Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

KOTET Livestream - 11/23

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jerba
11.23.2016 , 05:22 PM | #21
Thanks for the stream! You answered most of my concerns, that was much more than expected, good job!

I have one question left, what will happen to the Crystal of Nightmare Fury? Specifically what crafting materials are we going to need? The sooner you can get us the answer, the more time we have to prepare in farming materials. You promised to get me the answer to that but I (and most other nightmare guilds) are still waiting on that.

Also, here is my feedback which I hope you can bring up with the team:
  • A CXP boost is not just another XP boost and it is borderline pay-to-win, if not already pay-to-win depending on the definition. You can find the arguments in our 30-page thread but the summary is: The normal XP boosts are not an issue because leveling up is so fast and you don't get power from leveling; you only get power once you have reached endgame. And for endgame players, the leveling process is only like 1% of a character's lifetime.
    But CXP boosts are an issue. Let's say two players have 20 hours each week to play the game, one uses the CXP boost and one doesn't. Then the first player will get 24 packs and the other player only 20 packs. (going by the 1 pack/hour rate) In other words, buying the CXP boost gave this player four additional gear pieces. If you consider the weekly playtime to be constant (which is true for most endgame players with a RL work schedule), then a CXP boost is in every way equivalent to selling Command Crates on the Cartel Market, which you stated you do not want to do.
    So please reconsider and remove the CXP boosts. The Cartel Market can survive without them, but they are a major issue to endgame raiders. If you want to focus on group content in 2017, please start taking group players into account when making decisions like these.
    An alternative would be to put a BoP version of the CXP boosts onto a vendor that is sold for credits (e.g. for 50k-100k per hour), or have them drop from the hardest operations bosses. That would maybe alleviate our concerns and give us a way to get the CXP boosts outside of the Cartel Market. But the best solution would be to totally get rid of the CXP boosts because then we don't even start to get down the slippery slope towards pay-to-win.
    When you first put the Tactical Markers on the Cartel Market, there was an outcry and you quickly converted them into a legacy unlock within 1-2 weeks. I appreciated that very much, and it makes me hopeful that you will realize that CXP boosts are also too close to pay-to-win and remove them, if not with 5.0 launch, then shortly afterwards.
  • Thanks for addressing the repair costs question. I know there must be a credit sink but quadruple repair costs are a problem because it makes PvE endgame more hostile. PvP players have no repair costs and story/solo players rarely die; this is a tax only on PvE group players. Say a PuG group wipes a few times; why should I stay on the group and farm repair costs when I can just drop out or kick the bad players and kill the boss without wipes?
    Also, there are progression teams that will have 1 million credit repair bills per evening per player. Most raiders don't have the time to farm credits outside of raiding, so they'll be forced to skip some raid evenings. The repair costs should be reduced to at most double the current values. This is not urgent because it will take 2-3 months until players have the legendary gear, but at that point please make sure the costs have been reduced.
  • A catch-up mechanic for alts is a good idea! The way Ben explained it (once you reach rank 300 on your main, you get a CXP bonus for alts) is a great idea IMO. Or you could make the CXP Packs BtL so that we can just send those to whatever alt we want. I don't think there will be a big problem when players can get around the weekly boss lockouts. It still takes a long time to organize and run through an operation, so whether you farm EV or a more difficult operation you can only do it so many times per week.
    Eventually, you may also have to consider a catch-up mechanic for casual players. Like if half a year from now, some players are still stuck below rank 30, you could e.g. add a 5x bonus to all CXP points until those players have reached rank 30. But it is too early to tell right now.
Scoundrel healer. Raid leader. Guild officer @ Tulak Hord

MacroLass
11.23.2016 , 05:30 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerba View Post
A catch-up mechanic for alts is a good idea! The way Ben explained it (once you reach rank 300 on your main, you get a CXP bonus for alts) is a great idea IMO. Or you could make the CXP Packs BtL so that we can just send those to whatever alt we want. I don't think there will be a big problem when players can get around the weekly boss lockouts. It still takes a long time to organize and run through an operation, so whether you farm EV or a more difficult operation you can only do it so many times per week.
Eventually, you may also have to consider a catch-up mechanic for casual players. Like if half a year from now, some players are still stuck below rank 30, you could e.g. add a 5x bonus to all CXP points until those players have reached rank 30. But it is too early to tell right now.
IMO making Command XP Levels legacy wide would be the only reasonable way to keep those of us who play alts up to date. Don't make us reinvent the wheel, it's bad enough that we'll have to pump them up to 70.

Kiesu
11.23.2016 , 05:41 PM | #23
So, about having to choose advanced class at lv 1...
What will happen to my AV-classless characters at max level after this update? I would very much like to keep them as is.
Refer!
What made Origin stories superior to KotFE/ET? All 8 story characters could co-exist.
Level and world designer, comic artist, general RP nerd and occasional snark novelist. Arts
Oldie from Legions of Lettow to Tomb of Freedon Nadd, to Red Eclipse to Darth Malgus.

EricMusco
11.23.2016 , 05:43 PM | #24 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I have one question left, what will happen to the Crystal of Nightmare Fury? Specifically what crafting materials are we going to need? The sooner you can get us the answer, the more time we have to prepare in farming materials. You promised to get me the answer to that but I (and most other nightmare guilds) are still waiting on that.
The crafting of the Crystal of Nightmare Fury is unchanged! You can get the Tier 1 Exotic material from the Jawa Scrap Vendors.

Also, to answer a question from the stream. Alliance Supply Crates will still come from Heroic Missions as they do now.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Jerba
11.23.2016 , 05:46 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
The crafting of the Crystal of Nightmare Fury is unchanged! You can get the Tier 1 Exotic material from the Jawa Scrap Vendors.

Also, to answer a question from the stream. Alliance Supply Crates will still come from Heroic Missions as they do now.

-eric
Ah okay, thanks for the response!

Dormei
11.23.2016 , 05:49 PM | #26
What's happening with conquest rewards + achievements on patch day ? Will they be granted after maintenance ?

DanNV
11.23.2016 , 05:59 PM | #27
I am glad you decided to talk about the RNG armoring, but I don't buy it. Sorry. You're looking at 300-450 hours of play time to get to top rank. That's a ridiculous amount of time and a stupid level to try to get to in order to get upper end endgame gear, and still have ti be RNG based. The rest of the expansion doens't look bad, but the entire command xp system and the RNG gear looks like a total cluster. I don't get why you don't get that and why you ignore all the the negative feedback you've already gotten, not to mention that you have tried RNG before and it failed terribly. Why do it again? I would have thought you would have learned after having no new endgame and now having to promise more of it in order to jsut keep people in the game. (If you don't remember, you had almost no endgame at launch and lost huge numbers of subs as soon as thy got to endgame and figured out you didn't have much.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS

sturge
11.23.2016 , 06:09 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Deaconik View Post
Eric, I can give you an advice that would make your life easier. There's a magical thing called Calendar. If you ask nicely some close person you may find it under a Christmas tree and I would recommend the weekly version. It's a magical item that gives you + 30 to day awareness, + 12 to month awareness and + 365 to year awareness All you have to do is to place it on some nice place you can see and turn a page every Monday.

Couldn't resist, man
Good idea lol
M. Sturge

Jerba
11.23.2016 , 06:11 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by DanNV View Post
I am glad you decided to talk about the RNG armoring, but I don't buy it. Sorry. You're looking at 300-450 hours of play time to get to top rank. That's a ridiculous amount of time and a stupid level to try to get to in order to get upper end endgame gear, and still have ti be RNG based. The rest of the expansion doens't look bad, but the entire command xp system and the RNG gear looks like a total cluster. I don't get why you don't get that and why you ignore all the the negative feedback you've already gotten, not to mention that you have tried RNG before and it failed terribly. Why do it again? I would have thought you would have learned after having no new endgame and now having to promise more of it in order to jsut keep people in the game. (If you don't remember, you had almost no endgame at launch and lost huge numbers of subs as soon as thy got to endgame and figured out you didn't have much.
If we take for a given that the devs don't have the resources to produce new endgame content, then a long gear grind is the best solution out of all solutions in my opinion. Low RNG is certainly not a good solution but it is better than giving everyone max gear after a few weeks. That will only cause players to get bored and quit the game faster.

The one concern I will accept is that this system is bad for PvP. Depending on how effective the bolster is, we will see how far gear matters. For PvE, I think it is fine provided that by early January, progression groups will have enough gear to once again run HM/NiM, and then spend the remaining months min-/maxing the remaining gear. Seriously, if you really are so unlucky that you will not get the last armoring but all the other pieces are BiS, you will be fine. Keep in mind that setbonuses are the same as in 224 gear, that you'll drown in mods and enhancements, and that left-side pieces and augments can be crafted. Then, the one or two low rating armorings make up only a small part of the stats.

Whether the grind is RNG or not, it comes down to the fact that for 5.0, gear acquisition will take longer than during 4.0, but it's on a similar level as during previous expansions. It is normal that players are disappointed when something is nerfed and will complain about it, but if there is a valid reason for the nerf, I can support the nerf. And as the devs explained, there is a good reason for it, it's better for the health of the game. Once we get new group content in 2017, I'm sure the remaining players will stop complaining about RNG.

MeNaCe-NZ
11.23.2016 , 06:15 PM | #30
. For PvE, I think it is fine provided that by early January, progression groups will have enough gear to once again run HM/NiM, and then spend the remaining months min-/maxing the remaining gear.
You think it's fine or have decided since it's not changing it's as fine as it is going to get because you wouldn't leave this game either way?

It's most definitely not fine. If I weren't unsubbing myself after doing story ( well already have unsubbed but it expires then ) I would have far less players in my guild to raid with as many are leaving also and likewise based on feedback shown far less to pug with than now.

Even if I personally thought it was the greatest thing for raiding ever ( I would have to be committed of course if I truly thought that ) if becomes a massive hindrance to my play solely by the volume of people it is removing for me to play the game with.

There is nothing fine about this what so ever for anyone. Even casuals could have gotten better gear quicker but by spending crystals previously.

Quote:
Whether the grind is RNG or not, it comes down to the fact that for 5.0, gear acquisition will take longer than during 4.0, but it's on a similar level as during previous expansions. It is normal that players are disappointed when something is nerfed and will complain about it, but if there is a valid reason for the nerf, I can support the nerf. And as the devs explained, there is a good reason for it, it's better for the health of the game. Once we get new group content in 2017, I'm sure the remaining players will stop complaining about RNG.
Oops didn't read that part at first. Seems you've been drinking the Kool-Aid since you aren't at all justifying how it's better for the health of the game or even close to being in line with pre 4.0