Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are Credit Spammers ever going to be dealt with?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Are Credit Spammers ever going to be dealt with?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RudeDog
01.31.2017 , 09:31 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Zasszz View Post

The good old fairy tales about stolen accounts and credit cards... Because stolen accounts require new characters with wordsalad as names to farm instead of the chars left behind from the former owner... Riiiiight. Stop spreading the same lies as the devs do. It gets not just boring after 15 years its also dishonest and silly.

The methods of the devs dont work. They are not effective at all. Its just a bandaid under the pretence to fight the spammers and sellers.
True story - I had an account for WoW when it first started. I played maybe a day or two, but didn't like the cartoon graphics, so stopped playing. I forgot to unsubscribe, so I was paying monthly with a CC. It was re-upped every month and I continued to pay for it without realizing it. Then I got an email that I was selling credits and my account was banned. Accounts do get stolen. Thankfully they banned me or I would still be paying for that game and not knowing it....

Stellarcrusade
01.31.2017 , 10:06 AM | #22
Subscription MMOs will always have credit spammers. Because subscription MMOs try to slow progression down too much to squeeze money out of you. In the case of WOW they squeezed very hard. Really, its this squeeze that creates credit spammers because people do the math in their heads and to some people it is worth it.

When I was on Wow pre-expansion I remember I got my character to the level I could finally get my first mount so I didn't have to walk everywhere, and I went to the mount vendor and was shocked how high the cost was. I did the math in my head that it would take me 4 months of grinding gold to get my mount. So my choice was to pay for 4 months of boring grind, or buy gold and actually play the fun parts of the game for those 4 months. In the end I did the right thing and just did the grind, but I can see how the game is at fault for the gold farmers, not the player.

To this day I would never pay a credit/gold farmer, because I would feel like I would be supporting the spam business...;-)

EricMusco
01.31.2017 , 10:13 AM | #23 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
This is a topic we have certainly talked about quite a bit in the past. Our fight against credit spammers is always on-going and something that will be tricky to ever resolve 100%. Sometimes we wait to take action to take down entire "rings" of sellers at one time, other times we take more direct frequent action, typically against compromised accounts.

We know it can be frustrating and it is something we are constantly looking to address. Always report them when you see them, it helps us immensely in taking them down.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

ImmortalLowlife
01.31.2017 , 11:25 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Blizzard finally got sick of the credit spammers and have added a system where you can by a credit medallion in their story and use it yourself or even list it on the auction house because it's not BOP.

I guess that's the next option for Bio.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the "B2W" issue everyone's always worried about? I mean... if I can buy a token for rl $$$ on the GTN that gives me say..... $10mil in game credits for $5, then suddenly for about $50 I could buy pretty much ANYTHING in the game available on the GTN. Including the top tier armor mods, hilts, barrels, etc.

Aside from armor with set bonuses that is...

While I'd personally LOVE to be able to do that, I can only imagine the RAGE it'd cause others. Lol
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!

Talon_strikes
01.31.2017 , 11:41 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
This is a topic we have certainly talked about quite a bit in the past. Our fight against credit spammers is always on-going and something that will be tricky to ever resolve 100%. Sometimes we wait to take action to take down entire "rings" of sellers at one time, other times we take more direct frequent action, typically against compromised accounts.

We know it can be frustrating and it is something we are constantly looking to address. Always report them when you see them, it helps us immensely in taking them down.

-eric
If you can pass it on to the appropriate channels please tell them to have mailboxes removed on the starter planets. It's been asked for a long time now and I think it would severely impede on the credit spammers. Thanks!
Do you want free 7 days of subscription time? And one free server transfer?
With a bundle of goodies? And obtain these rewards every 90 days?
Then click my referral link and login to an existing account, or create a new one, for these rewards today! Don't forget to bookmark it too!

jimmorrisson
01.31.2017 , 11:59 AM | #26
When spammers are delt with their accounts should be deleted to free up ignore list space

Shepird
01.31.2017 , 12:27 PM | #27
I have always figured these guys were just trying to get your credit card info.

NovaGrantham
01.31.2017 , 12:46 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

-eric
Eric,

One of the things that other games have successfully done is turn game time/subscriptions into a resalable item within the game. (EG: Eve Online's PLEX) This allows you to combat the credit spammers by destroying the market utterly.

Give the PLEX a value where players can purchase it with Credits on the GTN and give players a way to buy into the credits they need, while maintaining control of the market and utterly annihilating any Credit Resaler's method of keeping up with Bioware's new method (how can they keep up with the ability to just create Subscription Objects on the fly?).

Is this something that Bioware has discussed as a permanent resolution to the problem? Even Blizzard and WoW have gone forward with this solution.
Agrippa - 50 Sith Immortal Juggernaut
R.I.P. Ajunta Pall
The Invisus Legacy

Andryah
01.31.2017 , 12:46 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Rankyn View Post
They will never EVER be able to completely eliminate credit spammers.
They're like roaches.
The sooner you come to terms with this, the better off you'll be.

Report.
Ignore.
Forget.
Yep. Dealing with RMT gatherers, spammers, and in game mailers is an ongoing and iterative process. It's the nature of MMOs.

I have to say though.. the mail spammers are indeed having to get really creative in their mail spam now days to get past the studios filters. They are getting laughable and almost unreadable. But it does demonstrate that the studio continues to try to filter their communications attempts out of the game.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Rrusalka
01.31.2017 , 01:10 PM | #30
For chat spam reporting we need a "Report Gold Seller" option. Instead of just report spam. Honestly I haven't reported email spam in some time and I will not. It completely blocks you from getting customer support. You can easily report enough in a week to completely fill up the support box and then you are hosed waiting weeks to months for CS to clear out your reports.

That is just not worth it. The mail process for gold seller reports should be automated so it is shuffled elsewhere and not leaving legit players high and dry when they are trying to help the process.