Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class without a ton of keybinds?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Class without a ton of keybinds?

Dabrixmgp
12.29.2011 , 06:13 PM | #1
I have seen videos for a lot of classes and people are using 4 hotbars and every single letter on their keyboard is bound to something. Do you really need to use 30+ abilities for every class? I actually prefer focusing on combat and enjoying the game rather than trying to figure out what letter I keybound ability X to. Having to juggle a ton of abilities where if you forget to use something your DPS plummets, or worse you die, just isnt fun for me.

Guess I should add will be playing Republic.

Ishanaroya
12.29.2011 , 06:38 PM | #2
Short answer - any class can be played with as little as two or three keys, but most if not all have a wide range of abilities that are added to your quick bar by default as you gain them.

As with many other MMOs you will have to learn multiple abilities and use them in a nice order to be at the very top of your game, but the difference in DPS for example, isn't necessarily that great between an expert and a button-masher.
"What would Buffy do...?"

Dabrixmgp
12.29.2011 , 06:45 PM | #3
guess its a good thing I bought that WoW cata mouse that has 14 buttons. I tried a Naga but the buttons are just too small.

Also are most abilities situational or pvp oriented. How many can I expect to use for normal every day PvE stuff.

Bibdy
12.29.2011 , 06:46 PM | #4
If you get comfortable using the Shift key, that'll open up a lot of keybinding doors. I've been able to bind pretty much everything to the keys around WASD with the extra 'layer' of the Shift key.

Dabrixmgp
12.29.2011 , 06:59 PM | #5
always found alt easier to use. But im more comfortable mouse binding which is why I got one with 14 buttons. I always move my character with my mouse and my right hand never leaves it so it makes sense to have abilities bound there as well

DrManse
12.29.2011 , 08:05 PM | #6
Personally I would be really disappointed in this game if you didn't need to use 6+ skills to excel. Anything less would be boring.
Having said that I'm leveling a gunnery commando and if you go gunnery tree as I am you can use a simple 3 skill combo and do damage that is maybe 85% of the possible maximum. I'm just guessing about the numbers based on my own observations. You'll still need to do more complex rotations to really excel, but frankly it isn't necessary to get through the content I've seen thus far.

Deslan
12.29.2011 , 08:41 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ishanaroya View Post
Short answer - any class can be played with as little as two or three keys.
Not quite true. I found the lvl 30 class quest boss nigh impossible until I discovered the two "interrupt" skills that I had trained and forgotten about. Interrupting his abilities made the fight easy, but just DPS:ing him didn't work and just healing my DPS or tank companion didn't work either. So this entire fight seems to rely on the player learning to use each and every skill that has been trained.

For trash mobs though, yes, you could play with just one single skill. Actually, if you are prepared to grind mobs for eternity and gain enough experience that way to outlevel everything, I guess the lvl 30 boss is easy if you reach lvl 40 yourself first... But if you want to play the game in some sort of a realistic way, then you need to learn how to use every skill before you can progress.

Darthshnooky
12.29.2011 , 09:59 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Ishanaroya View Post
Short answer - any class can be played with as little as two or three keys, but most if not all have a wide range of abilities that are added to your quick bar by default as you gain them.
Clearly you're not playing a Juggernaut/Guardian. There's no way to play with less than 5-6 buttons minimum, and playing decently requires about 10 different buttons at least.