Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Credit Sellers and Spammers

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
10.04.2016 , 09:11 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

As you may know from previous posts on the topic, when it comes to credit sellers we will often do a large takedown at one time. This allows us to have the largest impact on the credit sellers without them being able to react. Today was one of those instances.

With today's maintenance we acted on a few different initiatives to help curb the in-game chat and mail spam of credit sellers. Some examples of what was done today include:
  • Banning of thousands of credit selling accounts.
  • Closing a loophole in an existing promotion, that allowed credit sellers to quickly and easily make accounts which could send you in-game mail and access the fleet.
  • Made adjustments to some existing automated functions to better catch credit sellers.
  • And more... (we don't want to reveal everything we are doing to the credit sellers )
Keep in mind that when it comes to catching credit sellers, as we make adjustments, so do they. It is a constant game of cat and mouse, but it is one that we will continue to focus on aggressively. For this reason, it is important that you continue to always report these spammers and credit sellers as you see them. I know sometimes it seems like we aren't taking action, but I promise that your reports are critical in our ability to find and take action against credit sellers.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

peter_plankskull
10.04.2016 , 09:14 AM | #2
Thanks for the update Eric, means a lot and shows you have been reading the forums... contrary to uh... som... someones.... uh... belief...

Death to credit spammers!

LyraineAlei
10.04.2016 , 09:15 AM | #3
Yay! *does a contained but semi-enthusiastic hand waving gesture* Nice to see a post saying that the issue if being dealt with, thanks!

DarthWoad
10.04.2016 , 09:15 AM | #4
Oh finally Do you know how many credits that were deleted along with their accounts?
Founder of The Old Republic
Returning to the game? Get 7 days FREE subscription by clicking here

Tsetso
10.04.2016 , 09:16 AM | #5
I'll believe it when i go home and not see the chat full of spammers, but thanks anyway

TUXs
10.04.2016 , 09:17 AM | #6
GREAT to hear Eric!!! They had become far too bold lately...I'm glad you guys took action
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

TUXs
10.04.2016 , 09:18 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthWoad View Post
Oh finally Do you know how many credits that were deleted along with their accounts?
Great question...I too would love to know "about" how many credits were removed.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

CaptRogue
10.04.2016 , 09:20 AM | #8
Yay -eric!! lol And the team who all was involved with it.
Interested in a Free Server Transfer, 7 Days Sub & More? Follow that link to get started!

mmiracle
10.04.2016 , 09:35 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

As you may know from previous posts on the topic, when it comes to credit sellers we will often do a large takedown at one time. This allows us to have the largest impact on the credit sellers without them being able to react. Today was one of those instances.

With today's maintenance we acted on a few different initiatives to help curb the in-game chat and mail spam of credit sellers. Some examples of what was done today include:
  • Banning of thousands of credit selling accounts.
  • Closing a loophole in an existing promotion, that allowed credit sellers to quickly and easily make accounts which could send you in-game mail and access the fleet.
  • Made adjustments to some existing automated functions to better catch credit sellers.
  • And more... (we don't want to reveal everything we are doing to the credit sellers )
Keep in mind that when it comes to catching credit sellers, as we make adjustments, so do they. It is a constant game of cat and mouse, but it is one that we will continue to focus on aggressively. For this reason, it is important that you continue to always report these spammers and credit sellers as you see them. I know sometimes it seems like we aren't taking action, but I promise that your reports are critical in our ability to find and take action against credit sellers.

-eric
Thank you so much for this update. I was about to give up reporting SPAM after seeing the same website advertised over and over and over again.
Warm regards,

Matt Miracle

Nauticaa
10.04.2016 , 09:38 AM | #10
Great News! Glad all the spam reporting isn't a waste of time.

One thing you might consider is putting in a report spam and ignore option (instead of just the report spam) so we don't have a two step process when dealing with people shouting their spam in general chat. Sometimes I just ignore because its faster then report spam and then ignore. But I generally only do that when I've already reported the spam on another character.