The New Galaxy Map

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Coming with Game Update 5.2 is a new quality of life feature, a revamped Galaxy Map. Aside from just being improved aesthetically, it also provides new functionality. We really wanted to improve players’ ability to travel around the galaxy, let’s talk about what is new with the Galaxy Map:

• You must have a personal ship to use the Galaxy Map. Make sure you’ve completed the early part of your Class Mission!
  • You can access the Galaxy Map from anywhere by simply pressing the icon on your mini-map, navigate to it through the top UI, or use the shortcut key (Shift+M by default).
  • Takes advantage of Legacy Perks:
    • If you’ve acquired the Quick Travel perk, you can travel directly to your personal ship from the Galaxy Map.
    • If you have a Priority Transport/Planetary perks, you will have a zero credit cost to travel to that location from the Galaxy Map.
    • The Priority Transport perks function the same, but they no longer have a cooldown. Allowing you to travel quickly to different locations.

[*]You can now use Quick Travel while located inside ship hangers.

As you can see these changes should allow you to travel easily around the Galaxy and can save you the walk to your ship. Let us know if you have any questions about the functionality of the updated Galaxy Map. Tune in to our stream today where we will be showing it off.

-eric

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About time they removed any non-essential orbital stations as well.

- Not to mention all the areas where you're locked out of quick-travel too, as well as all those wide open outside areas where your speeder doesn't work.... WTH?

- Just so the original devs could stretch a few more minutes out of everyone's subs.

Quick travel to anywhere you've unlocked seems sensible nowadays. Who really gets enjoyment of going the long, scenic way to anywhere after the n-th time?

Edited by Storm-Cutter

additional, wondering whether QT ( or choose form list) to get to space missions might be added in? - Rather than having to mouse over them all to find the one you want, since it's all being re-vamped. - Which is something _everybody_ wanted over and above new content, class balance, bug fixes...... etc. Edited by Storm-Cutter

You can now use Quick Travel while located inside ship hangers.

Already got Priority Transport: Personal Ship on all my characters, so this is the only part I care about. But it's a big part! Thanks for this :D

Edited by masterceil

Hey folks,

Coming with Game Update 5.2 is a new quality of life feature, a revamped Galaxy Map. Aside from just being improved aesthetically, it also provides new functionality. We really wanted to improve players’ ability to travel around the galaxy, let’s talk about what is new with the Galaxy Map:

• You must have a personal ship to use the Galaxy Map. Make sure you’ve completed the early part of your Class Mission!
  • You can access the Galaxy Map from anywhere by simply pressing the icon on your mini-map, navigate to it through the top UI, or use the shortcut key (Shift+M by default).
  • Takes advantage of Legacy Perks:
    • If you’ve acquired the Quick Travel perk, you can travel directly to your personal ship from the Galaxy Map.
    • If you have a Priority Transport/Planetary perks, you will have a zero credit cost to travel to that location from the Galaxy Map.
    • The Priority Transport perks function the same, but they no longer have a cooldown. Allowing you to travel quickly to different locations.

[*]You can now use Quick Travel while located inside ship hangers.

As you can see these changes should allow you to travel easily around the Galaxy and can save you the walk to your ship. Let us know if you have any questions about the functionality of the updated Galaxy Map. Tune in to our stream today where we will be showing it off.

-eric

Sounds good. It's about time we get some quality of life improvements. hopefully an option to turn on chat bubbles for /say, /yell and /emote player chat won't be far behind since that's been requested way more than galaxy map improvements.

About time they removed any non-essential orbital stations as well.

- Not to mention all the areas where you're locked out of quick-travel too, as well as all those wide open outside areas where your speeder doesn't work.... WTH?

- Just so the original devs could stretch a few more minutes out of everyone's subs.

Quick travel to anywhere you've unlocked seems sensible nowadays. Who really gets enjoyment of going the long, scenic way to anywhere after the n-th time?

Look, if we went your route, half the game(if not more!) would be cut out. Of particular notice is planet Hoth. I mean, 80%(or even more!) of what you are doing there is walking. But it's not really an interesting walk with an interesting story like in walking simulators like Dear Esther, Firewatch etc. It's just mind bogglingly boring. I became aware that one could very well use Hoth as a cover up for HOT things and to basically toss some. You know, one handed playing and all.

This is an MMO after all and the primary reason they exist is to waste ungodly amounts of time. It doesn't mean I like it(I hate it in fact).

This is one of the best QoL updates ever. I can't wait for it to be live!!!

The best QoL will be when they apply that set of difficulties from Zakuul to 1-50. It'll be like renaissance of SWTOR.

OK, trying to make sense of this. A response would be nice, Eric.

You must have a personal ship to use the Galaxy Map. Make sure you’ve completed the early part of your Class Mission!

This is nothing new. You always needed your ship for access to the galaxy map. Afterall, you need something that actually moves you around.

You can access the Galaxy Map from anywhere by simply pressing the icon on your mini-map, navigate to it through the top UI, or use the shortcut key (Shift+M by default).

So it's a new (visual) interface like Galactic Command?

Takes advantage of Legacy Perks:

If you’ve acquired the Quick Travel perk, you can travel directly to your personal ship from the Galaxy Map.

I am not exactly sure what perk you are speaking of here. There are travel perks in the game, but since you specifically refer to Priority Transports below, those don't seem to be it. There is the Legacy of Travel, but that's a Legacy-wide ability and not a perk, and those only reduce the Quick Travel cooldown on planets. So what exactly are you talking about here?

If you have a Priority Transport/Planetary perks, you will have a zero credit cost to travel to that location from the Galaxy Map.

The Priority Transport perks function the same, but they no longer have a cooldown. Allowing you to travel quickly to different locations.

This confuses me to no end. Priority Transport perks don't have cooldowns. I checked. The one for the personal starship originally had one, but there is a Legacy-wide Unlock for it that can reduce it to zero. So I'd like to know what exactly it is you are advertising here. Using my unlocked Priority Transports, I can jump from Odessen to Oricon to Yavin 4 to the Outlaw's Den to CZ-198 to The Black Hole to the Fleet Vanguard Ship to the Capital World to Rishi all day long without suffering any cooldowns.

I am not exactly sure what perk you are speaking of here. There are travel perks in the game, but since you specifically refer to Priority Transports below, those don't seem to be it. There is the Legacy of Travel, but that's a Legacy-wide ability and not a perk, and those only reduce the Quick Travel cooldown on planets. So what exactly are you talking about here?

Priority Transport: Personal Starship is, I think, the name. (So there's a way to use it without having to put it on your action bars. Nice.)

OK, trying to make sense of this. A response would be nice, Eric.

This is nothing new. You always needed your ship for access to the galaxy map. Afterall, you need something that actually moves you around.

So it's a new (visual) interface like Galactic Command?

No, it's more than that...it's a new way to quick travel from anywhere.

No, it's more than that...it's a new way to quick travel from anywhere.

So what's the point of even having a starship?

Besides, there's still a lot of quests in the game that require you to travel to locations from and to your starship that don't advance the mission step if you do it by other means.

Edited by BenKatarn

So what's the point of even having a starship?

Well, for one thing...

Besides, there's still a lot of quests in the game that require you to travel to locations from and to your starship that don't advance the mission step if you do it by other means.

Hey look, someone already answered you!

Also, I prefer to do my dummy parsing in private, on my ship. I'm sure other people enjoy their GTN kiosks there as well.

Thank you, Quality of Life improvements will always win you goodwill. One question though. What hasn't been mentioned explicitly is a scenario like the following:

I'm on Tatooine, in the Dune Sea. I bring up the galaxy map, pick Alderaan and end up somewhere on Alderaan without any other intermediate steps.

Is the above a possibility now?