Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dealing with Troopers

CreamMan
12.28.2011 , 09:52 PM | #1
Hello all,

So far I've been enjoying pvping in SWTOR. It's jolly good fun.

I'm currently 47 and Madness specced.

I fair pretty well in battlegrounds, as we're not a particularly advanced server as far as lvl 50's go. (Krath)

I can take on most classes 1v1, and win a decent amount of times. Not always. I'm not some fantastic pvper, but I like to think I'm okay.

However, one class that I really have trouble with is the Trooper.

They just seem so tough and hard-hitting, that by the time I've put up my dots they've already gotten me to around 60% health and eaten through my first shield. Then they seem to shrug off my damage and lol-tar their way to victory.

So my fellow sorcerers, how do you deal with this meaty menace and come out on top?
CE VIP

Squadron 419.

nicnik
12.29.2011 , 12:14 AM | #2
u dont >.<

operative or trooper that isnt asleep/noob will eat any mage alive. fact they can pull off more than double the burst in a few secs is the problem.

Cyrric
12.29.2011 , 12:25 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by CreamMan View Post
Hello all,

So far I've been enjoying pvping in SWTOR. It's jolly good fun.

I'm currently 47 and Madness specced.

I fair pretty well in battlegrounds, as we're not a particularly advanced server as far as lvl 50's go. (Krath)

I can take on most classes 1v1, and win a decent amount of times. Not always. I'm not some fantastic pvper, but I like to think I'm okay.

However, one class that I really have trouble with is the Trooper.

They just seem so tough and hard-hitting, that by the time I've put up my dots they've already gotten me to around 60% health and eaten through my first shield. Then they seem to shrug off my damage and lol-tar their way to victory.

So my fellow sorcerers, how do you deal with this meaty menace and come out on top?
U can beat them U have to LoS as often as possible while your Dots kill em Interrupt and always make sure u go in with a shield on. they are tuff Troopers and BH both alike.

RidowHyrim
12.29.2011 , 12:42 AM | #4
Sorcerers, not matter what spec, have pretty horrible burst DPS. We have an excellent ability to pad stats, and are exceptional in group PvP, but can't compete with other classes in terms of raw damage in the shortest possible amount of time.
On top of that, troopers are incredibly nasty if played right.

Commando DPS: Grav round spamming: massive spam cast DPS. If he is left alone to freecast, he's going to put your healers in panic mode to keep up with the damage.

Commando healer: good armor, good healing, stupid survivability cool downs. It gets really fun when you have a trooper healer being guarded by a trooper tank. That + damage sheild = lulz

Vanguard: excellent opportunity to pad stats, the spike DPS isn't bad either, but I wouldn't say it has sustained DPS. Hard as crap to kill of course.
Ridow HirimSrue Hirim
Prophecy of the Five
SWG SWTOR WoW WAR RIFT DF APB GW AoC

RidowHyrim
12.29.2011 , 01:02 AM | #5
Sorcerers, not matter what spec, have pretty horrible burst DPS. We have an excellent ability to pad stats, and are exceptional in group PvP, but can't compete with other classes in terms of raw damage in the shortest possible amount of time.
On top of that, troopers are incredibly nasty if played right.

Commando DPS: Grav round spamming: massive spam cast DPS. If he is left alone to freecast, he's going to put your healers in panic mode to keep up with the damage.

Commando healer: good armor, good healing, stupid survivability cool downs. It gets really fun when you have a trooper healer being guarded by a trooper tank. That + damage sheild = lulz

Vanguard: excellent opportunity to pad stats, the spike DPS isn't bad either, but I wouldn't say it has sustained DPS. Hard as crap to kill of course.
Ridow HirimSrue Hirim
Prophecy of the Five
SWG SWTOR WoW WAR RIFT DF APB GW AoC

Aqualisk
12.29.2011 , 03:07 AM | #6
Line of sight is definitely your friend vs. Troopers/Mercs. They're basically turrets and rely on channeled abilities to deal their damage. Any time you break LoS it halts their damage output and forces them to waste ammo/build heat to do it again.

Also it's imperative that you jolt their Grav Round/Tracer Missile or their Full Auto/Unload. Unless they're pyro/assault spec those two abilities are where 90% of their damage comes from. Grav Round is especially hurtful because they can't build up charges on you to follow up with demolition round.

They deal a lot of damage if you let them, but if you interrupt their channels you'll find that their ability to deal damage to you is crippled.

If it's a Vanguard or Powertech you should be able to outlast them since you can heal and they cannot. Treat them as the reverse of commandos. You want to keep your distance and take pot shots while they're out of range. They do most of their damage <10 meters so be sure to kite them.

GeLopez
12.29.2011 , 03:18 AM | #7
I have never lost against a Commando or Bounty Hunter. Just LOS, use your interrupts wisely, and keep DOTs up. Don't be afraid to kite out of range while keeping DOTs up.
Lopez - Jedi Sage @ The Fatman

CreamMan
12.29.2011 , 11:20 PM | #8
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Unfortunately I can only mimic what people have already stated. The only time I've beaten troopers 1v1 is when I have a pillar to hug and they can't grav round + grav round + grav round + demolition shot = haha udied.

Looking at other classes like the Sniper and the Trooper/BH with their staple 1.5 second spell (Snipe, Grav Round, Tracer Missile respectively), and it makes me feel kinda ashamed that ours (lightning strike), takes just as long to cast and has the same range. (except sniper) yet does half the damage.

I suppose blaster weapons are more than a match for hokey religions.
CE VIP

Squadron 419.