Maintenance: May 25th, 2017

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

We will be taking the servers offline on Thursday, May 25th in order to perform back end updates. As there are no client-side changes, there won’t be a version number or download associated with this maintenance. SWTOR.com will also be down during this time.

Details:

DATE: 25 May 2017

TIME: 4:00AM - 7:00AM PDT (1100 - 1400 GMT)

VERSION: N/A

Thank you for your patience as we maintain Star Wars™: The Old Republic™!

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on, its bad enough you do maintenance every friggin tuesday ... now thursday as well??? Its a friggin holiday for some countries ... maybe do it at a time bad for the US folks for once!

Really frustrating this. At least do some bug fixing at least instead of backend maintenance.

Edited by SebastiaanZ

Hey everyone!

We will be taking the servers offline on Thursday, May 25th in order to perform back end updates. As there are no client-side changes, there won’t be a version number or download associated with this maintenance. SWTOR.com will also be down during this time.

Details:

TIME: 5:00AM - 8:00AM PDT (1200 - 1500 GMT)

Thank you for your patience as we maintain Star Wars™: The Old Republic™!

Shouldn't the time read

Details:

Except Harbinger

TIME 5:00AM - ? PDT

Shouldn't the time read

Details:

Except Harbinger

You sir, are a real life Swtor Nostradamus!!! Prediction on length of extra time Harbinger will be down for?? taking bets!!!

My prediction is 4 hours extra...minimum

Shouldn't the time read

Details:

Except Harbinger

I am thinking that will apply to all the realms, it will be a half hour left in the eta that they gave, when they will post saying that "Maintenance will be extended and we have no ETA at this time, thank you for your patience". Then will be for like 8 hours or something close.

Everyone is hung up on the word maintenance I'm concerned more about what you said in the end, "maintain". Is that all we care about, is maintaining the game? Do we not want to make a difference? Do we not want to make change? And most importantly, do we not want to IMPROVE?!

Dear Eric,

I have posted a new thread under General Discussion. Please take a minute to read and understand it and to take it to heart.

Respectfully,

A concerned fan

Edited by Dwizzle

You sir, are a real life Swtor Nostradamus!!! Prediction on length of extra time Harbinger will be down for?? taking bets!!!

My prediction is 4 hours extra...minimum

Are you wanting numbers, or you just doing an over/under bet?

I'll take the over at 5 hours

I'm not one to complain normally, but really, Eric? The ONE time you do maintenance not on a tuesday it is on a holiday for most of europe and a few countries all around the world as well? You gotta be kiddin.

At least you could tell us whats wrong that requires so much maintaining?

Oh come on, its bad enough you do maintenance every friggin tuesday ... now thursday as well??? Its a friggin holiday for some countries ... maybe do it at a time bad for the US folks for once!

Really frustrating this. At least do some bug fixing at least instead of backend maintenance.

Calm yourself. There was no maintenance this past Tuesday.

Nice. In the middle on a free national holiday in The Netherlands...

Lot of patch-less maintenance lately... Would be nice if we notice something positive of all this downtime. Or at least give more information what and why you are doing.

No, Swtor has too many programming /bug they need to fix with the Start-up, with numerous more. along with Windows problems.

I demand...

ROFL Wow. Get over yourself why don't you?

Have they ever given any one free CC's for down time? Especially for planned maintenance? NO.

This game is a leisure. Go do something in reality instead of a game on a freaking holiday. Gosh.

Always the US first isn't it?

Um, it's an American game based in Texas. WHY would they NOT make the US first? rofl *smh* Come one Sebastiaan. You've been around long enough to know this. Don't like a US based game making the US player base first, then find a EU based game.

• Dev Post

Hey all,

I’ve noticed a lot of concern about maintenances and the impact it has on your game time. We probably should have just given you a schedule of activity for the month of May and explained what was going on. Going forward, toward the beginning of each month, Eric will provide a schedule of that month’s maintenance.

So, what’s been going on this past month? Essentially, we have been migrating from one Datacenter to another and upgrading the Game Server hardware and supporting software. You won't directly notice improvements in performance, but these changes dramatically help us maintain the game and improve its overall reliability. As you can imagine, it’s an enormous undertaking to move absolutely everything – all servers and related hardware, supporting hardware, network infrastructure, upgrading the operating systems, management systems and tools, and more.

For the most part, we’ve been able to do it without a ton of downtime, but there’s been a couple times this month where the migration didn’t go as planned. As a result, we had to extend the maintenance window. Not fun for you nor for us!

Typically, we have a maintenance every two weeks and usually on a Tuesday. There’s a lot of coordination required between teams, as it’s not just turning servers off/on, but making sure all services spin up properly, databases are in good shape, all server hardware is checked, supporting software is updated, and more. No excuses, just means to keep the game healthy we need to validate everything and much of the work requires players to be offline.

What’s happening on Thursday should be the last of the migration components, but some of these impact our game services. So, this requires us to ensure no in-game activity is happening, and shutdown the Live Game. Our sincerest apologies to everyone as we did not realize it was a holiday (our bad for not looking at the calendar). We still need to have the maintenance, but I’ve asked the team to start an hour earlier and if at all possible shorten the window. We will get SWTOR back online as fast as possible.

The next scheduled downtime is June 13th and that maintenance is for Game Update 5.2.2. It’s possible we may need to restart everything on June 6th to flesh out any potential issues, but we’ll let you know.

Thanks for understanding and again, we’ll continue to improve our communications with you.

---Keith

Thanks for the update Keith. So, these are genetically engineered hamsters capable of spinning the wheel faster and can go without food and water for a week, right?

Seriously though the detail is appreciated. In the back of my mind I was hoping all this back end maintenance was necessary for cross server stuff or whatever but it's good to know they will all be more reliable. Hope you got the HOS version 2.0 (hamster OS).