Disappointed in Female Romance Storyline Options and KotFE =(

Katbrat

I've played this game since beta and played for a few years after release. I stopped for a while only to return again a few months ago. No matter how much I requested options in beta, I see nothing has changed. I have always loved Bioware (Mass Effect and Dragon Age) and the storylines, but the team for SWTOR really sucked at giving us females romance options. I'm bifemale so I don't care if it were women or men, but if I were limited to men, it really tore me up that I got stuck with men like Vector (half bug), Aric (a cat), Quinn (a betrayer and heartbreaker), etc. And only ONE romance option while the guys had a few options to choose from. My husband tells me "I think I'll romance so and so this time around" but my only other option is to keep my legs closed! WTH devs? You don't think women play this game or like Star Wars or story line?? It really puts a damper on the storylines as romance has and always will be a groundbreaking part of Bioware's RPGs.

I also know my characters for KOTFE can romance Lana, Theron, or Koth (either sex) but the storyline (and the romance) is not as indepth or emotionally attaching as going through what we did with the main companions. Personally I feel the devs are so damn lazy and added the romance chat options in these new chapters (KofTE) at the last minute without any good emotional romance to go with it. And I don't even get me started about the way the chat selection is in KotFE? Can we say LAZY development? It seems they went backwards as the chat options are just like that in the first Mass Effect without any voice overs.

Any other female gamers feel we got screwed (or lack there of) in the romance story line in this game? And anyone else feel they focus more on selling their packs than they do adding CONTENT and STORY LINE?I know there is nothing we can do about it and the devs don't read these (as a previous beta player they didn't read those forums either) but I just thought I'd connect with my fellow female players as well. Just disappointed, this game could have been better.

Edited by Katbrat

I'm sad that there wasn't much romance in KOTFE. I was hoping for more cantina scenes, but alas, nothing, even if just some of the basic talk had more flirt options at least.

Agreed!! It's as if they pushed the whole game aside and every now and then when EA feels they need some additional funding for a new project they pull the SWTOR team in and say "Let's add an expansion with a few chat scenes and 100 new packs!" /facepalm

As a bisexual woman, I'd say the only male Love Interest I really liked was Vector... ok, he's half bug and kinda creepy sometimes but he still made my Agent feel special.

Felix was dull but sweet, and I wouldn't romance Doc for a trillion pounds and a time machine.

I know I keep saying this, but I really wish I could romance Kira on my female Knight in-game without having to resort to head-canon.

My Agent latched on to Lana in KotFE, but she still wants her buggy husband back... and if possible, to be involved with both of them :p

I know I keep saying this, but I really wish I could romance Kira on my female Knight in-game without having to resort to head-canon.

That is one of my fantasy gaming wishes as well. I know not all NPCs are going to be bi/gay but I've found 90% of the female companions are so much more desirable than the men! The only male I found extremely worthy was Lt Pierce as he's a true man who would stick up for his girl and beat the enemy's face in no BS lol

My Agent latched on to Lana in KotFE, but she still wants her buggy husband back... and if possible, to be involved with both of them :p

^ This would be a great romance story line LOL! I, too, hooked onto Lana with a few of my characters. What a game fantasy that would be to have both ;)

Although I do like a lot of the romances options for females, I still am disappointed that we only get one real romance per class, two flirty one offs with Tharan and Peirce. But, a male character has two full romances with the majority of their classes, not to mention the countless flirts in non class stories whereas a female character is lucky to get a random one or two throughout the whole vanilla content.

A male Jedi can mini romance an npc before leaving Tython but a female can't even though there is a capable counterpart for her. Sith males have at least two flirts before leaving Korriban but a female character has none.

It's like they think women should be prim and proper and always following the rules or codes for force users but the males can stick it in anything warm they come across.

Mass Effect was the same, the only BW game I played that does equality great is Dragon age.

Edited by serenitty

Although I do like a lot of the romances options for females, I still am disappointed that we only get one real romance per class, two flirty one offs with Tharan and Peirce. But, a male character has two full romances with the majority of their classes, not to mention the countless flirts in non class stories whereas a female character is lucky to get a random one or two throughout the whole vanilla content.

A male Jedi can mini romance an npc before leaving Tython but a female can't even though there is a capable counterpart for her. Sith males have at least two flirts before leaving Korriban but a female character has none.

It's like they think women should be prim and proper and always following the rules or codes for force users but the males can stick it in anything warm they come across.

Mass Effect was the same, the only BW game I played that does equality great is Dragon age.

That's what upsets me too in ME, but this game, especially. I felt through the whole story line that they didn't think women wanted a romance+sex option, as if guys were the only ones who had these "fantasies". I find it rather insulting that they assume as a female gamer I don't think like that or that my idea of a partner would come down to their limited selections.

Dear Bioware: Please put a female writer on your team next time!!

It's actually not really a majority of classes.

The Smuggler, Sith Warrior, and Agent are the only male classes that have two full romance options among companions.

The Smuggler, Sith Warrior, and Agent are the only male classes that have two full romance options among companions.

You are correct, but its still more options than what us females get and with the romance selections we get in a whole (a half bug, a cat, a betrayer, etc) it's more that we don't get as many "choices" as the males do.

Why does everyone keep forgetting Torian? He's the best romance, in my opinion. Too bad he's broken now.

My favorites are Torian, Iresso, and Corso. I'm finally playing through with a female Agent and Vector is sweet, but yeah, the bug thing is going to take some mental gymnastics to get past.

It's always been this way in BioWare games. I think it's because when BioWare first started out, there weren't many female gamers. Personally, I've been giving this same feedback to them since I met that Anomen guy in Baldur's Gate.

That's what upsets me too in ME, but this game, especially. I felt through the whole story line that they didn't think women wanted a romance+sex option, as if guys were the only ones who had these "fantasies". I find it rather insulting that they assume as a female gamer I don't think like that or that my idea of a partner would come down to their limited selections.

Dear Bioware: Please put a female writer on your team next time!!

It's funny though, there have been a few times I heard it say romance was only put in the games to attract female players, strange how then romance is catered toward male audiences more.

I actually stopped playing male characters because the more flirt options that popped up for them, the angrier I became, it really becomes to feel that the male gamer is still very much the favoured audience and anyone else is there just to fund more fluff for the guys.

Edited by serenitty

Why does everyone keep forgetting Torian? He's the best romance, in my opinion. Too bad he's broken now.

My favorites are Torian, Iresso, and Corso. I'm finally playing through with a female Agent and Vector is sweet, but yeah, the bug thing is going to take some mental gymnastics to get past.

It's always been this way in BioWare games. I think it's because when BioWare first started out, there weren't many female gamers. Personally, I've been giving this same feedback to them since I met that Anomen guy in Baldur's Gate.

LOL! Same here with me and Vector, it took a lot of SPACEBARS to get thru it. Though I agree, I do like Torian! I am re-playing my BH because the first time around I didn't marry him and I broke it off when I saw him again in KotFE for Theran (which I regret). Sooo I have to marry him this time.

I had to do a lot of Spacebars with Corso too though, I kinda felt like he was like a kid fresh out of high school and I was dating my 16 year old so or something LOL!

Ahh ok my mistake. Though someone in another thread did point out that nearly every vanilla female companion excluding SCORPIO is romanceable.

And although a lot of the male companions could be assumed not romanceable due to their race or whatnot there are still a few that could be added to balance it out a bit....Zenith, Gault, Scourge/Rusk to name but a few. It even seems like in one conversation they might have even considered Zenith an option but backed out for some reason.

Ok, romances are not that much of a big thing, not even essential to the story but if you are going to put in options, it should be fairly balanced.

I don't know. I honestly prefer most of the romance options for female characters, over the opposite. So that my favorite companions tend to be those characters, even. Which isn't to say I don't like a couple of the male-character romance options. But I tend to veer towards characters that are dynamic or more complex, that make me THINK or challenge my sense of understanding.

(1) Torian Cadera has a habit of saying so much. Using very brief phrases and words that hide a deeper meaning under the surface. I love listening to everything he says! Even telling my Hunter how much he cares ends up being a nuanced turn of phrase, that's just plain incredible.

(2) Malavai Quinn is danged intelligent. He provides a perspective on Imperial society that fascinates me, and the way he stumbles between a major battle of two powerful Sith had me stopping long enough to think, "Well, crap. What would *I* do in that situation?" By the time I was done, I figured there was just more to him than ANYTHING you see on the surface and I adored him for it.

(3) Corso Riggs is cute. He's obviously not my favorite romance (that's Torian, btw). But he's this cute, adorable foil for my utterly irreverent Smuggler girl and they work so dang well together. He's funny, he's loveable, he's puppy-dog-cute -- my Smuggler girl loved him. He also makes a great companion for my guy Smuggie, and he's definitely a companion I'm eagerly looking for coming back.

My Smuggler and Agent are both guys. So I never romanced Vector. Sorry, btw -- I couldn't get past the bug-thing. But Vector's cool enough my Agent considers him a real friend. And since my Agent's totally darkside and vicious as heck given the chance, it says a lot that he likes Vector.

And just to clarify, yes ... I'm a female player, and been here since Beta.

I know I'm most likely beating a dead horse here but just want to say that I'm still somewhat annoyed especially now we're in KOTFE and coming onto KOTET we still don't have a Male Force User romance. In 1-50 the guys get Kira, DS Jasea, Nadia and Ashara. When it comes to SOR and KOTFE we get another female force user, Lana (I know she can romance both male/female characters but she's not my cup of tea personally) and we get Theron (who I do adore) and Koth both who aren't force users, even the two new companions for DvL are both female force users. Lana in KOTFE gets a lot more LI time than Koth and Theron to.

With that said however I do enjoy some of the 1-50 romances especially Iresso, Vector and Quinn. I was never a big fan of Jorgan but he really grew on me in KOTFE, his VA was absolutely on point with the LI lines, loved it! I was never a big fan of Doc, Corso or Andronokis but if KOTFE can make me do a back flip on what I though about Jorgan I might yet be pleasantly surprised.

What we need in KOTET is more meaningful LI interaction overall not just for our ladies but for our men as well :)

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

What we need in KOTET is more meaningful LI interaction overall not just for our ladies but for our men as well :)

^ Yes please! It certain would make the story lines so much better. Though if they are so lazy adding voice over and character emotional aspects in KotFE (instead of simply clicking a sentence selection), this may be a long shot in getting them to add more detailed LI story lines. I though just clicking "Kiss her" for my romance with Lana was very anti-climatic =(

(1) Torian Cadera has a habit of saying so much. Using very brief phrases and words that hide a deeper meaning under the surface. I love listening to everything he says! Even telling my Hunter how much he cares ends up being a nuanced turn of phrase, that's just plain incredible.

This is why I regret turning him down for marriage the first time. I am replaying my BH now to redo the romance.

(2) Malavai Quinn is danged intelligent. He provides a perspective on Imperial society that fascinates me, and the way he stumbles between a major battle of two powerful Sith had me stopping long enough to think, "Well, crap. What would *I* do in that situation?" By the time I was done, I figured there was just more to him than ANYTHING you see on the surface and I adored him for it.

I like Mal too, but I preferred Pierce. He seemed more of my personal preference in a male romance. Someone devoted, loyal, bragged about you, and would beat the hell out of anyone who said otherwise (Empire or not lol)

(3) Corso Riggs is cute. He's obviously not my favorite romance (that's Torian, btw). But he's this cute, adorable foil for my utterly irreverent Smuggler girl and they work so dang well together. He's funny, he's loveable, he's puppy-dog-cute -- my Smuggler girl loved him. He also makes a great companion for my guy Smuggie, and he's definitely a companion I'm eagerly looking for coming back.

Ya I think many liked Corso for his boyish charm and innocence. I just felt he was so inexperienced and I grew impatient. Maybe because IRL I've been married for 23 years so perhaps that rubbed off on my fantasy of a man who was exciting, experienced, knowledgeable about the universe, and been through life? i just couldn't feel anything for him, I felt more of a mother than a lover. LOL!!

My Smuggler and Agent are both guys. So I never romanced Vector. Sorry, btw -- I couldn't get past the bug-thing. But Vector's cool enough my Agent considers him a real friend. And since my Agent's totally darkside and vicious as heck given the chance, it says a lot that he likes Vector.

And just to clarify, yes ... I'm a female player, and been here since Beta.

Agreed, Vector just didn't do much for me. Everytime he said "WE" I thought to myself "How could I ever have sex with this guy feeling as if other beings were watching us do it?" ... Vector: "We love making love to you!" ... NOPE! Can't do it! lol!

I agree that the flirt/romance discrepancy in the class stories is very irritating. (Why isn't my little Talos a romance? Why?). I also think it's a shame that same gender romances weren't introduced until later. But those ships sailed long ago.

I also agree that the romance opportunities were sorely lacking in KotFE and a really hope KoTET is better.

But I completely disagree about the quality of male vs female companion romances. I love the boys' romances, but most of the girls' romances are juvenile, boring or disturbing. Companions that were great as pals, like Kira and Mako, were horrible as romances.