Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tier 1 – 3 Changes Coming in 5.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Tier 1 – 3 Changes Coming in 5.2
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

teclado
03.03.2017 , 01:43 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

After 5.2, gear drops get much better as you progress through the Tier. Let’s say you were getting close to the top of your Tier, this is what your drop rates will look like:
  • Premium: No longer drop
  • Prototype: Medium-low drop rate
  • Artifact: Medium-high drop rate
  • Legendary: Medium drop rate
I really appreciate all this communication.

One concern that I have is that the "devil is in the details" as they say. I know you already covered the questions about actual drop rates. I'm not too concerned about that, since the wording you used gives us a pretty good idea.

My concern is with the above underlined section. Using an extreme example, what if "close to the top of your tier" means e.g. Command Rank 89 / 90? In other words, the drop rates stay flat until you are almost out of your tier. Then of course once you get past that tier, the drop rates go back to the normal low level. If you got unlucky with your one crate, it would be very possible for you to see little to no benefit from this change. So, my opinion on this depends entirely on the numbers, creating a range of opinion anywhere from "YAY" to "ewww."

I know this was an extreme example and I seriously doubt that this will happen, but I'm just trying to get a point across. Thanks!
SS
Malovo - Marauder

Battilea
03.03.2017 , 01:46 PM | #42
I like that these tweaks won't leave us at the mercy of the RNG as much anymore, so overall, that sounds positive.

The thing that does worry me though is these varying drop rates as you advance. If this means that I'm better off hoarding my boxes until I hit a certain Combat Level, say not opening my tier 1's until 50, can't say I'm for that. Even if you don't save the boxes an entire time, it still encourages stockpiling boxes so the drop rates go up. And if the drop rates are so high in the last 15-20 levels that you're pretty much guaranteed a full set there, well, not a super fan of that either, as it sort of invalidates the need for the previous levels. Might as well have fewer levels per tier then.

I'd hope the system instead essentially adds more tiers, potentially quality. Like having green, blue, purple and orange boxes because the example listed three varying drop rates) boxes as you go through the tier. So for tier 1, 1-30 would give you green tier 1 boxes. 31-55 gives you blue. 56-75 purple. And then 76-90 would be oranges, where the best drop rates are. Potentially, 76-88 being orange, and then the last 2 are a step up from that, with a guaranteed token in them that can be exchanged at a special vendor, as a bit of RNG protection. That way, you have no reason to stockpile the boxes, and no need to have overly high drop rates of the good stuff.

Quote: Originally Posted by Darevsool View Post
While I don't agree with the "you don't "need/deserve" the end game gear if you don't do end game content" mentality, I at least recognize it exists and apparently upsets people when other people even just ask about it. (not your post, but the one you quoted)

Not everyone can, or is even interested in, getting into a "raid team"

Personally speaking, I'd much rather farm the weekly planetary missions, or heroics, to get high end gear than be bothered with joining up with 7 random people and HOPE I find a group that gets along and knows what they're doing...and so on (I actually did kind of find such a group on POT5 and a different one on Ebon Hawk).

The mindless repetition of heroics would be my preferred method of gearing, the same way I used to do before 5.0.
If it's strictly the NIM level endgame gear that people are so worried about people like me getting...take that highest level out of the equation.

By the time I got that far along anyway, there's probably be one or two more higher levels at that time.
Yeah, as someone who has played at all levels in MMOs, from being part of the top guild on a server, to just doing PUG raids, to not raiding, to running a guild and organizing raids, I don't buy into the "deserve" bit either. If deserve factored in, the people doing the actual organizing and the few people that you count on to do the right thing in a raid would have the best rewards, not the same ones as the the rest who you mostly rely on just to not do the wrong thing. But the reality is that if those people the raid really relies on deserve the best loot, then over half of raiders don't deserve the same quality. That said...

It's really a matter of finding the right balance of what Furor (at the time, leader of one of the top guilds in EQ, and later, possibly still currently, Blizzard employee working on WoW) used to call PITA (pain in the...) vs reward. It's perfectly fine if both raid and solo content offers the same rewards, as long as that PITA factor is balanced. He went with that terminology over "risk vs reward" because he realized there really isn't any risk, as well as that time and the path of least resistance matter. Which in that case would mean that getting the gear through group and/or harder content would need to be sufficiently faster to offset the slower pace due to needing to organize people/deal with slower progress through the content. Find the right balance and people who want to raid will raid, and people who don't won't, and both will be viable.

Which means that if operations offer the highest possible return on CXP by a sufficient amount, people will do them. Especially if there's some extra loot tossed into the mix. Maybe some speeders, some nifty looking gear, titles, or maybe some ever-so-slightly better loot.

EricMusco
03.03.2017 , 01:55 PM | #43 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by teclado View Post
I really appreciate all this communication.

One concern that I have is that the "devil is in the details" as they say. I know you already covered the questions about actual drop rates. I'm not too concerned about that, since the wording you used gives us a pretty good idea.

My concern is with the above underlined section. Using an extreme example, what if "close to the top of your tier" means e.g. Command Rank 89 / 90? In other words, the drop rates stay flat until you are almost out of your tier. Then of course once you get past that tier, the drop rates go back to the normal low level. If you got unlucky with your one crate, it would be very possible for you to see little to no benefit from this change. So, my opinion on this depends entirely on the numbers, creating a range of opinion anywhere from "YAY" to "ewww."

I know this was an extreme example and I seriously doubt that this will happen, but I'm just trying to get a point across. Thanks!
Fair question! No, it is not that extreme. Using Tier 1 as an example: Command Rank 50 would have better drop rates than 1 and 80 would have better rates than 50, etc.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

docbenwayddo
03.03.2017 , 01:57 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Fair question! No, it is not that extreme. Using Tier 1 as an example: Command Rank 50 would have better drop rates than 1 and 80 would have better rates than 50, etc.

-eric
So it's prudent to never open any crates until you are almost out of a tier?

Asroha
03.03.2017 , 02:04 PM | #45
I'm glad to see the steady subscriber drop has gotten your attention and while these changes are nice, they are not good enough to keep me subbed. This is just fixing a very broken and very, very unpopular system. As someone said earlier, the real problem is RNG.

I couldn't imagine participating in an endgame system designed for a free to play model that's locked behind a subscription. I'' be back to check out 6.0, but as long as GC remains in the game, I'll find another game to play.

EricMusco
03.03.2017 , 02:05 PM | #46 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by docbenwayddo View Post
So it's prudent to never open any crates until you are almost out of a tier?
It is my understanding that after 5.2 Command Crates drop rates are determined by the Rank you acquire them, not the rank you open them.

I am working with the team to get a full understanding of this interaction. I should have more info Monday but I don't believe you can "game it" by opening them at certain levels. I will let you know.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

teclado
03.03.2017 , 02:14 PM | #47
Good stuff, Eric! Thanks man! :fist bump:
SS
Malovo - Marauder

Kyuuu
03.03.2017 , 02:29 PM | #48
IS the fact 230-236 Devastating Vengeance relics are missing from the Tier1/ Tier2/Tier3 unassembled relic vender gona be fix all the other relics present but that one is missing... One cant turn in these relics to get relic they want

I have reported multiple times in game too

jedcjedcjedc
03.03.2017 , 02:45 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Eli_Porter View Post
Still need something to make T1-T3 competitive with T4, so playing alts doesn't feel like I'm slowing down progression.
Bolster would be 238, which is the same 8 point bolster difference as previous, and less than the 10 levels it is now (232 to 242)
"Stun, stun, three on one" - Swtor PvP
"Don't worry, It's not me, It's bolster" -Swtor PvP

xeriphim
03.03.2017 , 02:46 PM | #50
These changes are nice SMALL steps in the right direction. But you've not addressed the fact this is still a loot lottery by RNG. which is not what anyone wanted or asked for . It's not thrilling™ there is not excitement ™ from constantly destroying crate garbage due to lack of a good gear drop. So I'd like to ask since the dev team seems stubborn and loves RNG so much can we have the Dev team's paychecks determined by RNG too!. Maybe then they'll feel the frustration and pain the player base that's so against this RNG garbage has felt and continues to endure. That until real changes are made to this messed up butt backwards system called 5.0.

Til then these proposed changes announced is nothing more then putting lipstick on a pig and calling it improvements when it's really not done anything but shine up a bag a garbage . It's still a bag of garbage. Good luck with this tire fire , maybe things will get better in 6.0 if there is a 6.0 ....

-Frustrated and alienated player .