Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP design

Mrpooba
12.29.2011 , 11:56 PM | #1
Obviously this comes off negative, but this is a sincere question:

How, after over 3 (known) years of game development time, can pvp in this game be so bad?

A whopping 3 warzones, 1-50 brackets, and zero incentive to world pvp. We have instant que, but no choice in what game we play, and no cross-server pvp(and that's fine, I like fighting people in my community, but I find very few people on my server that feel the need to communicate in pvp, which is terrible).

The CC is ridiculous (no diminishing returns + 4 SIs = bye, you lose (and I'm not even complaining about imbalance here, it's just dumb that there can be perpetual stunlock)), the warzones themselves aren't exactly that fun (I considered huttball cool until I played it 3 times in a row), and the majority of people in said warzones just try to kill each other instead of focusing on the objective.

I understood that this game was going to be more PVE oriented going in, but how can it be (in my opinion at least) worse than, say, a certain game that came out 7 years ago at it's own release?

What happened, Gabe?
Sandbox > Themepark

crazysam
12.29.2011 , 11:58 PM | #2
Agree on the 1-50 bracket BW really did even worst then I could ever imagine.
Any competent PvP designer know that **** cant work and still they did -_-

Jooji
12.30.2011 , 12:00 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by crazysam View Post
Well you either need cross-brackets or you need cross-realm, at least until there's a lot of 50s. Maybe they'll add brackets a couple months in once there's enough 50s to keep same realm, same bracket pvp.

**And even once there's a "50" bracket I don't think every 10 levels needs its own bracket, maybe 10-30 and 30-49.

ZombieMeerkat
12.30.2011 , 12:00 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by crazysam View Post
It does work. But you can't see past the QQ goggles.

ZombieMeerkat
12.30.2011 , 12:02 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrpooba View Post
Obviously this comes off negative, but this is a sincere question:

How, after over 3 (known) years of game development time, can pvp in this game be so bad?

A whopping 3 warzones, 1-50 brackets, and zero incentive to world pvp. We have instant que, but no choice in what game we play, and no cross-server pvp(and that's fine, I like fighting people in my community, but I find very few people on my server that feel the need to communicate in pvp, which is terrible).

The CC is ridiculous (no diminishing returns + 4 SIs = bye, you lose (and I'm not even complaining about imbalance here, it's just dumb that there can be perpetual stunlock)), the warzones themselves aren't exactly that fun (I considered huttball cool until I played it 3 times in a row), and the majority of people in said warzones just try to kill each other instead of focusing on the objective.

I understood that this game was going to be more PVE oriented going in, but how can it be (in my opinion at least) worse than, say, a certain game that came out 7 years ago at it's own release?
What happened, Gabe?
This "certain game" didn't even have battlegrounds until much later. When BGs did get implemented, it was only a few maps.

Mrpooba
12.30.2011 , 12:02 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ZombieMeerkat View Post
I mean, when I came in at level 16 fighting other teens and 20s, it wasn't bad, but now I'm queing in at a much higher level, and playing with 12s still, who don't have half their moves.

That's just bad..
Sandbox > Themepark

Mrpooba
12.30.2011 , 12:13 AM | #7
Gabe Amatangelo, please respond and hammer me down because I'm ignorant and don't know what I'm talking about. Please inform me that I'm wrong, and address the already-established plans for the near-future you have that will make PvP at least decent.

That would be pretty cool; I'd fly to Austin and give you a high-five

(but you gotta pay for the ticket)
Sandbox > Themepark

Daisai
12.30.2011 , 12:16 AM | #8
The brackets like they are now make sence for a new mmo.
You basicly dont have alot of lvl 50 players yet and the system they use which is almost the same as in Warhammer to boost your stats really help lower lvl players.

Cross-server BG that you are revering to like in WoW made BG in that game more boring then it ever was.
You didnt build up any form of social contacts on your own server like you did during the proper BG's on your own server.

The CC might be a bit to much yes only thats a balancing issue which can be changed by future patches.
Every new game has balancement issues.
Bit like WoW had a nice balance issue at the start of TBC where they made warriors completely useless for tanking.
And still TBC is the best expansion they ever released.

Untill now you can also use CC yourself on for example the DPS, or boost up the survivability on the target thats being killed.
I know this wont happen much in random warzones only thats a problem by the players not the game mechanics.

"but how can it be (in my opinion at least) worse than, say, a certain game that came out 7 years ago at it's own release? "

Funny how you are revering to wow here.
7 years ago WoW had close to no pve content.
WoW didnt have a single BG untill patch 1.5
The only way to get honor back then was through world pvp.

And lets not forget how awesome balanced the classes were at the start of WoW.
sarcasm intended.

crazysam
12.30.2011 , 12:18 AM | #9
roflmao.

Anyone with a brain knows that a lv 50 has a clear advantage against any lower level.

1-The stats boost they give to lower level is no way near what a lv 50 have.
2-The lower level dont have the same amount of talents and skills from there class, wich results in less dps and/ or healing, mitigation etc etc...

Idunhavaname
12.30.2011 , 12:19 AM | #10
Uh no... it really doesn't work. Level 50s get 14k health with all abilities. Level 20s get about 12k with crap abilities. Unless the 50s suck, the level 20 will get steamrolled.

RIP orange pixel