Update on Roadmap

KeithKanneg

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you rather play a dead game?

I can do this too lol.

First off, the game is not dead. There are multiple servers with adequate populations that aren't called Harbinger.

Second off, any population issues are the fault of EAWare's bad business decisions, not the players themselves. So why do you want to punish the majority of the playerbase to make your gaming time a little more convenient for you, instead of putting pressure on EAWare to find a way to lure new players in and old players back?

Third off, forcing everyone to merge into Harbinger just so you can get slightly faster queue pops would kill the game, not save it. There's a reason we lost about 80% of the APAC players when they took their dedicated servers away... people who have put money into this game don't like having everything they've created and built taken away from them, and then being forced to play on another server with much more latency and lag than their old one, to satisfy whiners on said other server. So they decide there's no point in continuing to put money into the game, and they cancel their subscription.

Now that there's even MORE to lose in a forced merger, you'd have even MORE unhappy people who would become unwilling to continue playing and paying for this game. It happened before, and it would happen again.

Edited by AscendingSky

First off, the game is not dead. There are multiple servers with adequate populations that aren't called Harbinger.

Second off, any population issues are the fault of EAWare's bad business decisions, not the players themselves. So why do you want to punish the majority of the playerbase to make your gaming time a little more convenient for you, instead of putting pressure on EAWare to find a way to lure new players in and old players back?

Third off, forcing everyone to merge into Harbinger just so you can get slightly faster queue pops would kill the game, not save it. There's a reason we lost about 80% of the APAC players when they took their dedicated servers away... people who have put money into this game don't like having everything they've created and built taken away from them, and then being forced to play on another server with much more latency and lag than their old one, to satisfy whiners on said other server. So they decide there's no point in continuing to put money into the game, and they cancel their subscription.

Now that there's even MORE to lose in a forced merger, you'd have even MORE unhappy people who would become unwilling to continue playing and paying for this game. It happened before, and it would happen again.

this. 100% agree.

AscendingSky nailed it.

I am on The Red Eclispe. Already been through two mergers thanks, don't want another one.

I've spent somewhere in the region of 150,000,000 Credits on my Stronghold (Main) and around another 50,000,000 on the others.

If a server merger meant I would lose that, the unlocks, the decorations and the credits that would be me done - for good, no coming back. As I am subbed and spent around $50 on CC last month I wonder how many players like me Bioware can afford to lose, just because some vocal whiners on Harbinger think they are entitled to have everything their way.

Given the appalling performance issues reported almost daily from Harb I think that IF server mergers go ahead Harb should be top of the list for being closed down.

All The Best

I second the first bit, the game is all but dead and people who state such are wrong luckily.

However I wasn't aware of the fact that a server merge would result in the loss of things such as Strongholds and Legacy perks? I used to be a strong supporter of server merges on the European servers but if such a merge would indeed result in the loss of so much then a merge might not be the best solution to player activity indeed.

This is a tough situation for sure. I would however say this game may not be dead (Which is to imply it's shutting down any day) but it is certainly dying... I think the relative point is more about how fast people are leaving at any given time...currently I suspect people are leaving quickly and in greater numbers than prior to 5.0.

Realistically Server mergers will come down to a pinch decision by comparing the loss of subs due to no queue pops for PVP and Group finder vs. the loss of subs from the mergers and any items potentially lost as a result.

I understand why people feel the need to discuss it but ultimately it will come down to which prospect salvages the most cash...

Let me start by saying that I largely agree with everything you've said...

The only places I take issue are - no merger has EVER been from low pop to high pop in the past. Previously (both times) it has been high pop to the low pop server. The idea that anyone would be merging with Harbinger is silly. People asking for a merge need to realize that the population on Harbinger is likely to be the one that would be moving...not the other folk. I'm an advocate of mergers and I know I would likely be one of the guys moving...I accept that. I just think it's worth pointing out so that everyone else is aware of the fact that Harbinger is the server most likely to close in any type of consolidation.

The other item is guild assets. Bioware can easily phase this in over time, allowing most of the "move" to be done behind the scenes. Of course there will be issues, but Bioware should have enough time to address most issues ahead of a merge. There's no deadline for this, but it is something that needs to happen imo. We simply don't have the population to spread out over 8+ servers...a merge is in the best interest of the game long term.

I don't get it. Why would people loose their SH's? I am no tech genius but isn't that the beauty of having all this stuff Instanced ? Not like it is occupying the same virtual space as another. Have they given a 'tech' reason why people would not be able to transfer that stuff?

The only thing I can see getting messed up is clashing names.

Bludwolf DarkSaber-BloodRage may be in trouble. :p

Let me start by saying that I largely agree with everything you've said...

The only places I take issue are - no merger has EVER been from low pop to high pop in the past. Previously (both times) it has been high pop to the low pop server. The idea that anyone would be merging with Harbinger is silly. People asking for a merge need to realize that the population on Harbinger is likely to be the one that would be moving...not the other folk. I'm an advocate of mergers and I know I would likely be one of the guys moving...I accept that. I just think it's worth pointing out so that everyone else is aware of the fact that Harbinger is the server most likely to close in any type of consolidation.

The other item is guild assets. Bioware can easily phase this in over time, allowing most of the "move" to be done behind the scenes. Of course there will be issues, but Bioware should have enough time to address most issues ahead of a merge. There's no deadline for this, but it is something that needs to happen imo. We simply don't have the population to spread out over 8+ servers...a merge is in the best interest of the game long term.

I have read several CON's regarding Server Mergers:

1) Loss of assets guild and Stronghold related.

2) Not wanting to be on a High Population server.

3) Everything is fine, the game is not dying and when people come back for new content the servers are perfect.

Numbers 2 and 3 being similar in nature with 3 adding some denial that the game is struggling.

It is my opinion that if what you have suggested could be managed... and the loss of assets could be avoided with proper application that two medium to high population servers would be ideal. One East one West coast and then manage EU servers in a similar fashion per region vs population.

My guess is that at some point the servers will reach such a low population level that the tides will turn heavily...

Although the population waning is not subtle to some, others whether it be through wishful thinking, denial or just not caring seem not to notice the coming issues that will arise.

Being proactive is a smart move in this case... If Bioware is also choosing to ignore or deny the game is losing players it will eventually be the next source of Mega-uprising.

Like it or not I am comfortable that the majority of players want reasonable queue times for all aspects and would prefer to see other people running around occasionally in game.

This discussion should no longer be about if server mergers should happen rather what the community expectations are for when they happen.

TUX has pointed out that the major issues with asset loss could potentially be handled in advance of mergers... Maybe people should stop trying to halt the inevitable and start helping to contribute their input to the very likely coming server mergers...

Or just be unyielding and then throw your suckers in the dirt when it happens..your choice :)

Edited by Soljin

I have read several CON's regarding Server Mergers:

1) Loss of assets guild and Stronghold related.

2) Not wanting to be on a High Population server.

3) Everything is fine, the game is not dying and when people come back for new content the servers are perfect.

Numbers 2 and 3 being similar in nature with 3 adding some denial that the game is struggling.

It is my opinion that if what you have suggested could be managed... and the loss of assets could be avoided with proper application that two medium to high population servers would be ideal. One East one West coast and then manage EU servers in a similar fashion per region vs population.

My guess is that at some point the servers will reach such a low population level that the tides will turn heavily...

Although the population waning is not subtle to some, others whether it be through wishful thinking, denial or just not caring seem not to notice the coming issues that will arise.

Being proactive is a smart move in this case... If Bioware is also choosing to ignore or deny the game is losing players it will eventually be the next source of Mega-uprising.

Like it or not I am comfortable that the majority of players want reasonable queue times for all aspects and would prefer to see other people running around occasionally in game.

This discussion should no longer be about if server mergers should happen rather what the community expectations are for when they happen.

TUX has pointed out that the major issues with asset loss could potentially be handled in advance of mergers... Maybe people should stop trying to halt the inevitable and start helping to contribute their input to the very likely coming server mergers...

Or just be unyielding and then throw your suckers in the dirt when it happens..your choice :)

Thank you for reading my post for what I actually said and not like I claimed that every server except Harbinger is dead and that every server should be merged into Harbinger and actually understood what I was saying.

And anyone who thinks any server outside of Harbinger, Red Eclipse or Ebon Hawk is "surviving and thriving" needs to get their head checked. Server merges need to happen; this is an MMO, not a singleplayer game.

Edited by Talon_strikes

Only if there can be a 100% guarantee that affected players will lose nothing, or at the least very little, I wouldn't mind if there was a server merge, assuming there wouldn't be too much lag.

I will say, that my one main fear is about RP-servers. I fear that there could potentially be PVE guys berating (or at the very least telling them off) RP guys for spamming their chat box.

idk, perhaps the world has turned my cynical in my 26 years.

Edited by TyonYlle

Only if there can be a 100% guarantee that affected players will lose nothing, or at the least very little, I wouldn't mind if there was a server merge.

I will say, that my one main fear is about RP-servers. I fear that could potentially be PVE guys berating (or at the very least telling them off) RP guys for spamming their chat box.

The RP aspect has been touched on before. RP'ers get to keep their servers so they can avoid getting griefed by the general PvP and PvE population.

Only if there can be a 100% guarantee that affected players will lose nothing, or at the least very little, I wouldn't mind if there was a server merge, assuming there wouldn't be too much lag.

I will say, that my one main fear is about RP-servers. I fear that there could potentially be PVE guys berating (or at the very least telling them off) RP guys for spamming their chat box.

Obviously the goal for Bioware needs to "nothing"...or "nothing big" - little things like cosmetic slots would likely reset like they do now, but that's a non-issue imo. I love my looks, but they're cosmetic and not something that should hold the game back.

And I agree. Let RP servers stand. Bioware should increase their presence in Fleet chats and begin taking control of in-game chat again tbh.

If EAWare could revamp their systems enough to absolutely no exceptions guarantee people can keep the majority of their character and guild assets, then I would be willing to change my position on server mergers at least for the very lowest of low population servers. I know the old PvP servers in particular are rather inactive compared to others. The problem is, EAWare couldn't even handle transferring guild bank contents and tabs the last two times they've forced mergers. I have absolutely zero faith in them that they'd be able to handle transferring over all strongholds, flagships, expansions, unlocked decorations, etc. without it turning into a horrible Charlie Foxtrot for all concerned.

As a RPer on Ebon Hawk, I also have similar concerns to yours. Even when the server was outright labeled an RP server on the server list, we've had plenty of instances of players rolling toons on EH to come troll or harass the RPers from launch until this day (since they find it funny for some reason). I hate to think how my server's RP community would be treated if we were merged with Harbinger or another traditionally non-RP server.

Edited by AscendingSky

If EAWare could revamp their systems enough to absolutely no exceptions guarantee people can keep the majority of their character and guild assets, then I would be willing to change my position on server mergers at least for the very lowest of low population servers. I know the old PvP servers in particular are rather inactive compared to others. The problem is, EAWare couldn't even handle transferring guild bank contents and tabs the last two times they've forced mergers. I have absolutely zero faith in them that they'd be able to handle transferring over all strongholds, flagships, expansions, unlocked decorations, etc. without it turning into a horrible Charlie Foxtrot for all concerned.

As a RPer on Ebon Hawk, I also have similar concerns to yours. Even when the server was outright labeled an RP server on the server list, we've had plenty of instances of players rolling toons on EH to come troll or harass the RPers from launch until this day (since they find it funny for some reason). I hate to think how my server's RP community would be treated if we were merged with Harbinger or another traditionally non-RP server.

All they need to do is what WOW does. Somehow, all group content is cross server. If you que up for an "ops", PVP, questing, whatever it is, the que's are cross server. I don't know enough about it to know how they do it, but know it means that there are que pops 24/7. No matter what time of day you play, there is always group to get into. You know players in your group are from a different server because their name has a (*) next to it.

Edited by Otaktey
spelling

All they need to do is what WOW does. Somehow, all group content is cross server. If you que up for an "ops", PVP, questing, whatever it is, the que's are cross server. I don't know enough about it to know how they do it, but know it means that there are que pops 24/7. No matter what time of day you play, there is always group to get into. You know players in your group are from a different server because their name has a (*) next to it.

On Wow I can even join guilds on other servers - I agree it would be ideal. But BW's repeatedly said it would take too much work for them to implement any sort of x-server.

On Wow I can even join guilds on other servers - I agree it would be ideal. But BW's repeatedly said it would take too much work for them to implement any sort of x-server.

This is the common recipe which made this game mediocre. Bioware made this game and it's classes very similar to WOW but never from day one invested the time or resources into the game to match WoW.

WoW does everything better than SWToR (and the games design wise initially were extremely similar) except that WoW adds regular large scale content releases and refines and improves systems in the game that are "Working" as expected.

Sure Blizzard trashed a few system that were dated or failed to live up to the hype but they still moved forward.

SWToR rather than recover, regroup and move forward immediately began trimming back and playing the safety position. That unwillingness to commit to this game is why they have failed to meet their expectations in the past and will in the future if they continue down that road...

If you guys want success you are going to have to work for it...

If you want to have a mediocre game that is slowly bleeding out...by all means continue choking the resources for the game.

Edited by Soljin

... That unwillingness to commit to this game is why they have failed to meet their expectations ....

I would argue that the original intent with this game vs. many expectation were 2 very different things, the very thing actually that became this game's curse, and since then this game have time and time again given evidence to how a "please all" and "forget the original intent" just left us with a successful micro transaction mechanic copied by many other MMO's. This game have in the name of compromise been reduced to a Star Wars money milking machine.

But, all of this could change and we could get a miraculous return to the "Authentic Star Wars Feeling" we were promised . . .

Edited by t-darko

I would argue that the original intent with this game vs. many expectation were 2 very different things, the very thing actually that became this game's curse, and since then this game have time and time again given evidence to how a "please all" and "forget the original intent" just left us with a successful micro transaction mechanic copied by many other MMO's. This game have in the name of compromise been reduced to a Star Wars money milking machine.

But, all of this could change and we could get a miraculous return to the "Authentic Star Wars Feeling" we were promised . . .

This was originally a WoW clone with the Star Wars IP and a huge budget...It fell on its face.

Regardless of which side your on...expectations were not likely met.

• Dev Post

Hey all,

There were skeptics among you regarding my ability to deliver the Roadmap in May - I'm sitting here in disbelief having to acknowledge you just might be right!

I realize we have all-day tomorrow, too, but I didn't want to wait until the very last day to provide an update. The Roadmap is nearly there! I'm still making a number of adjustments based on internal reviews and working diligently to get them included and signed off.

My goal now is to get it out this week, so until it's ready to go I'll commit to providing you with a daily update through Friday. To be honest, I definitely underestimated the amount of time this was going to take.

Humbly, Keith