PvP On Iokath

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

With the launch of 5.2 “The War for Iokath” we wanted to be sure to encourage PvP wherever possible. It is a part of the design of the Missions on Iokath that players will be running into each other fairly often. This afforded us the opportunity to make PvP more of a focus beyond just a place for open world PvP to occur. Here are some of the things that set Iokath apart as it relates to PvP:

• In open world PvP, enemies and allies will be determined by the Faction you choose to fight for, not the faction your Class is a part of.
    • Ex: If you are Trooper who chose to fight for the Republic, you will be flagged as an enemy against a Jedi Knight who is fighting for the Empire.
    • Choosing which Faction to side with has no effect on your character outside of Iokath.

[*]You will be able to loot Iokath specific currency from other players that you kill. You will not actually be stealing that currency from them, but it will “drop” from them similar to how it works for NPCs.

[*]On Iokath you can spend that currency to do special things such as piloting a walker. You will be able to pilot the walker in the same area as other players and use said walker for murderous intent against enemy players.

As you can see there are some specific additions that we are making in 5.2 to really encourage open world PvP play. Let us know if you have any questions about these changes.

-eric

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

With the launch of 5.2 “The War for Iokath” we wanted to be sure to encourage PvP wherever possible. It is a part of the design of the Missions on Iokath that players will be running into each other fairly often. This afforded us the opportunity to make PvP more of a focus beyond just a place for open world PvP to occur. Here are some of the things that set Iokath apart as it relates to PvP:

• In open world PvP, enemies and allies will be determined by the Faction you choose to fight for, not the faction your Class is a part of.
    • Ex: If you are Trooper who chose to fight for the Republic, you will be flagged as an enemy against a Jedi Knight who is fighting for the Empire.
    • Choosing which Faction to side with has no effect on your character outside of Iokath.

[*]You will be able to loot Iokath specific currency from other players that you kill. You will not actually be stealing that currency from them, but it will “drop” from them similar to how it works for NPCs.

[*]On Iokath you can spend that currency to do special things such as piloting a walker. You will be able to pilot the walker in the same area as other players and use said walker for murderous intent against enemy players.

As you can see there are some specific additions that we are making in 5.2 to really encourage open world PvP play. Let us know if you have any questions about these changes.

-eric

What about class balance eric, are there fixes or not? Answer this please :rak_03: And dont answer with i dont know, answer with a simple yes or no. :rak_03:

Edit: some more of your favorite smileys to encourage you to talk about class balance :rak_03::rak_03::rak_03::rak_03::rak_03::rak_03::rak_03::rak_03:

Edited by Qwurdilu

Hey folks,

-eric

I assume this only is in effect in PvP instances? Not in PvE instances? And that this currency is not just lootable from players?

• Dev Post
I assume this only is in effect in PvP instances? Not in PvE instances? And that this currency is not just lootable from players?

There are PvE impacts to Faction selection (I will go into that in a separate post). Yes you can get that currency from all over the planet in addition to players.

-eric

There are PvE impacts to Faction selection (I will go into that in a separate post). Yes you can get that currency from all over the planet in addition to players.

-eric

So far so good, but what about class balance? open world pvp is even more range friendly than warzones or arenas. Are you sure you dont want to adress mercs and snipers? :(

Interesting... are there any rewards or incentives for taking out an enemy walker? How many enemy players do you think it takes to take down a player walker? How many walkers can be active at once?

I find the idea of becoming a pvp-"worldboss" kinda funny and interesting, need to see some of this live though.

-eric

Eric, I think you might have missed the first reply to your post. Might want to answer the class balance question ;)

Hey folks,

-eric

Hello,

Many questions/comments:

The objective is to kill enemy players? Which basically means no objectives? We tried this with Ilum and Outlaws Den. Neither does it work nor what the player base wants.

How will the game engine handle. It is not the bleak old days of 1.0 era, but the game engine will struggle to handle 3-4 dozen players in a small area.

For the faction side, so lets say I play a rep toon and join imp side. Another guildy/friend rep joins rep. Now we cannot group together. The issue here is self explanatory. What will happen is I will have to completely disregard the story and comp and just join whatever side my guild decides to join, or I cannot group with them.

As for the rewards. I will be honest with you, if they are not Unassembled Components or CXP (if not both), I will try once. Play maybe a couple of times. Then never do it again. Cosmetics are not enough. And surely whatever Lokath PvP is, it will not be sophisticated enough to be its own game (like using a walker or so only in Lokath).

This has bad old Ilum days written all over it. Clearly much more detail is required. The one thing for certain is that mindlessly killing enemy players without an objective with no gear rewards, will not work.

Edited by Ottoattack

Eric, I think you might have missed the first reply to your post. Might want to answer the class balance question ;)

Just know that if you send something to me it isn't falling into a void

Eric doesnt miss things, so he must be busy writing an answer right now :rak_03:

Edited by Qwurdilu

-eric

And those that don't do pvp, if they are in pve instance will they still be attack? If so, you will be having those people not come to this planet.

-eric

This sounds very cool.

And those that don't do pvp, if they are in pve instance will they still be attack? If so, you will be having those people not come to this planet.

I feel pretty strongly it'll work how it works now. If your in a PvE instance you will not be flagged. I've passed through outlaws den for example on a PvE instance and I don't get flagged. It will prob work the same so if you don't want to participate you would go to a PvE instance

Eric, does picking a faction to fight for impact your dark or light choice in any way? Let's say I'm a lightside Vanguard, I'm fighting for the lightside in the DvL as well...can I still choose to fight with the Imperial faction just on Iokath?

Hey folks,

-eric

With these changes, will we finally see the abolishment of the ridiculous chat restrictions between players of the other faction like we were promised a long time ago as well as be able to add friends with characters that play on the ohter side to our friends list?

PS.: Will we finally get the even longer-promised option to enable chat bubbles for player /say chat? It's about time...

Edited by Glzmo

Buffing merc and sniper to immortal battlemachines was just biowares way to accustom the playerbase to CommandWalker pvp. Clever move, touché.

Now that real battlewalkers will be implemented, can we finally tone down said classes? Eric? You arent going to ignore questions about class balance, are you?

Hey folks,

-eric

Hey Eric,

The War for Iokath looks like it's shaping up to be a great patch. I do have some quick questions:

-Will PvP on Iokath tie into Galactic Command or unassembled components at all? It would be nice to be able to PvP on Iokath and still make gear progress when regular warzones get stale. Additionally, it would add to the liveliness & longevity of PvP on Iokath, as opposed to pvp zones like Ilum and Yavin in the past.

-As others have mentioned, is anything being done about class balance? Currently, mercenaries and snipers can wipe the floor with any other class in the game without any trouble whatsoever. I imagine this imbalance would be exponentially worse in an open-world situation, and griefing would become a big problem.

Cool but what about the Lag (and fps for that matter)? This is the primary problem of current high scale OWPvP...

If you actually fixed it, then what about Valor? Is it like on Ilum back in the days?

Edited by unibim

Bioware can you make currency rewards scale based on the population ratio at the time? E.g. 10:1 imp to rep and reps get 10x the reward?

Regardless this sounds fun and I'll give it a go

Edited by bdatt