Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

January 26th Livestream Wrap-up

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
January 26th Livestream Wrap-up
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
01.26.2017 , 04:48 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Thank you everyone for tuning in! If you missed it, here is what we discussed.

On Tuesday we released Game Update 5.1 - Defend the Throne
  • Master Mode Chapters
  • 5 new Uprisings
  • Galactic Command Gearing Changes -- We know that the changes in 5.1 are just the start. We are looking into simplifying, making faster, and making more alt friendly the gearing in GC. We are also looking into making getting through Command Ranks faster.

Coming in April, Game Update 5.2 which will include
  • Brand new story arc on Iokath. The Empire and Republic are fighting over control of the planet and you, as the Alliance Commander will choose who to side with.
  • Two returning Companions: Quinn and Elara.
  • After completing Iokath's storyline, it opens up into a new daily area.
  • Coming with Iokath is the first boss of a new Operation. Each subsequent boss will be released in the future with the entire Op being completely released this year.
  • We are planning to have a PTS for 5.2 in the next few weeks. More details to follow.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

mattjurado
01.26.2017 , 04:49 PM | #2
After today's stream... here is my take, and some other random thoughts. Hopefully this comes off without sounding too bitter.

I was hoping we would get a much bigger content announcement, say for Summer. A complete operation, warzone, gsf map. So much has been neglected, in addition to the mess that is 5.0/cxp. I've paid for this game for 5 years. GM of a medium/large sized (well, small in activity now) guild on Harbinger. Probably a years worth of gameplay if I add up my alts (my main is something like 200 days). Sadly, I cannot support this game anymore. I've loved this game, but I am disappointed with the studio if I'm being polite. Kudos for finally trying to do something about group content, but group content should never have been neglected like this to begin with...

I have very low expectations for daily areas, especially after Ziost which was a graveyard in less than a month after it came out.

New story is good for those players, but frankly I haven't enjoyed the story since SoR. The chapter stories are not my cup of tea, both in mode and content.

New operation is 2 years too late. 1 boss will not bring back guilds to life, and that's really what I (and many other dead guilds) need to continue to have fun. Its just not enough to make daily players come back so GSF or PVP is healthy on most servers, nor guilds to have people login daily to 'do stuff.' I fully appreciate that this takes time, and maybe better than holding off until late 2017, but in the end the interaction with other players having fun is what keeps paid subscribers around. Most guilds need a large content update to get people subscribed again, to do things. Of course this is just my opinion, 5.2 won't do that.

Obviously the other issues with cxp/bug fixing/class balance should be addressed... After 5 years, bug fixes and class balance really aren't even worth talking about at this point. That's a sad thing.

Ultimately I'm most frustrated with the studio's lack of communication with their player base. The class rep system should have been a priority, so there were at least a handful of high level paying players interacting directly with the community manager. Sorry Musco, nothing personal, but I would grade you an F as a community manager. No offense, its just how I feel as a paying customer. There are SO many things in this game that are neglected for months and in some cases years, without a word of input from you. Yes I've seen Snave's interviews and I heard your policy of 'well if there's nothing to announce I'd rather not comment until I actually have something confirmed' (paraphrasing), but when years pass and so many things are ignored we feel like you don't care. I'm sure you do care, and maybe you are limited by someone else such as Ben or someone 'in corporate'. In which case they deserve credit for the what I expect to be a continually dwindling subscriber base.

Doesn't change how I and many others feel/felt about the state of this game and the lack of communication with your player base.

I've loved 5 years of PVP, raiding, cheevo grinding, playing original class stories. It may be just a game, but its given me a lot of fond memories.

Sub is done 2/7, I'll not be back. Thank you.
Harbinger
Obim / Julieta / Yippee'ki'yay / Flacita / Obizzle / Leap'Bug'Fail / Rollingrock / Roscopcoltrane / Pull'My'Lekku / Yumbo Yack / Just Let'it'Happen / 'bbght'bm / Wumberie / Wumbpool
Bootychaser

grania
01.26.2017 , 04:50 PM | #3
You know not *everyone* is gonna kill Quinn, ya?
--,-'-{## ##}-'-,--

Iwipe
01.26.2017 , 04:50 PM | #4
New Ops finally

Jerba
01.26.2017 , 04:51 PM | #5
Thanks for the stream! A new operation is great news, my guildies have been waiting for that for a long time and I hope some will return now. My raid group is looking forward to testing the boss on the PTS and giving feedback!

Regarding PTS, I hope it will be open. If you do a closed PTS and e.g. invite 8 players from a raid group, it will be difficult to test the operation in case a player can't make it to raid. An open PTS will make it easier to swap in other guildies, even allow for spontaneous raids, and then we can openly talk about it without worrying about NDA or datamining.
Of course, this means that once the ops boss hits the live server, it is not "new" but from past PTS, we know that only the most dedicated players will be on the PTS, so most players won't see the operation until it hits the live server.

Sounds great that you are planning a bonus CXP event! Based on what I've seen, a 3x to 5x increase would be perfect, double CXP is not enough. If you compare the rate of gear acquisition to previous tiers (2.0/3.0), usually raid groups could get everyone equipped within 8 weeks, and that was by just running operations for a few hours each week. Same for PvP, players could get a full set within a few weeks.
Now, you have to put in 5-10 hours a day to earn gear this fast. Most players only have a few hours of playtime each week, and it would take them months, if not over a year to gear up. A 3x to 5x increase would be perfect in my opinion, not too fast so players get bored, and not too slow where they lose motivation. Please also increase the rate of Unassembled Components by the same amount, because otherwise players need to do over 1000 warzones to get their gear.

My two questions are:
  • Is it required to complete the KotET story/Iokath daily area before doing the Operation? (Primarily asking because players have multiple alts for raiding, but not all characters have done the story)
  • Will the operation be available in both 8-man and 16-man mode? Charles talked about Story/Veteran/Master Mode but didn't mention 16-man.

RexRuiz
01.26.2017 , 04:52 PM | #6
Question and probably I know the answer, but its worth the shot.

Is 5.2 the story and planet be avaiable only to subs at the time or also prefered that finished the Kotet story??

Talon_strikes
01.26.2017 , 04:58 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Thank you everyone for tuning in! If you missed it, here is what we discussed.

On Tuesday we released Game Update 5.1 - Defend the Throne
  • Galactic Command Gearing Changes -- We know that the changes in 5.1 are just the start. We are looking into simplifying, making faster, and making more alt friendly the gearing in GC. We are also looking into making getting through Command Ranks faster.
This is a GREAT start! Any word on when this is going to be legacy-wide? You guys NEED to make this alt-friendly.

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Coming in April, Game Update 5.2 which will include
  • Coming with Iokath is the first boss of a new Operation. Each subsequent boss will be released in the future with the entire Op being completely released this year.
So it seems like Operations will be released in a similar manner like KotFE was. Why this change in release cadence? Not really a fan. How come you guys can't make the whole thing and release it at once? You guys did acknowledge that 2017 would be the year for group content for quite some time now.
Do you want free 7 days of subscription time? And one free server transfer?
With a bundle of goodies? And obtain these rewards every 90 days?
Then click my referral link and login to an existing account, or create a new one, for these rewards today! Don't forget to bookmark it too!

Udoroththefinal
01.26.2017 , 04:59 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by grania View Post
You know not *everyone* is gonna kill Quinn, ya?
If you don't play as a Jedi parading a sith obsessed with getting light 5 or something then YES you will wan to kill him, he betrayed you picking his "job" over his loyalty to you after making that big talk about loyalty on balmora

He'll the only thing that makes less sense is quinnmancers

Now real talk, is this thing going to be a full fleged game expansion like Kotef/Kotet or a "side along" thing like the ilium storyline?

Jerba
01.26.2017 , 05:03 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_strikes View Post
So it seems like Operations will be released in a similar manner like KotFE was. Why this change in release cadence? Not really a fan. How come you guys can't make the whole thing and release it at once? You guys did acknowledge that 2017 would be the year for group content for quite some time now.
They explained in the stream that the full operation wouldn't be ready until the end of the year. So if I have to choose between getting one boss in a couple of weeks on the PTS, or waiting until the end of the year for an operation, I'd also rather have piecemeal bosses.

Tsillah
01.26.2017 , 05:03 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Udoroththefinal View Post
Now real talk, is this thing going to be a full fleged game expansion like Kotef/Kotet or a "side along" thing like the ilium storyline?
As it's 5.2 it's still part of 5, which is KOTET. This is simply an addition to KOTET not a new expansion. A new expansion would be called 6.0
Galactic Command shall fall. May the Empire rise!

Gratuitous display of referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB Use it for some goodies or don't