Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bolster Changes in Game Update 5.1

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bolster Changes in Game Update 5.1
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
01.25.2017 , 05:30 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

For those unaware, in Game Update 5.1 we made the following change:
  • Bolster now improves players up to 232 Item Rating (down from 250).

This change raised quite a few questions from the PvP community as to why we made the change. I spoke with the team about it and I want to start by confirming that this change is intended, letís talk about why! When we released Game Update 5.0, Bolster was incorrectly set to Item Rating 250. The goal of Bolster is that it gives a player a minimum bar of power. That is so that they can enter PvP and not be too far behind someone who is at maximum gear, but it allows them enough room so that if they are a more skilled player, they can prevail. Still, getting gear is important and the 250 Bolster made getting any gear virtually unneeded for PvP progression.

The reason we moved Bolster down to 232 Item Rating is because of its rating relative to the best gear in the game, which is Item Rating 242. This means that someone with brand new gear entering into a Warzone is at worst, 10 Item Rating away from the best geared players. As an example, this works almost identically to how it worked prior to Knights of the Eternal Throne. During Fallen Empire, the best PvP gear in the game was item rating 208 and Bolster would raise your character to 200, an 8 rating difference. In short, the difference in power now should be almost identical to the difference that existed prior to KOTET.

That being said, part of this issue is that we did not communicate this at all to you ahead of time. Not only that, it was similarly missed in the patch notes so you received no warning at all of this change or why it happened. We messed up communicating this to you and I apologize for that. It was never our intent to hide this from you, it was just missed. I have been talking with the team yesterday and today about the changes that were missed and what procedures we can adjust to ensure we donít miss them in the future.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Gabzizzle
01.25.2017 , 05:38 PM | #2
tl;dr revert bolster changes.

MuskyBoy
01.25.2017 , 05:42 PM | #3
Eric,

In 4.0 the bolstered gear rating to 200 was fine because players were not required to grind forever to get on a level playing field. You could get enough comms in lowbie PVP to go straight into 70's in full 208 and comms were transferrable between alts. Grinding for months on end to achieve a level playing field is not in the best interests of the player base and it shows to you need to go back to 2 sets of gear (PVP and PVE). My only issue with bolster pre patch was TTK on players was too high and not enough people were dying but the nerf needed to be down to 232 for everyone (making 242 gear redundant for everything bar operations and master solo) or nerf it down to 242. Gear should not be a determining factor in PVP.

Kirtastropohe
01.25.2017 , 05:50 PM | #4
Thank you for this communication. I appreciate the time. I mean no disrespect, but your post has given me some concerns.
  • I guess my first issue is that, this isn't the first time something so big has failed to be communicated. How does this continue to happen?
  • Second point. Bolster incorrectly set at 250 for 5.0. How does that happen? How the heck does the patch go through final testing and check with such an incorrect rating? That's ridiculous.
  • If it was 8 points different prior, why have it be 10 now and increase the distance between have and have nots?

eriksarcasm
01.25.2017 , 05:53 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MuskyBoy View Post
Eric,

In 4.0 the bolstered gear rating to 200 was fine because players were not required to grind forever to get on a level playing field. You could get enough comms in lowbie PVP to go straight into 70's in full 208 and comms were transferrable between alts. Grinding for months on end to achieve a level playing field is not in the best interests of the player base and it shows to you need to go back to 2 sets of gear (PVP and PVE). My only issue with bolster pre patch was TTK on players was too high and not enough people were dying but the nerf needed to be down to 232 for everyone (making 242 gear redundant for everything bar operations and master solo) or nerf it down to 242. Gear should not be a determining factor in PVP.
Can't say it any better than this.
It's what i do... I drink, and I know things.

Warforever
01.25.2017 , 05:53 PM | #6
Complain, complain, complain. I LOVE THE CHANGE!! THANK YOU!!! I dont really like the grind but it brings me back to yester-year when you HAD to grind for Ranked gear, then grind some more ranked comms to min max your stats. So...I dont mind.
RamrÝd - Ramrodfett - InsidiŲŁs
Care Bear Tickle Party - Harbinger

Joonbeams
01.25.2017 , 05:54 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

For those unaware, in Game Update 5.1 we made the following change:
  • Bolster now improves players up to 232 Item Rating (down from 250).

This change raised quite a few questions from the PvP community as to why we made the change. I spoke with the team about it and I want to start by confirming that this change is intended, letís talk about why! When we released Game Update 5.0, Bolster was incorrectly set to Item Rating 250. The goal of Bolster is that it gives a player a minimum bar of power. That is so that they can enter PvP and not be too far behind someone who is at maximum gear, but it allows them enough room so that if they are a more skilled player, they can prevail. Still, getting gear is important and the 250 Bolster made getting any gear virtually unneeded for PvP progression.

The reason we moved Bolster down to 232 Item Rating is because of its rating relative to the best gear in the game, which is Item Rating 242. This means that someone with brand new gear entering into a Warzone is at worst, 10 Item Rating away from the best geared players. As an example, this works almost identically to how it worked prior to Knights of the Eternal Throne. During Fallen Empire, the best PvP gear in the game was item rating 208 and Bolster would raise your character to 200, an 8 rating difference. In short, the difference in power now should be almost identical to the difference that existed prior to KOTET.

That being said, part of this issue is that we did not communicate this at all to you ahead of time. Not only that, it was similarly missed in the patch notes so you received no warning at all of this change or why it happened. We messed up communicating this to you and I apologize for that. It was never our intent to hide this from you, it was just missed. I have been talking with the team yesterday and today about the changes that were missed and what procedures we can adjust to ensure we donít miss them in the future.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
First of all, thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

But this is not analogous to 4.0. In KOFTE, you could very quickly get to BiS PvP gear just doing dailies (even while leveling). For a relatively low amount of comms, you would be in BiS gear quickly and not need bolster. This essentially made gear irrelevant in PvP. However now it's nearly impossible to get BiS gear without massive grind. So that means there is a major gear differential between those who've grinded to and have 242 and those without, making quality of gear determinative of outcome for most matches b/w skilled players.

EricMusco
01.25.2017 , 05:55 PM | #8 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by MuskyBoy View Post
Eric,

We hear you on that and we are committed to continue working on improving the gearing experience in the game. Still, we want to make sure that Bolster is set up properly going forward. We don't want to not fix Bolster because of gearing issues, let's just work on improving gearing as well.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

AscendingSky
01.25.2017 , 05:58 PM | #9
Of course you were trying to keep the bolster nerf knowledge away from the community. If you hadn't, you would have communicated the upcoming changes well ahead of time, like you did other changes in the patch notes (such as the Frankenstein's monster of a gearing system you've come up with to try to pretend that GC isn't a complete failure). Couple that with it being left completely out of the patch notes as originally issued, and then being sneakily snuck into the patch after the servers re-opened (which you guys did not even acknowledge until players on the forums called you out on it!), and it becomes clear this was a deliberate and calculated omission on the part of EAWare employees to keep PvP players in the dark and unable to provide negative feedback about the change until it was a done deal.

Shame on you, shame on all of you.
#RemoveRNG
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

nzologic
01.25.2017 , 06:07 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

We hear you on that and we are committed to continue working on improving the gearing experience in the game. Still, we want to make sure that Bolster is set up properly going forward. We don't want to not fix Bolster because of gearing issues, let's just work on improving gearing as well.

-eric
It's very nice to have some feed back in the pvp forums for a change.

The current gearing system makes gearing all but impossible for people that log on to pvp for a couple hours each day.
With the new bolster I'm essentially being punished in warzones because:
A). I don't play 6 hours a day
B). When I do play, all I feel like doing is pvp.

The fact that I can't properly gear my toon(s) for pvp through pvp seems redundant.
Quote: Originally Posted by koruptdsaiyajin View Post
Healer Sorcs are the reason I day drink