Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Evolution of Star Wars very slow?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Evolution of Star Wars very slow?

Lordkoon
12.29.2011 , 12:14 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Daraco View Post
Once again i post this

Just ask yourself this "Would you want to play a STARWARS game that doesn't resemble STARWARS, be a jedi before the lightsaber was invented, go to planets before they were settled?"

when it comes down to it, you want a universe that evolves as rapidly as real life does you create a COMPLETELY different universe all together and it loses what makes it starwars
Well forget the technology thing.The Cities of every planet are the same as they are 3000 years later. Take Coruscant for example. The Senate building is like 3000 + years old? The position of the jedi temple is the same as in the movies... I personally think Bioware could have put some more work on the ''3000 years ago'' feeling.

And yes I would be delighted to go to planets before they were settled or actually help with the historical event of that settlement in a quest group much like on Taris (alas a planet unknown in the movies to make comparisons.
Atleast I cant complain about Tatooine. It is as much tatooinish as it would be 10000 years ago. Its a desert after all.
<(//////////)[>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

steelhart
12.29.2011 , 03:09 PM | #12
And Alderaan wasn't a planet we saw except for the shot of the globe.

Viera
12.29.2011 , 03:36 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Lordkoon View Post
Well forget the technology thing.The Cities of every planet are the same as they are 3000 years later. Take Coruscant for example. The Senate building is like 3000 + years old? The position of the jedi temple is the same as in the movies... I personally think Bioware could have put some more work on the ''3000 years ago'' feeling.

And yes I would be delighted to go to planets before they were settled or actually help with the historical event of that settlement in a quest group much like on Taris (alas a planet unknown in the movies to make comparisons.
Atleast I cant complain about Tatooine. It is as much tatooinish as it would be 10000 years ago. Its a desert after all.
Unfortunately, these are all things that were decided before BioWare even came into it. The location of the Senate Building has probably been the same for over 10,000 years. The location of the Jedi Temple is an easy one to explain.

Quote:
In 5,000 BBY, the Jedi and the Sith Empire clashed in the Great Hyperspace War. Many worlds were forever scarred in that battle, but the Jedi were able to repulse the invaders. After that, the Republic granted the Jedi land over a Force nexus: a sacred mountain on Coruscant.
As for Tattooine, Tattooine is a desert because it was bombed into nothing but sand by the Infinite Empire.

As for cities remaining the same over three thousand years. Well, Courscant was an entire city-planet before KOTOR even began. There isn't going to be exactly alot of changes once the entire planet is now a city. Aside from that, they've had thousands of years to prefect their architecture before KOTOR even happened. It is far more likely to believe they simply reuse templates which are effective at their purpose much as society does today.

Keep in mind the Republic has existed for over 20,000 years prior to KOTOR.
"I was a historian once, gathering the relics of the Jedi, learning the ancient mysteries. Always, there were more questions."

kishe
12.29.2011 , 05:10 PM | #14
I remember reading old interview where Bioware rep said that when making first KOTOR, they first thought of making it more medieval but talking with Lucarts they decided it would lose what makes it Star Wars.

masterleonidas
12.29.2011 , 06:26 PM | #15
I read once that in the old republic double bladed lightsabers and weilding 2 lightsaberss at the same time was frowned upon. So why is just bout everybody using a double blade or weilding two?

Wolfninjajedi
12.29.2011 , 06:30 PM | #16
Bacta > Kolto

Medical droids become far more advanced and accurate

Astromech droids can do a lot more

Weapons/military technology vastly improve

And yes there are still personal shield generators IG-88 used one, Kyle Katarn, Jaden Korr, its just by that time the craft was lost or the tech was simply outdated by the time which is why many didn't use them.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Jaidan
12.29.2011 , 09:22 PM | #17
this no different than say lord of the rings, or for that matter just about any high fantasy style story/universe.

civilization in these sort of settings are usually thousands of years old, oftentimes built up on the remnants of a former, even greater civilization which fell in some sort of great tragedy. yet their technology is the same at the present as it was in the "golden age"

not at all based on reality, where in a little under 5 thousand years of recorded history we've gone from hooting at fire in caves to sending probes out beyond the edge of our solar system into deep space.

its just something you gotta accept... willing suspension of disbelief.

Jaidan
12.29.2011 , 09:28 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Lordkoon View Post

that sort of thing is done purposefully.

its a common tactic in the genre. it lends a sense of epic-ness to the atmosphere. that this thing has existed here since long before you came into the picture, and it will continue to exist long after.

basically, this device is used to convey the impression that you are only a part of the story, not the whole story (albeit an important part of the story)... its designed to invoke feelings similar to what people experience when they visit the Colosseum in Rome, or the pyramids of Egypt.

Quote: Originally Posted by masterleonidas View Post
I read once that in the old republic double bladed lightsabers and weilding 2 lightsaberss at the same time was frowned upon. So why is just bout everybody using a double blade or weilding two?
jedi frown upon double sabers because its viewed as an aggressive weapon that doesn't exactly fit with their philosophy.

and dual sabers, hell, dual weapons of any kind, are extremely difficult to master, which is why they're pretty uncommon. in the time it takes to become merely proficient with dual wielding, one could usually become an expert in wielding a single weapon.