to the same physical location?

DarthWoad
06.05.2017 , 09:29 AM | #5
Merge servers.

Enough said.
Founder of The Old Republic
Returning to the game? Get 7 days FREE subscription by clicking here

casirabit
06.05.2017 , 09:29 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Thank you Eric!

I am all for mergers because I believe keeping dead servers active does more harm than good. Players who return to, or roll on, those dead servers, are faced with the illusion that SWTOR is a dead game...which it is not.

There are a few primary concerns:
Guild assets
RP servers
Names

Guild assets should be handled in advance of any merger by Bioware, on a case by case basic. Guild ships and guild strongholds would need to be unlocked on a new server and special help in reforming guilds should happen. Any merger needs to be as smooth as possible and guilds are one of the most important assets of this game.

RP server either need to continue to exist, or they need to have special accommodations in a merged scenario.

Name purge prior to any transfers and moving high population servers to the lower pop ones is what I would expect. That doesn't negate naming issues, but it does help.

One additional thing I would like, with or without a merger, is an expansion of the /ignore list. The current limit is too low and I believe it needs to be higher.
And RP accommodations does not mean a separate instance like pvp. That will not work as people will get on that instance and harass and grief rp.

Would just prefer that a rp server like Ebon Hawk stay just the way it is and not be merged with a server, say like, Harbinger.

And if you merged servers this time be sure the assets are done better than they were or better yet transfer guilds in tact with all their assets without having to jump through hoops to get the guild restarted and all the assets back.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

ScottishDrunk
06.05.2017 , 09:37 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
that'll really help me in Scotland, thanks

TUXs
06.05.2017 , 09:40 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
And RP accommodations does not mean a separate instance like pvp. That will not work as people will get on that instance and harass and grief rp.
Correct Casi. If they did make it instanced, I would hope they would ask the RP community for their input on how to minimize the chance of griefing. You guys know best...they should ask RPers.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Ratajack
06.05.2017 , 09:41 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

We recently removed a thread related to the topic of server merges. This thread was removed because of numerous rule violations contained within it. Since we know this conversation is important to you, I am remaking this as the centralized thread for that discussion. Although we don't have anything to discuss right now on this topic, we want to continue to get your feedback and thoughts on it. Please keep it coming!

A few rule reminders:
  • Discussion of moderation is not permitted.
  • Please remain respectful of other forum users. Disagreement and discussion is fine, personal attacks are not.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
Please ensure that no one will be negatively impacted by server merges by ensuring that any and all issues surrounding server merges have been resolved prior to considering server merges.

As it stands now, every player has the option to play on a server with a population that matches their population/community desires. There is no reason to negatively impact multitudes of players because some players refuse to avail themselves of any of the options they already have to play on a server with a population more to their liking.

Darkside
06.05.2017 , 09:43 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ScottishDrunk View Post
that'll really help me in Scotland, thanks
I'm not talking about the Euro servers, just the ones here. And to the other player, yes they consolidated servers to two locations in the US.

DARK HOLOCRON

FREE Server Transfer + FREE 7 Day Subscription + FREE Stuff = CLICK HERE!