[GUIDE] Reverse Engineering Rules

psandak

I've seen roughly a dozen posts in the last week in various threads regarding the inability to RE item modifications for schematics.

So the rules (as I know them) are as follows:

You get an item from a command crate ...the item modifications within (be they from main or alt so long as you can drop them into BOL to transfer them) or the item itself (no way to transfer) MUST BE PURPLE to get the schematic. PERIOD! end of discussion.

• If it is blue or green you will get a "no research available" in the tooltip.
  • If you RE one of these items you will get the schematic for that item i.e. RE a versatile armoring 46 AKA rating 230 purple and you will get the schematic for the rating 230 purple
  • (NOTE: REing a set bonus armoring WILL NOT generate an armoring schematic with a set bonus; the craftable armoring will be generic)
  • left side pieces (Relics, Implants, and Ear Pieces) from command crates appear to be unable to RE for schematics regardless of color. NO IDEA why this is, might be a bug.

Schematics learned through the trainers create blue quality items.

• These are the ONLY blue quality items that can be REed for a purple schematic.
  • If you RE one of these items you will get the schematic for an improved version of that item i.e. craft a grade 45 rating 220 blue versatile armoring and you will get a grade 45 rating 228 purple versatile armoring.

The difference between trained and command crate? Craft something you got from the trainer and you only have a 60% RE chance. RE something from a command crate item and you have a 100% chance.

You CANNOT RE for schematics an item purchased with credits or other "currency". Whether that is crafted by someone else or from an NPC vendor does not matter. i.e. if you purchase an item modification off the GTN in the hopes of REing it for the schematic it will not work; or you buy from Jeelvic the Jawa (or ANY NPC) it will not work.

Color crystals acquired from ops are no longer REable for schematics - this change happened in 4.x

Edited by psandak

hello. I am a returning player who last played sometime in the begining of the year. I know about all the eternal empire stuff but last I checked you could still re greens from a trainer to get blues and re those blues to get purple. Have they seriously raped the crafting system now too? if so where do i learn the blue schems bevcause I went to my trainer and they only had greens.

hello. I am a returning player who last played sometime in the begining of the year. I know about all the eternal empire stuff but last I checked you could still re greens from a trainer to get blues and re those blues to get purple. Have they seriously raped the crafting system now too? if so where do i learn the blue schems bevcause I went to my trainer and they only had greens.

They changed the Greens to Blues. You now RE Blues bought off the trainer to get purples.

The RE'ing the OP is talking about, are drops from Command Crates and Operations.

Damedius already responded but I wanted to respond to the highlighted statement...

IMO crafting is in a very good place right now. This is not really the place to go into detail so suffice it to say that the errors made in KOTFE have been corrected in KOTET: crafting to fill in gear gaps is currently quite important and the exotic materials to do so are reasonably easy to acquire.

Edited by psandak

[*]Relics from command crates appear to be unable to RE for schematics either regardless of color. ear pieces and implants appear to be REable for schematics. NO IDEA why this is, might be a bug.

Rating 230 purple earpieces and implants dropped from command crates (Eternal Commander MK-3) are not REable.

• 2 weeks later...
Rating 230 purple earpieces and implants dropped from command crates (Eternal Commander MK-3) are not REable.

Sadly neighter are 230 relics. any idea why bw stated it as it is? That we can't RE actually good items and are able to craft only worse versions of item?

Sadly neighter are 230 relics. any idea why bw stated it as it is? That we can't RE actually good items and are able to craft only worse versions of item?

You can still get the schematics for "left side" equipment from command crates.

I have gotten an implant, three ear pieces, and three relics. Granted those are "use relics" but they still have three stats like old ops drops, and the effect lasts a LOT longer than they used to (used to be like 12 seconds now its 30). The one problem with use relics is that they cannot be used in PvP :(.

Not saying it is a perfect replacement, but it is not as bad as you may think.

You can still get the schematics for "left side" equipment from command crates.

I have gotten an implant, three ear pieces, and three relics. Granted those are "use relics" but they still have three stats like old ops drops, and the effect lasts a LOT longer than they used to (used to be like 12 seconds now its 30). The one problem with use relics is that they cannot be used in PvP :(.

Not saying it is a perfect replacement, but it is not as bad as you may think.

I know i can get it, but implants, earpieces and relics crafted with those are actually worse than "tokens". And that's my qeustion. Why we can only craft worse versions of specific item, like mk-4 instead of mk-3 and we can't RE mk-3 like it was previously on 4.0, when we could get schematic from 220 token gear.

I know i can get it, but implants, earpieces and relics crafted with those are actually worse than "tokens". And that's my qeustion. Why we can only craft worse versions of specific item, like mk-4 instead of mk-3 and we can't RE mk-3 like it was previously on 4.0, when we could get schematic from 220 token gear.

as a point of fact, based on TORCommunity.com database:

MK4 implants (DPS/heals) are actually worse than MK-3 by a grand total of 12 total stat points, and the distribution is:

MK4 = 422e/210p/181-3rdstat/391m (1204 total stats)

vs

MK3 = 410e/264p/181-3rdstat/361m (1216 total)

Legit question: how much DPS/HPS does that difference translate to?

Edited by psandak

MK4 implants (DPS/heals) are actually worse than MK-3 by a grand total of 12 total stat points, and the distribution is:

vs

endurance don't affect anything. and power/mast is dependant on your actual stat balance. but i intend to take power over mastery, as mastery is literally everywhere, and on for example 2 implants and earpiece you lose like 150 power, which is a difference when it comes to dps.

vs

54 more power and 30 less mastery on the MK3 vs MK4 ideally means 24 more stat points into actual DPS/HPS stats.

The difference between DPS/HPS for power vs mastery is pretty negligible. Power does give better bonus damage ever so slightly but mastery gives a small bonus to crit chance.

In short for people concerned between mastery and power - don't worry about it, there is no situation in the game it's going to make a noticeable difference. Take whichever item gives you the higher combination of the two.

How do you get the gear with purple mods to RE? I get that its in the command crates but which tier? Every 230 mod I get is always blue in command crate gear but none of my toons are outside of tier one..

It comes in each tier but you've just been unlucky with the stupid command crate rng system in getting purple drops. They are pretty stupidly rare.

It comes in each tier but you've just been unlucky with the stupid command crate rng system in getting purple drops. They are pretty stupidly rare.

Of course... Well then again if they weren't rare I guess the crafted 230 enhancements wouldnt be so damn expensive on GTN xD and I probably wouldnt be asking then lol

Of course... Well then again if they weren't rare I guess the crafted 230 enhancements wouldnt be so damn expensive on GTN xD and I probably wouldnt be asking then lol

I think it's more a material requirement than the rarity of the schematics, that and a lot less players these days = higher prices for the most part.

You would think less player also = less demand and thus prices would be stable but it is what it is.

I think it's more a material requirement than the rarity of the schematics, that and a lot less players these days = higher prices for the most part.

You would think less player also = less demand and thus prices would be stable but it is what it is.

Turned out my smuggler had 230 purples in his chest piece I must have got them at some point so I quickly levelled his cybertech to 600 and got to work :D

Turned out my smuggler had 230 purples in his chest piece I must have got them at some point so I quickly levelled his cybertech to 600 and got to work :D

I wish artifice still used enhancements I would probably still muck about with it more if it did.

I've seen roughly a dozen posts in the last week in various threads regarding the inability to RE item modifications for schematics.

So the rules (as I know them) are as follows:

<Snip>

Thank you so much for this information!

I finally made it to command rank 91 and I'm starting to get 234 purples. Just to double check before I do something I might regret. If I rip the mods out, I'll be able to RE them, right?

So long as they are purple you are good.

I wish artifice still used enhancements I would probably still muck about with it more if it did.

Imagine how annoyed I was when I realised enhancements needed cybertech when the only crew skill I did have levelled was Artifice xD Good to have 2 done now tho. Artifice makes good money crafting 228 Relics. Even if I buy all the mats I need I make a solid 50k profit per relic. With gathering all the mats which I can easily do with 600 Arc. and Treasure Hunting I can make around 80-110k on them :D Mostly running black talon veteran atm tho to get Istotopes for 230 enhancements to sell xD almost 500k per one is ridiculous haha especially since I'll get a crit now and again and end up with 2 for 1 :D I'll be rich as hell in no time haha