Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Exploits and Galactic Command

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Exploits and Galactic Command
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

curulz
11.28.2016 , 05:15 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Alssaran View Post
Of course it's the intended use. You can reset an instance if you've killed all the bosses and obtained their loot. This has always been the case since "ancient times". Before the dark times of 3.0. You're not circumventing any mechanic at all. You're not using a system in an unintended way. You reset the FP as soon as all the bosses are down. That's the intended effect.
We might not be talking about the same reset. Complete speculation, but for example, lets say we find out that running 8 people thru 16 man NiM EC and kill the trash up to the first boss. We get 2-3 ranks from it in about 30 minutes and then reset to kill them all again.

Is that their intention? or are we crossing their ill-defined line?

TomBane
11.28.2016 , 05:21 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

I am seeing a few questions in the thread about "what constitutes an exploit" and things along those lines. First, you don't need to have concerns about simply playing the game. Earning a lot of CXP is in no way an exploit. Play and earn CXP as much as you want, you won't be punished for that.

As for the question of what is an exploit, it is really quite simple. Play the game/content as it was intended and there is no risk. If you are playing through content in a way that was not intended, it can be considered an exploit and subject to investigation/action.

The reason that we put out this messaging is that we know players are going to want to push the boundaries to gain CXP as fast as possible, and we are totally ok with that. I just wanted to caution how you go about those gains and should you find a way to gain CXP that goes around intended mechanics, it could be an exploit. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is, report it to us so we can see if there is an issue.

-eric

So, let me get this straight... (And if I am right about this, I'll be the first to say I have exploited the game. [Please let me be wrong.])

If I level a new alt and completely skip the story via side quests (for the first 10 levels.) and then via Flash points and War Zones so I can get to kotfe (or raiding or what ever end-game content.)... Would that not be playing the game a way that is not intended? Honest question because to me is sounds like you definition is not 100% correct.

Nightblazer
11.28.2016 , 05:47 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TomBane View Post
So, let me get this straight... (And if I am right about this, I'll be the first to say I have exploited the game. [Please let me be wrong.])

If I level a new alt and completely skip the story via side quests (for the first 10 levels.) and then via Flash points and War Zones so I can get to kotfe (or raiding or what ever end-game content.)... Would that not be playing the game a way that is not intended? Honest question because to me is sounds like you definition is not 100% correct.
Wouldn't that be the same as just getting a character token and skipping everything? I do that where I level to max then just start KotFE. It's an allowed mechanic because it says once you start KotFE you can't go back.
“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Get 7 days free game time plus several unlocks by clicking here

Kallie
11.28.2016 , 05:47 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by TomBane View Post

You really asked a stupid question. And the simple answer that any intelligent person would know is - no that is not an exploit.

Alssaran
11.28.2016 , 05:48 PM | #25
Quote:
We might not be talking about the same reset. Complete speculation, but for example, lets say we find out that running 8 people thru 16 man NiM EC and kill the trash up to the first boss. We get 2-3 ranks from it in about 30 minutes and then reset to kill them all again.
The mechanic is working as intended. You are killing mobs on the highest difficulty level for the appropriate reward in GCXP. Bioware said that the amount of GCXP you get is higher in NiM and HM difficulty than in SM difficulty. The more difficult a content part is, the more GCXP you get. Bioware stated that their intention is to give one crate every thirty minutes on average during the first few levels. And you're using the reset mechanic to reset the operation. You're not using a bug in the system. The mobs are dropping a slight amount of XP, the reset properly resets the operation (as it was intended to do), and you kill the mobs in a reasonable fight. No obvious bugs there. The system is safe.

Seeing that you are running the most difficult content there is (and not the intended SM content to start with), two levels in that timeframe are reasonable for the lower levels of GC.

The basic question to ask is whether a mechanic is being used the way it is intended to be used. If all the mechanics are working as intended, and you're not sneaking around any necessary systems, it's a valid form of farming GCXP. If you'd find a mob that instantly gives an entire level up and is a one-hit enemy, I'd suggest stopping that activity. A three second mob kill for an entire level is definitely not an intended mechanic.

Whether you're making 1.6 or 1.8 levels per half an hour is a scaling issue between content difficulties and boss balancing. However, if you suddenly start making ten levels per thirty minutes? That's probably not intended at all.

It's applying common sense to GC. If every boss or trash mob in the game drops 10 GCXP by default, and you find a simple bandit on Tatooine that drops a thousand GCXP for a two second fight on a thirty second spawn timer? That's definitely not intended at all. Not if the average level takes a thousand GCXP during the first 100 levels.

Quote:
Would that not be playing the game a way that is not intended? Honest question because to me is sounds like you definition is not 100% correct.
No. It's entirely your decision what kinds of content you use in what timeframe to level up to max level. Bioware is recommending you to use story because it's their strong point. If you feel as if leveling up via space combat alone is your thing, you can just do that. It's the same with experience gain in WoW. Blizzard recommends questing and dungeons for the best XP curve. Then there's DoubleAgent. Someone who gathers herbs and goes to 110 without ever killing a mob. He never exploited a mechanic. He choose the playstyle he likes best and used that.

I get the feeling some people are are desperately trying to find a workout to this definition in order to "win" an argument here. Applying common sense to a mechanic isn't hard.

Rrusalka
11.28.2016 , 05:51 PM | #26
How about guilds that run lockouts for Conquest? It was fine before but if it rewards CXP now is it going to suddenly become an exploit?

Alssaran
11.28.2016 , 05:56 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Rrusalka View Post
How about guilds that run lockouts for Conquest? It was fine before but if it rewards CXP now is it going to suddenly become an exploit?
Are you kidding me?

Guys:

Play the game as you always have and you will be fine. If you have never been flagged for exploiting before when farming gear, cosmetic items and points, you won't be flagged now. If you find an acitivty that let's you gain fifty levels per hour (when the intention was one - two levels per thirty-fourty minutes), you write a bug report and let them check whether this is intended. And don't continue and max yourself out to 300 in barely a days work afterwards.

Literally every player across Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft and Black Desert Online has a sense for what an exploit is. They even prepare statements for when they might get banned for it. Only this forum seems to have a genuinely hard time to wrap their mind around the concept "if it's too good to be true, it probably is!"

Rrusalka
11.28.2016 , 06:09 PM | #28
Are you kidding me?

Guys:

Play the game as you always have and you will be fine. If you have never been flagged for exploiting before when farming gear, cosmetic items and points, you won't be flagged now. If you find an acitivty that let's you gain fifty levels per hour (when the intention was one - two levels per thirty-fourty minutes), you write a bug report and let them check whether this is intended. And don't continue and max yourself out to 300 in barely a days work afterwards.

Literally every player across Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft and Black Desert Online has a sense for what an exploit is. They even prepare statements for when they might get banned for it. Only this forum seems to have a genuinely hard time to wrap their mind around the concept "if it's too good to be true, it probably is!"
So they say but that ban hammer has a broad stroke and since it sounds like they already know of an exploit it is better to be safe then sorry.

AshlaBoga
11.28.2016 , 06:12 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by curulz View Post

Is that their intention? or are we crossing their ill-defined line?
They could change remove the Command XP you got from the trash, so if it's not their intention they should say so.

Or they could just increase the phase reset timer to an hour, either way if they don't take action prior to the use of an already existing method of farming (Brontes fingers anyone?) then they're not making the rules clear.

I know plenty of people who use Brontes to level from 55-65 in less than an hour. Since this is an already existing tactic, they should inform us before taking action - and if anyone ignored the launcher warning then it would be their fault.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Rolodome
11.28.2016 , 06:34 PM | #30
Wow, every player? You must know a lot of people.

Snark aside, it's largely just a matter of the small stuff, I think, that concerns people. If you've never been in, or heard of, one of those situations where people get away with an exploit freely, report it and it doesn't get fixed, and then down the line, all of a sudden, some person or guild becomes a scapegoat and the company bans them, while leaving everybody else alone, then you probably don't understand.

Some of us have seen companies be inconsistent in punishing exploits, and/or play the "it should have been obvious" game to those they punish, while failing to address an exploit for months.

Not saying that will happen here, but that is where I am coming from on this. And keep in mind I am not someone who goes around looking for exploits. My usual MO when I see an exploit is to report it ASAP and move on with my life.
Watch my crazy video ideas in SWTOR form.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.