Warzone Commendation Grants in 4.7.3

EricMusco

After tomorrow, they will bind to the character that removes them. I am not sure at this moment what will happen to them with 5.0, but I will get you that answer.

-eric

This seems an unwise move. I can see removing the item from the vendor. But to bind an item whose sole purpose was to be used for legacy transfer just makes no sense. :rak_02::rak_02::rak_02:

Not to mention a single days notice is a bit light on the reaction time there guys

Edited by DarthBatemanJ

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god, ya, this will be horrible. Also, what are we going to do with credits? Buy cosmetic items, gifts and green consumables? Yay? I guess I will just go on a shopping spree, log in all my characters tonight to transfer my wz comms.

That's my plan. Consolidate coms then buy all the decos I can and pick who's going to be my pvp toon for the next month since it will be counterproductive to pvp on more than one.

This is the plan currently... All of the purely cosmetic items you can buy for PvP Commendations will still be in the game but purchasable for the prior Ranked Season tokens. We chose to do this over credits so that these cosmetic items would remain for PvPers. The Warzone consumables will now be purchasable for credits. The PvP tier gear and their vendors will be removed from the game with 5.0.

Hope that answers your question!

-eric

Please rethink this. This is not a good idea. Like others have said, tie it to valor instead please.

Are the development team actively looking to drive players away. I get it, there have been concerns with the hero engine since it was first released and now 5 years in the support from EA may not be there with many empty servers. So rather than limp along slowly getting worse you can go out on a high with the release of 9 new chapters, defeat Valkorian and then pull the plug the saga is complete (if we ever find out how Valkorian and the Sith Emperor are the same person).

If the idea is to tank the game and kill it off suddenly a lot of things make sense.

Take everyone's companions away and then introduce some new unmodifiable companions who seem to have very very little personality and even less interaction with the player despite being forced on them. There are people that don't know if they are romancing Lana or its bugged and you would be right to wonder.

No new operations or group content for years to encourage the raiding community to go elsewhere.

Very little improvement made to PvP, while GSF is totally ignored (along with most other aspects of the game and class balance).

16 Chapters of Kotfe, most of which turned out to be filler chapters with almost nothing happening in them, with a dull plot and inconsistent writing full of plot holes. Coupled with KotET which is 9 chapters and seems to wrap up the entire story arc. 16 Chapters mostly filler, 9 chapters everything resolved, surely it could have been a well spaced 25 chapters with meaningful story told throughout? Instead it feels like the 9 chapters had to be rushed out as there wont be any more and utter confusion why 16 chapters were wasted like that.

4.0 bringing the relevelling and rehashing of old content, needed to be reground through for end game gear and offering heroics as new content (with crystal rewards). Along with the Eternal Championship which appears to have tanked and been forgotten. The DvL List, rehashing old content for CM packs. Then 5.0 removal of crystals (the main reward of heroics for the last year) because gearing in end game was to complicated, the removal of War Zone Coms and the rehashing of old content into Galactic Command points for random loot boxes which preferred and f2P aren't welcome in and can't be part of.

Who do the development team think this is appealing to? Do they honestly think credits which are pretty worthless in anything short of millions are going to make vets happy with these changes? Do the development team even play this game or do they have nothing but contempt for people that do? Cause it doesn't seem that any of the decisions made make any sense or are designed to encourage people to keep playing.

This seems an unwise move. I can see removing the item from the vendor. But to bind an item whose sole purpose was to be used for legacy transfer just makes no sense.

Especially when the item can't be stacked right now. Well, after some clearing out, I now have one legacy cargo bay full of the 1k grants, just in case...

This is a much better idea than converting to credits.

Honestly Eric, I think the studio needs to rethink this conversion to credits approach.

I get that the WZ coms and Crystals become obsolete. That part is fine in my view. Games evolve over time.

HOWEVER.... converting them to the games most generic and devalued of in game currency (credits) is going to leave a lot of people with a really sour taste. Why? Because WZ coms and Crystals are earned for effort and have traditionally provided access to items that could not be purchased with credits. Moving to 5.0.... everyones attention will be on earning CXP to follow the path to items that cannot be purchased for credits or other currencies.

Suggestion for consideration: Run your internal balance and analytics data and determine an appropriate conversion rate from WZ coms and crystals -----> CXP. It will create good will with players in conjunction with the changes in 5.0 as previously earned coms and crystals were in fact earned and used for item acquisitions.... which is a methodology now being replaced with a new earned currency.....CXP.

ALSO.... you really need to give players more then 24 hours notice of this sudden shift to binding coms. Not everyone plays every day, much less reads the forum. This jumping out from behind a rock with such short notice is not going to go over well.

This is complete nonsense. And let's not speak of the one day notice, you seriously couldn't tell us last week? Or if you only finalized the definite terms today you couldn't push the update to next week?!

Seriously, one - day - notice... That's the extent of your respect for your playerbase I guess.

Edited by demotivator

• Dev Post

Hey folks!

Alright, so after talking with the team about the feedback in this thread, we are going to make a change. Instead of requiring prior Season Ranked Tokens in 5.0, each of the cosmetic items will now cost credits and have a minimum Valor requirement.

Now, I know the next question will be, what is the minimum requirement? We would actually like to hear from all of you on that front. What do you see as the minimum requirement to have access to the the various PvP cosmetic items? Which should have higher or lower Valor requirements, etc?

Thanks you again for your feedback, as always, keep it coming!

-eric

Hey folks!

Alright, so after talking with the team about the feedback in this thread, we are going to make a change. Instead of requiring prior Season Ranked Tokens in 5.0, each of the cosmetic items will now cost credits and have a minimum Valor requirement.

Now, I know the next question will be, what is the minimum requirement? We would actually like to hear from all of you on that front. What do you see as the minimum requirement to have access to the the various PvP cosmetic items? Which should have higher or lower Valor requirements, etc?

-eric

As much as I don't think you have to "cave" to every demand, I do have to say I really appreciate how you guys are listening to the players on some of these topics. Thanks for doing this.

Hey folks!

-eric

I would say 10 for gear pieces, 50 for any cosmetic items with no requirement now, and 70 for the ones that already required 70. I'm not sure if there was anything in there really worth putting a huge tag on.

Hey folks!

-eric

Thanks for listening to the feedback.

The cosmetic stuff, as noted, is available to just about anyone who does a couple of warzones and dailies. Maybe Valor 3-5 or so?

Hey folks!

-eric

Thanks for being responsive about this. Means a lot.

Assuming you're talking about items whose current requirement is only commendations:

My recommendation, based on my experiences with the rate of valor gain, would be something in the realm of 10. 15 might be pushing it, since the valor needed for each level goes up over time.

I think what you should be aiming for is a sweet spot in-between "I stumbled into a warzone drunk and have enough valor for the items now" and "I've been at this for days or weeks on each character just to get access to these basic cosmetic items." I'm not sure what the math is like for how many warzones one needs, average, to get a bunch of levels, but if you want to look at it in terms of number of warzones played, I'd say something like 5-15.

Since it is per character, it matters more that it's not too high of a number. Unless you were to make the items legacy bound (I don't think they currently are) and in that case, I would say a higher requirement is justified, since you'd only need to get high valor on the one character. Something as high as 30 or 40 if it was legacy tradeable.

Hey folks!

That's really good to hear.

As far as the valor requirement, I'd just suggest: consider what the purpose of these items is. It seems to me the original purpose was, to motivate people to try PvP who otherwise weren't interested. So, it shouldn't be too high. As someone said, right now you can get them with the comm reward from a PvP weekly. I'm not sure if it was different at launch. I can say, that the current prices motivated this non-PvPer to PvP, so making the valor requirement basically equivalent in terms of the number of matches you have to play would seem to be the place to start.

Hey folks!

-eric

Sweet! Thanks for taking feedback into account with your decisions like this.

Am I correct that there should be a pretty straightforward ratio in the game already where PVP activities that earn [X] Warzone

Comms also provide [Y] Valor?

If so, I would look at the current WZ Comm cost of each item, convert it to an equivalent Valor quantity, figure out what Valor rank that quantity would put a player at, and then double it (since you can keep buying with credits at that point instead of needing to repeat that Valor grind the way you would for Comms). Maybe rounding up to the nearest level multiple of five to keep things neat and tidy.

That's just my 2 cents though and I don't feel that strongly about that formula, I'd happily defer to the input of others more knowledgeable about the items in question and throw my support behind a reasonable suggestion from that population.

Edited by DarthDymond

Hey folks!

-eric

These items aren't even totally unique so why even have a valor requirement whatsoever?

How about you adress the more serious matter on why on earth WZ comms (and crystals!) are being converted into an inflated and devaluated currency.

These items aren't even totally unique so why even have a valor requirement whatsoever?

How about you adress the more serious matter on why on earth WZ comms (and crystals!) are being converted into an inflated and devaluated currency.

Probably because there isn't much else they can turn them into.

As a result, any new Warzone Commendation Grants will become bound and will Bind on Pickup starting on Tuesday, with Game Update 4.7.3.

-eric

Less than 24h before the patch you tell us... Such information and especially the details are supposed to be known several days before the patch is supposed to hit the server. Not on the day before the patch when the official patch notes are published. If I hadnt peeked into dulfy today I would be screwed tomorrow.

And screw you for removing the cosmetic weapons for non-ranked players.

Get your act together, eric.

Edited by Zasszz

Wait. Did we just got lured out of the REAL topic of this conversation?. What devs really need to reconsider is the conversion of WZ comms to credits. Don't go offtopic with valor requirements for items you and me know we are no going to use.

I only PvP in this game and between all my 12 characters (fully 208 pvp geared) I have a lot of comms (like a lot!). Credits are nothing compared to the time and effort we have all placed PvPing for getting WZ comms and even if BW gives me XX million credits for those. what Im gonna do with them?. Buy what? I've been a sub since launch and have most of the items. they have released or at least the ones Im have been interested in.

Wait. Did we just got lured out of the REAL topic of this conversation?. What devs really need to reconsider is the conversion of WZ comms to credits. Don't go offtopic with valor requirements for items you and me know we are no going to use.

I only PvP in this game and between all my 12 characters (fully 208 pvp geared) I have a lot of comms (like a lot!). Credits are nothing compared to the time and effort we have all placed PvPing for getting WZ comms and even if BW gives me XX million credits for those. what Im gonna do with them?. Buy what? I've been a sub since launch and have most of the items. they have released or at least the ones Im have been interested in.

What do you do with all those comms now?

Hey folks!

-eric

Hey Eric, I'm glad to see you guys are willing to change this up a bit. That's really nice to see.

I think the valor requirement should be proportional to what the commendation cost was. At least slightly. With the weapons, those cost 900 Warzone comms which is about equivalent of 3 Warzones, so Valor 5 was my example there. That could be doubled, I guess, to make it Valor 10 for the weapons which roughly make 100 WZ Comms convert to an extra level of valor required (rounding up for the weapons to avoid having it randomly at 9). Then the crystals (if the mastery ones are sold at the PVP vendor) would be Valor 5, the 1000 WZ Comm mount would be Valor 10, 1500 mount would be Valor 15, etc. I feel like this would allow everything to be consistent while also "tiering" the rewards so to speak without getting too high. If you do Valor 5 for the weapons, you could still do this just subtract 5 valor levels off what I mentioned above.

The goal, in my eyes, would be to make it enough that some of the stuff has to be "worked towards" but not so high that for a (initially) non-PVPer it'd discourage them from even trying for these things. The weapons especially, which should be either the lowest tier or close to it since some of those are no longer obtainable by other means. If somebody wants that weapon look, they have to at least give WZs a try. Get to Valor 5 or 10, then you can buy them, but in that time they may like PVP and be encouraged to try more. If you set that level to high, they just won't bother.

Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid