Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why don't the starship turrets at spawn locations attack anymore?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Why don't the starship turrets at spawn locations attack anymore?

RatPoison
10.13.2016 , 02:40 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Greezt View Post
This wouldn't work either. You'd simply see matches artificially lengthened and and scoreboards much closer than they should be - players would hide near their capships, and if the other team would be close to a 10 points lead they wouldn't even be able to pursue it, since that'd mean they'd be one-shottted.
We're not likely to agree. I found the disabling of the turrets to be a short circuited and short sighted "fix" that gave newbies little recourse when it was first implemented. And unfortunately the theories over what could happen did, albeit in grossly lopsided matches only.

I like finding the compromise, and rationalized a gap variable would bring it while not changing the outcome of a match. Other than offending the occasional scout pilot and messing up the k/d of stat farmers, what was there to lose other than some additional time? Also, 10 was just an example, the variable could be much larger... say "25" instead - a difference in 25 in TDM is substantial and a good indicator that one team is getting pummeled. How about larger 30?... even more so, and would likely mean the turrets aren't active except for those TDMs where the score ends 50 - 1. Heck the turrets themselves could even be tweaked to have less accuracy (they can be evaded already) and do less damage (although they don't one shot most ship builds with full hulls and shields).

I guess what I'm saying... is that the devs took a very lazy way out and did not actually didn't solve any issue other than eliminating the complaints of pilots that couldn't perform abject slaughter from start to finish, and eliminating the (super?) rare scenario of a team hiding behind cap ships to protect their lead. The folks that suffered from the "fix" were those new pilots that got frustrated and quit altogether. I've gotten to witness that frustration on occasion.
Saevius : Marauder
- T o r v a N e x -
Referral Link for Free Stuff
7 Days Subscription for Previous Subscribers

msummersea
10.17.2016 , 06:19 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by RatPoison View Post
We're not likely to agree. I found the disabling of the turrets to be a short circuited and short sighted "fix" that gave newbies little recourse when it was first implemented. And unfortunately the theories over what could happen did, albeit in grossly lopsided matches only.

I like finding the compromise, and rationalized a gap variable would bring it while not changing the outcome of a match. Other than offending the occasional scout pilot and messing up the k/d of stat farmers, what was there to lose other than some additional time? Also, 10 was just an example, the variable could be much larger... say "25" instead - a difference in 25 in TDM is substantial and a good indicator that one team is getting pummeled. How about larger 30?... even more so, and would likely mean the turrets aren't active except for those TDMs where the score ends 50 - 1. Heck the turrets themselves could even be tweaked to have less accuracy (they can be evaded already) and do less damage (although they don't one shot most ship builds with full hulls and shields).

I guess what I'm saying... is that the devs took a very lazy way out and did not actually didn't solve any issue other than eliminating the complaints of pilots that couldn't perform abject slaughter from start to finish, and eliminating the (super?) rare scenario of a team hiding behind cap ships to protect their lead. The folks that suffered from the "fix" were those new pilots that got frustrated and quit altogether. I've gotten to witness that frustration on occasion.
I'm on board with this. Saying games would be artificially lengthened is a bad thing is not a good argument. It basically says curb stomping is ok. Well for the long run health of the game, I'm not sure curb stomping is the best outcome. How many newcomers will think, "well, I kept getting killed the moment I spawned and there was nowhere to go and nothing to do, but hey, at least the game wasn't made longer by allowing me to live longer, so that's great"? So yes, artificially lengthen the game all we can.