Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Armor value and rating on orange gear?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Armor value and rating on orange gear?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ripster
12.29.2011 , 10:41 AM | #11
The armor rating is quick comparison for armor of the same type (light, medium and heavy) and slot. In the case of the boots, I would expect the pair with the lower armor value but higher armor rating to be light armor and the other pair is heavy armor.

VanorDM
12.29.2011 , 10:57 AM | #12
Looked them up on TORHead and if I'm looking at the right set, and I'm pretty sure I am. You're comparing a pair of Light armor boots to a pair of Heavy armor boots.

sockmaster
12.29.2011 , 11:23 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by metaIsaber View Post
Trying to figure out how this works as well. My dilemma which I posted in the newbie forums as well. I have the following boots. Can anyone explain why the orange boots which have a rating of 80 only has 125 armor vs the lvl 66 which has a armor rating of 253?

req lvl 31
Death Bringer Boots (Orange)
125 armor rating 80
36 str
35 end
+5 critical

lvl 29
Rigig Flex Boots [Exceptional] (Green)
253 Armor Rating 66
45 str
27 end
15 citical

I just looked those up, why are you comparing Light armor to Heavy armor? As people have said above the armor rating means different amounts of armor to light, medium, and heavy. Assuming you're a juggernaut from the fact you're looking at heavy strength based armor you should never be wearing light, or medium for that matter.

armor rating is not a definitive number for each piece of gear it's in, it will change based on what type of item you put it in (chest, legs, feet) and what the weight of the armor is (light, medium, heavy).

In short don't expect to put the same armoring mod in a pair of light boots and a heavy chest and expect them to even be close

Edit: Sorry Vanor, missed your post. Had this window open a while

GeorgZoeller
12.29.2011 , 11:34 AM | #14 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by nezroy View Post
Can anyone confirm how orange gear gets its armor value?

From what I can tell it appears to be derived not just from the armor rating but also from the intrinsic armor "class" of the gear. For instance, since the Elegant Dress is a "light" armor class (requires light armor proficiency to use), it seems that for any given armor rating you mod it to, the armor value is the same as what you would see on a light armor chest piece of equal rating. This is substantially less than the armor you see at the same rating on a medium or heavy piece.

I just want to make sure this is accurate, since it seems to unfortunately limit the custom armor options for a heavy armor using class -- no tanking in an Elegant Dress for me I guess
Orange Armor gets it's armor value from the 'armoring' mod you slot in. If you exchange it for something better, the armor value increases along with the stats.

It's always the first mod in the list that determines the intrinsic properties of the orange items (e.g. armoring on armor, barrel on guns, etc.)

Hope that helps.

JoshuaRaven
12.29.2011 , 04:08 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Orange Armor gets it's armor value from the 'armoring' mod you slot in. If you exchange it for something better, the armor value increases along with the stats.

It's always the first mod in the list that determines the intrinsic properties of the orange items (e.g. armoring on armor, barrel on guns, etc.)

Hope that helps.

I think the OP got that mechanic, what he/she is referring to is that light armor with an AR of 50 has lower Armor than heavy armor with the same AR. The question was if this applies to Orange gear as well, as in, light orange gear with an armor mod with AR 50 has lower armor than a heavy orange amor with the same mod applied to it, which I believe is the case.

VanorDM
12.29.2011 , 04:12 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by sockmaster View Post
Edit: Sorry Vanor, missed your post. Had this window open a while
No harm done. Besides it's always good to have confirmation, since I couldn't actually find exactly what the poster said they had.

There are no Rigig Flex boots, but there are Rigid flex boots.

Bibdy
12.29.2011 , 04:13 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by nezroy View Post
Can anyone confirm how orange gear gets its armor value?

From what I can tell it appears to be derived not just from the armor rating but also from the intrinsic armor "class" of the gear. For instance, since the Elegant Dress is a "light" armor class (requires light armor proficiency to use), it seems that for any given armor rating you mod it to, the armor value is the same as what you would see on a light armor chest piece of equal rating. This is substantially less than the armor you see at the same rating on a medium or heavy piece.

I just want to make sure this is accurate, since it seems to unfortunately limit the custom armor options for a heavy armor using class -- no tanking in an Elegant Dress for me I guess
Yes, it's intentional. Light armour is meant to have a lower armour value, even with the same armour mod 'rank'. Classes like the Shadow can tank by making up for that difference with Combat Technique and talents which increase their armour value beyond the base level their gear gives them.

shinacarana
12.29.2011 , 06:29 PM | #18
My question more is how does the armor rating of the piece you're trying to mod determine the over all armor of that piece? For example:

I have Force Evangelist's Shroud, with an armor rating of 80. How is then the armor determined to be 257? And when I add something with, say, the armor rating of 85, does the new armor value become calculated?
Squadron 367

Jurisnoctis
12.29.2011 , 06:36 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by shinacarana View Post
My question more is how does the armor rating of the piece you're trying to mod determine the over all armor of that piece? For example:

I have Force Evangelist's Shroud, with an armor rating of 80. How is then the armor determined to be 257? And when I add something with, say, the armor rating of 85, does the new armor value become calculated?
A Light Armor chestpiece with a rating of X, has more armor than a Light Armor Chestpiece with an armor rating of X-1.

Oragne, Blue, Epic, Green, whatever it is.

http://www.torhead.com/item/43jqBVm
vs
http://www.torhead.com/item/5GhvyxS

Different levels, same rating, different rarity, same armor.

AS LONG AS IT'S THE SAME ARMOR TYPE.

No, you will not be able to tank well in your slave girl set as a Juggernaught. Because it's going give you CRAP armor. Because it's light. Regardless of the mods you give it.

Does this answer every question?

Bibdy
12.29.2011 , 06:43 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by shinacarana View Post

It depends on the rating level of that mod. It's probably some simple math, but as the poster above says, the higher that rating number, the higher the armour value will be. So, if you get a mod that has a lower rating than the one already in your armour, don't replace it!