Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP On Iokath

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

americanaussie
03.28.2017 , 03:45 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
lol new class balance:

Everyone gets a walker to shoot each others with
Yaaas
Want some cool freebies and 7 days sub - just click here

Thaladan
03.28.2017 , 03:52 PM | #22
it's interesting BUT you must balance the classes before .. it's terrible right now especially arsenal merc and sorc heal.

legend of hyperspace

heythereqt
03.28.2017 , 04:03 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

With the launch of 5.2 “The War for Iokath” we wanted to be sure to encourage PvP wherever possible. It is a part of the design of the Missions on Iokath that players will be running into each other fairly often. This afforded us the opportunity to make PvP more of a focus beyond just a place for open world PvP to occur. Here are some of the things that set Iokath apart as it relates to PvP:
  • In open world PvP, enemies and allies will be determined by the Faction you choose to fight for, not the faction your Class is a part of.
    • Ex: If you are Trooper who chose to fight for the Republic, you will be flagged as an enemy against a Jedi Knight who is fighting for the Empire.
    • Choosing which Faction to side with has no effect on your character outside of Iokath.
  • You will be able to loot Iokath specific currency from other players that you kill. You will not actually be stealing that currency from them, but it will “drop” from them similar to how it works for NPCs.
  • On Iokath you can spend that currency to do special things such as piloting a walker. You will be able to pilot the walker in the same area as other players and use said walker for murderous intent against enemy players.

As you can see there are some specific additions that we are making in 5.2 to really encourage open world PvP play. Let us know if you have any questions about these changes.

-eric
Hey Eric,

The War for Iokath looks like it's shaping up to be a great patch. I do have some quick questions:

-Will PvP on Iokath tie into Galactic Command or unassembled components at all? It would be nice to be able to PvP on Iokath and still make gear progress when regular warzones get stale. Additionally, it would add to the liveliness & longevity of PvP on Iokath, as opposed to pvp zones like Ilum and Yavin in the past.

-As others have mentioned, is anything being done about class balance? Currently, mercenaries and snipers can wipe the floor with any other class in the game without any trouble whatsoever. I imagine this imbalance would be exponentially worse in an open-world situation, and griefing would become a big problem.
Use my referral link HERE and receive these benefits for free! Thanks!

unibim
03.28.2017 , 04:06 PM | #24
Cool but what about the Lag (and fps for that matter)? This is the primary problem of current high scale OWPvP...

If you actually fixed it, then what about Valor? Is it like on Ilum back in the days?
Malgus Self-Destruct button
Press in case of emergency need of referral link.

WTB [A Way To Change Forum Display Name]

bdatt
03.28.2017 , 04:21 PM | #25
Bioware can you make currency rewards scale based on the population ratio at the time? E.g. 10:1 imp to rep and reps get 10x the reward?

Regardless this sounds fun and I'll give it a go

mdmamolly
03.28.2017 , 04:24 PM | #26
Seriously, this sounds great, seems everyone finds something to complain about, yet it sounds fun, new and interesting to me

JLazarillo
03.28.2017 , 04:30 PM | #27
[*]On Iokath you can spend that currency to do special things such as piloting a walker. You will be able to pilot the walker in the same area as other players and use said walker for murderous intent against enemy players.
If walker-piloting is as much of a chore as it is in the storyline, I'm not sure that's something that feels like a reward. But at least this makes it sound like we won't be forced into any more of those segments.

EricMusco
03.28.2017 , 04:31 PM | #28 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Eric, does picking a faction to fight for impact your dark or light choice in any way? Let's say I'm a lightside Vanguard, I'm fighting for the lightside in the DvL as well...can I still choose to fight with the Imperial faction just on Iokath?
It has no impact at all. Your dark/lightside choices are not tied to your Faction.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Eli_Porter
03.28.2017 , 05:13 PM | #29
There are PvE impacts to Faction selection (I will go into that in a separate post). Yes you can get that currency from all over the planet in addition to players.

-eric
Holy crap.

Cross-faction queues confirmed.

Kazz_Devlin
03.28.2017 , 05:38 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Ottoattack View Post
Hello,

Many questions/comments:

The objective is to kill enemy players? Which basically means no objectives? We tried this with Ilum and Outlaws Den. Neither does it work nor what the player base wants.

How will the game engine handle. It is not the bleak old days of 1.0 era, but the game engine will struggle to handle 3-4 dozen players in a small area.

For the faction side, so lets say I play a rep toon and join imp side. Another guildy/friend rep joins rep. Now we cannot group together. The issue here is self explanatory. What will happen is I will have to completely disregard the story and comp and just join whatever side my guild decides to join, or I cannot group with them.

As for the rewards. I will be honest with you, if they are not Unassembled Components or CXP (if not both), I will try once. Play maybe a couple of times. Then never do it again. Cosmetics are not enough. And surely whatever Lokath PvP is, it will not be sophisticated enough to be its own game (like using a walker or so only in Lokath).

This has bad old Ilum days written all over it. Clearly much more detail is required. The one thing for certain is that mindlessly killing enemy players without an objective with no gear rewards, will not work.
Are you surprised? Hell they scrapped a perfectly fine gearing system which noone had complaints about to bring about this monstrosity that is the current system. It seems that NEW CONTENT will simply be rehashing failed things that didn't work and calling it new. Painfully evident by the fact he never responded to first post which is right now the primary concern for all pvpers what about class balance!