Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Credit Sellers and Account Security

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Credit Sellers and Account Security
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
03.23.2017 , 01:50 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Working to substantially reduce credit selling spam is a constant battle. We all know itís impossible to eliminate all of it, but making it difficult or expensive to these spammers is an on-going effort most of our players never truly realize. Itís one of the key reasons we make regular changes and occasionally let you know we did so. Sometimes, those changes simply donít work for very long and we have to try new tactics without disrupting your normal game play.

We made some behind the scenes changes in Game Update 5.1.3 (after the chat restrictions in 5.1.2 failed to slow them down) and since then we have seen a dramatic drop in the amount of accounts spamming credit sales, and the amount of messages they are sending overall. Depending on the time of day and what server you play on, you may have already noticed the drop.

What we are seeing now is actual player accounts being compromised and used to spam Credit Seller messages. In all cases, the playerís password has become known to the Credit Selling company resulting in that account being banned. The reason we are telling you this is a reminder that your account security is vitally important, and you should take care to never share your password, use the same password as your email (or other accounts), and to update it regularly. You should also consider adding a free Mobile Security Key to your account (we offer 100 cartel coins every month to each account using one!).

If you can't or don't want to, always try to be aware of strange login attempts on your account and notify Customer Service immediately if you spot them. We also know players visit these sites and purchase credits which quite honestly is a violation of our Terms of Service agreement and places your account at risk of being banned permanently.

Lastly, since we have taken the amount of accounts participating in spam down, reporting them is more important than ever. With less accounts to deal with, player reports are exponentially more valuable in not only squelching those accounts from spamming, but also allowing us to track them down even faster.

We want to thank all of you for every time you press that report button. Battling against credit seller spam is a war that will go on, but with your continued help we can keep it to an absolute minimum.

Thanks!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

acidburncpt
03.23.2017 , 01:58 PM | #2
Is there any way to fix it so that when we report them it will automatically add them to your ignore list? I think this little thing would go a long way in increasing the number of spammers reported.

DakhathKilrathi
03.23.2017 , 02:09 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by acidburncpt View Post
Is there any way to fix it so that when we report them it will automatically add them to your ignore list? I think this little thing would go a long way in increasing the number of spammers reported.
You mean that ignore list that's full from years of spam being a problem? It'd be nice if they weren't still clogging your list after they get banned. It'd be even nicer if we could ignore more than just 100 players or whatever the cap is.

Qronus
03.23.2017 , 02:34 PM | #4
How about the slicing bots on Yavin 4? ALL of them are are the same class and they ALL have an odd character in their names. Every server is affected. Just do a: /who Yavin 4 and look at the PvP instance. You'll see them!
It pains me to think about the BILLIONS of credits these bots are raking in while they bot the slicing nodes 24/7

LordTurin
03.23.2017 , 03:04 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by acidburncpt View Post
This please.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

jimmorrisson
03.23.2017 , 03:28 PM | #6
I have actually noticed the drop!

DakhathKilrathi
03.23.2017 , 03:35 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Qronus View Post
How about the slicing bots on Yavin 4? ALL of them are are the same class and they ALL have an odd character in their names. Every server is affected. Just do a: /who Yavin 4 and look at the PvP instance. You'll see them!
It pains me to think about the BILLIONS of credits these bots are raking in while they bot the slicing nodes 24/7
There's one on TEH that's been there for two years now. We've reported him a few times but I guess no one cares.

Qronus
03.23.2017 , 03:55 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
There's one on TEH that's been there for two years now. We've reported him a few times but I guess no one cares.
There's 2 on Bergeren Colony that have been there for nearly as long. I have reported them multiple times, even with a PM to Musco. NOTHING done...

DarthWoad
03.23.2017 , 04:27 PM | #9
I don't even log in enough to even notice the credit sellers anymore. But GJ anyway.
Founder of The Old Republic
Returning to the game? Get 7 days FREE subscription by clicking here

Rankyn
03.23.2017 , 04:44 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
reporting them is more important than ever. With less accounts to deal with, player reports are exponentially more valuable in not only squelching those accounts from spamming, but also allowing us to track them down even faster.
How about making the reporting function more user friendly so people are more likely to do it.

Things that need to happen:
- Single button report & ignore. It's a 2-step process right now.
- No sub-menus to dig through to report just because you're standing near them.
- Don't lock out our CS ticket limit due to email spam reports.
Keep up to date with game events at
SWTORCalendar.com