Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Maintenance: May 25th, 2017

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
05.25.2017 , 09:48 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Just speculation on my part....

...but I think with the data center moves and new server hardware that Keith indicated... this may enable them to do some things they have wanted to do (and players have long wanted) that prior server configurations inhibited.

Time will tell... and maybe we get some insight from the coming roadmap.
I've been thinking the same thing.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

LordAppius's Avatar


LordAppius
05.25.2017 , 10:08 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey all,

Iíve noticed a lot of concern about maintenances and the impact it has on your game time. We probably should have just given you a schedule of activity for the month of May and explained what was going on. Going forward, toward the beginning of each month, Eric will provide a schedule of that monthís maintenance.

So, whatís been going on this past month? Essentially, we have been migrating from one Datacenter to another and upgrading the Game Server hardware and supporting software. You won't directly notice improvements in performance, but these changes dramatically help us maintain the game and improve its overall reliability. As you can imagine, itís an enormous undertaking to move absolutely everything Ė all servers and related hardware, supporting hardware, network infrastructure, upgrading the operating systems, management systems and tools, and more.

For the most part, weíve been able to do it without a ton of downtime, but thereís been a couple times this month where the migration didnít go as planned. As a result, we had to extend the maintenance window. Not fun for you nor for us!

Typically, we have a maintenance every two weeks and usually on a Tuesday. Thereís a lot of coordination required between teams, as itís not just turning servers off/on, but making sure all services spin up properly, databases are in good shape, all server hardware is checked, supporting software is updated, and more. No excuses, just means to keep the game healthy we need to validate everything and much of the work requires players to be offline.

Whatís happening on Thursday should be the last of the migration components, but some of these impact our game services. So, this requires us to ensure no in-game activity is happening, and shutdown the Live Game. Our sincerest apologies to everyone as we did not realize it was a holiday (our bad for not looking at the calendar). We still need to have the maintenance, but Iíve asked the team to start an hour earlier and if at all possible shorten the window. We will get SWTOR back online as fast as possible.

The next scheduled downtime is June 13th and that maintenance is for Game Update 5.2.2. Itís possible we may need to restart everything on June 6th to flesh out any potential issues, but weíll let you know.

Thanks for understanding and again, weíll continue to improve our communications with you.

---Keith

You say one time to many the word "we should" and "if".

Something as simple as a roadmap has taken almost 2 months to develop, unless it is going to shine and give free lightsabers to ppl i don't understand why the long deliver... This just shows poor management of your work time as well as lack of manpower.

Rockula's Avatar


Rockula
05.25.2017 , 10:19 AM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Again, apologize for the inconvenience, but things ran smoothly this morning and we only needed about 75 minutes. Enjoy the 40th anniversary of Star Warsô and any holidays you may be celebrating.

---Keith
I hope you bought breakfast for the team!
#MaintenanceTacos
Brian - cohost of The Bad Feeling Podcast
<Has A Bad Feeling> and <Loves Twi'Leks and Spice> guilds on Star Forge

DenariusJay's Avatar


DenariusJay
05.25.2017 , 11:10 AM | #94
Damn people. The game doesn't revolve around you. Just because you got inconvenienced one day out of your life doesn't justify some of the passive aggression Keith is getting.

We finally getting more dev communication and people are trying to run it off. Show some appreciation for once.

And remember, buff merc!
server: The Hot Prospect (10/4/2017 #NEVERFORGET)
Characters: Billie Eilish/Jessica Alba/Olivia Munn / Rashida Jones / Alicia Keys / Colin Kaepernick

Darkside's Avatar


Darkside
05.25.2017 , 11:16 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Wow...THANK YOU Keith! Great communication...I'm in shock...
Has anyone heard if we are getting a special reward like the other star wars games?
O=============================O

DARK HOLOCRON

O=============================O

FREE Server Transfer + FREE 7 Day Subscription + FREE Stuff = CLICK HERE!

KeithKanneg's Avatar


KeithKanneg
05.25.2017 , 11:25 AM | #96 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Rockula View Post
I hope you bought breakfast for the team!
#MaintenanceTacos
It was too early, so I brought them health food instead - Donuts!
Keith Kanneg | Project Director
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
05.25.2017 , 12:17 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by LordAppius View Post
You say one time to many the word "we should" and "if".

Something as simple as a roadmap has taken almost 2 months to develop, unless it is going to shine and give free lightsabers to ppl i don't understand why the long deliver... This just shows poor management of your work time as well as lack of manpower.
It's not as easy as it sounds... Keith needs to run the roadmap through multiple layers at both Bioware and EA. There are a lot of people that have to say "yay" or "nay" to it. I am convinced the Roadmap is already written out and ready to be posted by the bulk of the issue lies with the people who have to agree to the roadmap. Don't blame Keith or Bioware for that, don't tell them that they're incompetent or lack manpower as that is not where the problem lies. The permission needs to come from EA and it's not easy to get all the shareholders or people at the top onboard your project but requires debate and compromises to be made.
The One, True Lord Ryssius
Playing SWTOR since November 2012
Darth Malgus [EU]

phalczen's Avatar


phalczen
05.25.2017 , 12:22 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
It's not as easy as it sounds... Keith needs to run the roadmap through multiple layers at both Bioware and EA. There are a lot of people that have to say "yay" or "nay" to it. I am convinced the Roadmap is already written out and ready to be posted by the bulk of the issue lies with the people who have to agree to the roadmap. Don't blame Keith or Bioware for that, don't tell them that they're incompetent or lack manpower as that is not where the problem lies. The permission needs to come from EA and it's not easy to get all the shareholders or people at the top onboard your project but requires debate and compromises to be made.
I am sure there are multiple levels of approval at corporate levels, probably including parent EA and the Lucasfilm Story Group, but I highly doubt the board of directors, let alone individual shareholders, are involved in the actual approval of a roadmap for every game EA has in their portfolio. Shareholders of pharmaceutical companies have no say in what drugs get greenlit for further development or not.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

MandFlurry's Avatar


MandFlurry
05.25.2017 , 01:11 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey all,

Iíve noticed a lot of concern about maintenances and the impact it has on your game time. We probably should have just given you a schedule of activity for the month of May and explained what was going on. Going forward, toward the beginning of each month, Eric will provide a schedule of that monthís maintenance.

So, whatís been going on this past month? Essentially, we have been migrating from one Datacenter to another and upgrading the Game Server hardware and supporting software. You won't directly notice improvements in performance, but these changes dramatically help us maintain the game and improve its overall reliability. As you can imagine, itís an enormous undertaking to move absolutely everything Ė all servers and related hardware, supporting hardware, network infrastructure, upgrading the operating systems, management systems and tools, and more.

For the most part, weíve been able to do it without a ton of downtime, but thereís been a couple times this month where the migration didnít go as planned. As a result, we had to extend the maintenance window. Not fun for you nor for us!

Typically, we have a maintenance every two weeks and usually on a Tuesday. Thereís a lot of coordination required between teams, as itís not just turning servers off/on, but making sure all services spin up properly, databases are in good shape, all server hardware is checked, supporting software is updated, and more. No excuses, just means to keep the game healthy we need to validate everything and much of the work requires players to be offline.

Whatís happening on Thursday should be the last of the migration components, but some of these impact our game services. So, this requires us to ensure no in-game activity is happening, and shutdown the Live Game. Our sincerest apologies to everyone as we did not realize it was a holiday (our bad for not looking at the calendar). We still need to have the maintenance, but Iíve asked the team to start an hour earlier and if at all possible shorten the window. We will get SWTOR back online as fast as possible.

The next scheduled downtime is June 13th and that maintenance is for Game Update 5.2.2. Itís possible we may need to restart everything on June 6th to flesh out any potential issues, but weíll let you know.

Thanks for understanding and again, weíll continue to improve our communications with you.

---Keith
Still having that stupid issue where I/ Others cannot use Launcher. Therefore for me I will have to Un-sub because that Datacenters did Not migrate the data right, but messed things up. I have never ever had these problems before, and i have been here before Beta. I's rediculous.
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator
Referral for Star Wars Goodness
http://www.swtor.com/r/hzQMWp

EricMusco's Avatar


EricMusco
05.25.2017 , 01:47 PM | #100 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
It was too early, so I brought them health food instead - Donuts!
Woah, woah! I SIT RIGHT NEXT TO YOU, WHERE WERE THE DONUTS?!?!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]