defeat Vaylin's spirit.

kenbe

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 more times and all I can do is to get her down half way.. EA are you reading all of this from everybody?

Get this off of veterans mode and into story mode Please.

There's a toggle to change the mode at the bottom of the chapter selection page-thingy.

You have to leave the phase to change the mode and sometimes you might need to reset the mission.

Edit: if that still doesn't work (I've had weirder bugs) then you might need to have CS change it manually.

Edited by AshlaBoga

This is probably already mentioned in the beginning of the thread, but I'm going to put a reminder in here:

1) You MUST stay inside the purple circle that swirls around Vaylin while fighting her, or your attacks will be reflected back at you. When I see people here complaining about how they are "taking tons of damage" I wonder if this is what's going on, because I rarely found myself needing those healing pools, and this was on characters that did not have any self heals to speak of.

2) You MUST get out of the giant red circle when it appears around Vaylin. You get so many seconds to do this before she sets off a giant AOE. Run, use a speed boost, do that awesome gunslinger roll, whatever works for you. Run through a healing puddle on the way back if you need to, or pop a defense skill to help cover you while you make the run back to her. (Half the time she jumps to you, so you may not even need to do this.)

Using these two tactics I was able to complete this fight on a gunslinger (sharpshooter) and a DPS guardian. Story mode, of course, I can't help you with veteran. :o On one of the fights I didn't have a companion and I had to fight Arcann at the same time as well. I'm not an elite player, so if these methods worked for me, they should work for you too!

Be sure to read the little icons on the boss to find out about things like the purple circle. The tooltip tells you what the circle does.

For me it was more difficult with my scroundrel (healer) and no companion than my sorcerer as my sorcerer could actually stand toe to toe with her and rain down lightening until I need to move when the red circle came up so I wasn't knocked back. For my sorcerer it was a lot simpler than my scroundrel as my scroundrel had to keep moving around and of course it was the first time I did it and was still learning the fight.

My sorcerer I knew what the fight was about and stayed next to her and it went a lot easier.

Edited by casirabit

The KOTE expansion is almost too easy. I could easily defeat all mobs and bosses without hardly losing any health. That’s why the fight with Vaylin is so surprising, because it is so hard. I think it took me about 20 tries to figure it out.

In fact I almost gave up but my BFF (best female friend) encouraged me to keep trying. In my 3rd session with Vaylin, I finally found the combination that did it.

I was playing a fully geared up Bounty Hunter Mercenary, level 70. I was specced as Innovative Ordinance (Damage) butI found out it didn’t matter what spec I was using because the way to defeat Vaylin is all defense, and no offense.

I am used to going toe-to-toe with mobs, just duking it out, stand and deliver type of thing. With Vaylin you have to do the opposite, you must keep evading her. It is useless to fire your weapons at her unless it makes you feel good. The main way to defeat her is to pull her into the Memories of Healing (green healing circles) 4 times.

So these were my tactics:

1) Turn the sound off. I found that Vaylin’s screaming and the general sound effects were affecting my judgement and it was better to not listen to all that racket.

2) Pull the camera focus up high and at a good distance so you can keep track of both Vaylin and the green healing circles.

3) After firing the initial salvo to start the fight, immediately start moving. Vaylin will jump to you, but move out of her reach and out of the reach of her Force Lightning. I went in circles around the whole arena, counter-clockwise. I did this so that I could avoid sudden turns that might put me in Vaylin’s path. So I kept circling, letting Vaylin follow me. If you see her channeling Force Overload, you’d better be far away. Decide while you are moving if you need to use a kolto heal if you have it, or a medpac. But the Memories of Healing are the best healers, moving through one of those is like having a healing companion.

4) Whenever you see a green circle, decide if you need it for your own healing. If not, pull Vaylin into it and she will lose 1/4 of her health. This can be tricky because you, Vaylin, and the green circle are all moving (the 3 body problem!) but it can be done with a little practice. After the 4th time you get Vaylin into a green circle, the fight will be over.

5) How to escape Vaylin’s massive damage-dealing: I assume that you are availing yourself of all the medpacs and Kolto abilities available to your class. But Vaylin’s force damage is powerful, especially her Force Slam, which pounds you up and down and you can’t interrupt it. After enduring Force Slam, you are so weakened she can usually kill you immediately afterwards.

After bemoaning the fact that I couldn’t interrupt Force Slam, I finally found another ability that would immediately terminate Force Slam: Determination. The description of Determination is "Removes all incapacitating and movement-impairing effects.” I mapped this ability to a key combination that I could get to without looking. I was amazed the first time I used it at how I could walk away from Force Slam.

Determination has a long cool down, but I also discovered I could use “Rocket Out” to escape from Vaylin’s other Force weapons. It would immediately jump me away from Vaylin and I could continue circling while I healed.

I believe all classes have some version of Determination to break stuns. The reason I didn’t use it at first was that I was looking for an interrupt ability and overlooked this one.

So, as I have said, this fight is all about defense. Circling the arena like a boxer, staying away from her ranged effects, drawing the opponent after you, making her blunder into the green circles, escaping her clutches when she pulls you to her.

The succeeding fight with Valkorian is easy by comparison, just very tedious.

For me it was more difficult with my scroundrel (healer) and no companion than my sorcerer as my sorcerer could actually stand toe to toe with her and rain down lightening until I need to move when the red circle came up so I wasn't knocked back. For my sorcerer it was a lot simpler than my scroundrel as my scroundrel had to keep moving around and of course it was the first time I did it and was still learning the fight.

My sorcerer I knew what the fight was about and stayed next to her and it went a lot easier.

Same. LS healing scoundrel here. I did not have much trouble with keeping myself up, but it had been very frustrating and confusing. Where am I supposed to get the melee damage? How am I even supposed to realize that this time I need to actually stand inside the purple ugly ****? How would I know that healing memories damage her?

I ended up kiting her around the stairs through the green circles with my hots on, keeping my shield and roll CDs for breaking out of her range, throwing grenades and shooting during her 'red circle' phase. Most of the damage came from the greens. Extremely unnoying fight, which had been obviously designed for the glowstick users.

Congratz, BW! You had actually managed to make a bossfight WORSE than the infamous Arishok Duel (Dragon Age 2).

which had been obviously designed for the glowstick users.

Easy on a Merc, Slinger and Vanguard.

I think much of the problem is that people really do keep attacking from just outside her purple puddle and when they kill themselves they say "it's too hard!" rather than "my game is bugged and won't display puddle!"

Just assume that puddle is 3m from Vaylin, when you have her targeted it displays your distance to target. If you can't see the puddle, you can just use the displayed distance and fight (on story mode) is a piece of cake.

Easy on a Merc, Slinger and Vanguard.

I think much of the problem is that people really do keep attacking from just outside her purple puddle and when they kill themselves they say "it's too hard!" rather than "my game is bugged and won't display puddle!"

People do see the puddle. It's just a bad and non-friendly combat design. Nothing indicates that you should be INSIDE it. 'Don't stand in ****' is a rule of thumb. Purple glowing debuff\AOE-looking area is the least attractive thing for any non-tanking character (especially true for the squishy ranged and\or healing classes).

I admit, that not hovering through all the tiny squares on her frame can be pinned on me, but I was merely dealing with th UI\design I had been given. Random trial & error is the only way to know that green healing circles damage her (because it's nothing like a part of the normal TOR mechanics, we don't have 'holy damages unholy' here, you know). I assume that DS-choice companion can possibly voice some hints, but LS player is left with literally nothing.

The fight is a boring kiting-fest for anyone who can't tank-n-spank her. Very non-intuitive.

<snip>

The fight is a boring kiting-fest for anyone who can't tank-n-spank her. Very non-intuitive.

If you have read the whole thread you will see that I originally had a lot of trouble with the fight before I beat it.

In my opinion the problem is you could use area effects through out the other 8 chapters of KotET while thinking of other things and not come close to dying. This fight you actually have to pay attention and people were not (are not) ready for it. This is similar to the last fight in KotFE where you had to pay attention during the Arkan fight in chapter 16 (but not during combat for the previous 15 chapters).

When you fight Vaylin on the Gravestone in the sanctuary room, she also uses this same purple circle mechanic. Since I'd gotten my butt kicked by a similar mechanic in the Eternal Championship, I knew to check her buff icons to see if this was a "good" or "bad" circle. I'm actually surprised more people aren't complaining about that fight. I lost a lot more health figuring it out the first time the circle showed up, and she moves around a lot more, so my gunslinger had a harder time of it than my knight did. (By the time my aimed shot charged up and fired off, she'd moved and I wasn't in the circle anymore, which cost me a huge chunk of my health in one hit!) By the time the second fight came with her, I already had a idea of what to do.

I didn't realize until reading it here that the green healing pools damaged her. Unless you are a tank and can taunt her, I wonder how hard it is to force her into these circles. Maybe if you stand in it the whole time it's there, she'll jump to you? It seems risky though, since you can't be attacking much without risking hurting yourself.

When you fight Vaylin on the Gravestone in the sanctuary room, she also uses this same purple circle mechanic. Since I'd gotten my butt kicked by a similar mechanic in the Eternal Championship, I knew to check her buff icons to see if this was a "good" or "bad" circle. I'm actually surprised more people aren't complaining about that fight. I lost a lot more health figuring it out the first time the circle showed up, and she moves around a lot more, so my gunslinger had a harder time of it than my knight did.

In the first fight you have Theron/Lana or Senya/Arcann so many players probably coasted a bit because of that.

In the second fight, many players didn't have the bastard Emperor's father, so they had to solo her.

I didn't realize until reading it here that the green healing pools damaged her. Unless you are a tank and can taunt her, I wonder how hard it is to force her into these circles. Maybe if you stand in it the whole time it's there, she'll jump to you? It seems risky though, since you can't be attacking much without risking hurting yourself.

Not that hard, once you realize how it works. It's kiting. You run around the stairs keeping the LOS, she follows. You see the pool nearby - you put it between the two of you. She gets damaged & stunned for a short time, so you can possibly add some damage. Rinse&repeat.

the problem is you could use area effects through out the other 8 chapters of KotET while thinking of other things and not come close to dying. This fight you actually have to pay attention and people were not (are not) ready for it.

I've been around since 1.0, but to me 'paying attention' normally means something other than hovering through the icons in the middle of the fight. There MUST be a reasonable indication of what happens during the combat + some kind of feedback. E.g. we had those comment messages during the Arcan fight (~'he had knocked your shield off'), and clear flashing icons on the 'special' tab ('shield is charged and off the CD').

Here we have nothing. No self-comment from the character, no comments form boss, no 'voices in our head', no warning messages or something. Stacks are easy to figure out, but the rest of it (damaging greens, inner circle mechanics) is trial-error and\or going for google.

<snip>

I've been around since 1.0, but to me 'paying attention' normally means something other than hovering through the icons in the middle of the fight. There MUST be a reasonable indication of what happens during the combat + some kind of feedback. E.g. we had those comment messages during the Arcan fight (~'he had knocked your shield off'), and clear flashing icons on the 'special' tab ('shield is charged and off the CD').

Here we have nothing. No self-comment from the character, no comments form boss, no 'voices in our head', no warning messages or something. Stacks are easy to figure out, but the rest of it (damaging greens, inner circle mechanics) is trial-error and\or going for google.

For me paying attention is looking at everything - when you try to damage her outside of her circle the damage number is a different color and my hits went down. The green circles moved and were called memories of healing so I figured that they would heal me. I admit it was a surprise when I discovered inadvertently that they damaged her.

After my first or second death I looked at her buff icons, etc.

Prior to this fight I just didn't pay that much attention to the combat. Sweeping gunfire a couple of times while my tank companion killed everything. I did die a couple of times to sloppiness (pulling too many groups - that sort of thing). The Vaylin fight was tough and frustrating, but there was a corresponding satisfaction when I did beat her. I wish more boss fights were interesting, but maybe not too interesting :)

This is a horrible, horrible fight.

Valkorion's father gets thrown off an edge very, very early on by the most OP attack I've ever seen in a game, usually even before Arcann dies (how was he Emperor for so long? Vaylin's about a dozen times more powerful!)

Fights that are this hard just make me likely to bin my subscription again.

This is a horrible, horrible fight.

Valkorion's father gets thrown off an edge very, very early on by the most OP attack I've ever seen in a game, usually even before Arcann dies (how was he Emperor for so long? Vaylin's about a dozen times more powerful!)

Fights that are this hard just make me likely to bin my subscription again.

Don't worry, there is only 1 fight per expansion that is this hard. Remember that this is all happening in your head - an argument could be made that you are simply putting a Vaylin skin on your fight with Valkorian - especially with your comment "my head, my rules" later,

Epic FAIL Bioware. Massive disadvantage if you chose LS prior to this fight (No Companion thus not even Heroic Moment) PLUS, this crap is supposed to be happening inside our mind.. why the hell are there ANY repair costs?

Nobody at BW reads these forums but way to ruin a great Story with a half-arsed, poorly planned ending.

Well, I read all the tips and hints here and attempted to apply them to this boss fight, but I just can't get this damn thing down! I figured, with my Jedi Knight, I could just have her run into the green orbs which does knock off quite a bit of health, but the most I can get her to do that is maybe two times and then she force slams me to bits. I think if I was able to see her moving about the game arena better, it wouldn't be so bad. But the best resolution I can get this game in is 1920x1080 (yeah laugh, I got an old PC) and I simply have a hard time tracking her. Anybody got any kind of tip for me so that I can finally advance? Yep, I've been playing this game a while now but a lot of things are still sorta unclear to me.

Help me guys! I'm dying here! Constantly! It hurts!

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree! Nothing I did in this entire chapter prepared me for this fight, and my equipment is not up to par to do ANY damage at all!

It's almost like Bioware had a completely different person working on this part of the game separately from everyone else! How is a smuggler that doesn't play PVP even supposed to win at thid fight? All of my strategy is planned around sitting behind my shield and doing damage from a distance. It's like this whole scenario was designed for melee fighters and PVP players.

I AM READY TO CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION over this, and SWTOR is one of my favourite games!

Bioware should be embarrased how they threw this in at the end of a fairly easy set of scenarios leading up to it. And, no easy way to get a companion in what is turning out to be a single player experience unless you are a PVP'er.

Unless I can get someone to come in this instance to help me. I will be stuck here forever.

Shame on Bioware!

Well, I read all the tips and hints here and attempted to apply them to this boss fight, but I just can't get this damn thing down! I figured, with my Jedi Knight, I could just have her run into the green orbs which does knock off quite a bit of health, but the most I can get her to do that is maybe two times and then she force slams me to bits. I think if I was able to see her moving about the game arena better, it wouldn't be so bad. But the best resolution I can get this game in is 1920x1080 (yeah laugh, I got an old PC) and I simply have a hard time tracking her. Anybody got any kind of tip for me so that I can finally advance? Yep, I've been playing this game a while now but a lot of things are still sorta unclear to me.

Help me guys! I'm dying here! Constantly! It hurts!