Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why aren't Weapons a Part of Outfit Designer?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why aren't Weapons a Part of Outfit Designer?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JediQuaker's Avatar


JediQuaker
05.11.2017 , 09:27 AM | #51
Personally I'm only in favour of this if the weapon "outfit" slot is restricted to the proper weapon type for the class. Otherwise, you'd have things like Troopers carrying lightsabers, but firing rockets, etc.

BTW, in addition to something that has been mentioned earlier - you can switch weapons very quickly. Simply put the weapons in your inventory and then drag the weapons to a skillbar. You can then simply click on the weapon's icon on the skillbar to equip it. (Have all the weapons - that is the original and the new one(s) - on the skillbar so you can just click between them.)
Then there's no need to open your inventory to change weapons. (And less need for BW to take time away from bug fixing to make outfit slots.)
________________________________________________
A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.
http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
05.11.2017 , 09:32 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Personally I'm only in favour of this if the weapon "outfit" slot is restricted to the proper weapon type for the class. Otherwise, you'd have things like Troopers carrying lightsabers, but firing rockets, etc.
Well, that is the only way it could really work with the character specific animations, so I am not too concerned about this.

Much more likely they find technical hurdles that prevent them from doing it, for one reason or another. Why? Because this is a very large and complex code base, originally written by hundreds of staff members who have been gone for years now. Depending on how well things are coded and commented, it could be straightforward, or it could be a freaking nightmare of a Gordian Knot.
"The internet has enabled so much and empowered so many. But it can also be a place where the basic rules of decency are suspended and pettiness and negativity thrive, - Tim Cook, Apple CEO

Anzel's Avatar


Anzel
05.11.2017 , 10:00 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
We've been discussing this one a lot recently, and we're working on how we could fit it into the schedule for this year. Once that gets firmed up we'll let y'all know
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN!!!! Now say that about companions as well. Say it. SAY IT!!!!!!

Anzel's Avatar


Anzel
05.11.2017 , 10:01 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Well, that is the only way it could really work with the character specific animations, so I am not too concerned about this.

Much more likely they find technical hurdles that prevent them from doing it, for one reason or another. Why? Because this is a very large and complex code base, originally written by hundreds of staff members who have been gone for years now. Depending on how well things are coded and commented, it could be straightforward, or it could be a freaking nightmare of a Gordian Knot.
Everyone make a note of this time and date. I agree with Andryah.

Bonzenaattori's Avatar


Bonzenaattori
05.11.2017 , 10:02 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
We've been discussing this one a lot recently, and we're working on how we could fit it into the schedule for this year. Once that gets firmed up we'll let y'all know
Why are you saying that like you have a busy schedule?

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
05.11.2017 , 10:06 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
Everyone make a note of this time and date. I agree with Andryah.
LOL.. duly noted Anzel.
"The internet has enabled so much and empowered so many. But it can also be a place where the basic rules of decency are suspended and pettiness and negativity thrive, - Tim Cook, Apple CEO

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
05.11.2017 , 10:24 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
Everyone make a note of this time and date. I agree with Andryah.
....where's the punchline?

You can't just leave it at that...finish the joke!!! This IS a joke right???

Anzel....
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
05.11.2017 , 10:25 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I think most players would love this appearance feature added to the game. So great to hear.

That said.... note closely what Charles said and how he said it. It's VERY open ended. It may end up like other things promised in the past... where they say they are working on something and then come back later and tell us they could not get it to work and have tabled it.

Also note >>>> this is the first post in the forum from Charles in almost two years, even though he is Creative Director for SWTOR, and has had a key role in SWTOR for years. Positive context: If Keith achieves nothing as Producer other then more transparency and interaction with players by key people responsible for the progress of SWTOR.... that is good news. Negative context: But of course it's not enough.. words have to be followed up by actions that match the words.

I have to give this "promise" a vote of -------> embrace it if/when we actually see it, and temper expectations until then.
I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, though, what will likely happen is that within a few weeks, we will start to see threads demanding an ETA for the "promised" weapon designer.

Elemutation's Avatar


Elemutation
05.11.2017 , 12:54 PM | #59
I just want to thank all you guys for making this thread as big as it is so that this idea could get attention. I had no idea it would escalate this beautifully!! I just threw this out there as a simple suggestion, but it's really something else to have it be recognized like this. Keep 'em coming!!

CharlesBoyd's Avatar


CharlesBoyd
05.11.2017 , 01:00 PM | #60 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
It's so great to see everyone's awesome ideas and enthusiasm in this thread - keep 'em coming!

Quote: Originally Posted by MishraArtificer View Post
So, just out of curiosity: what's been keeping it back? Technical problems?
Honestly, it comes down to priorities - we've been very focused on features that supported story chapters and gameplay, so this didn't make it to the top of the list. But this year, we've shifted some of our focus to broader features that improve the overall gameplay experience and add better customization and convenience options. So with that in mind, it makes sense to see if we can add weapons to Outfit Designer this year.

Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Also note >>>> this is the first post in the forum from Charles in almost two years, even though he is Creative Director for SWTOR, and has had a key role in SWTOR for years. Positive context: If Keith achieves nothing as Producer other then more transparency and interaction with players by key people responsible for the progress of SWTOR.... that is good news.
This is an entirely fair critique; I have always read the forums daily, but it's silly to have gone so long without actually posting. I promise be more talkative in the future. Keith definitely sets a good example in this regard
Charles Boyd | Creative Director
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]