Dear Bioware: Will we ever get prequel-style Jedi outfits?

Alec_Fortescue

They came SO close with Exiled Master's, but we need a Prequel variant with the shorter tunics and tabards. I'm still holding out hope for a hood-down version at some point, or a pair of leggings to use that don't have weird kneepads on them. Edited by Sir_Aranath

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was about KotOR 2. It was mentioned since it was a prequel to SWTOR and such robes appeared in it, making it not unreasonable for them to appear in SWTOR. Ben seemed to think that they were modded into KoTOR 2.

Okay, that makes more sense.

OP I think many of us have resolved to the fact that the engine prevents them from doing basic options easily. I could be wrong but some things are so mind blowing that they are not in the game that I just chalk it up to the engine.

Ben was probably referring to these robes which is in fact a mod.

That being said, I never understood the fascination with these robes. The Prequels got them wrong and made a costume which was worn by moisture farmers into a standard thing. Kind of why I like Luminara Undulis, Aayla Securas costumes. But that's just my opinion and everyone can play dress up as they like.

Edited by MACharlieV

Ben was probably referring to these robes which is in fact a mod.

That being said, I never understood the fascination with these robes. The Prequels got them wrong and made a costume which was worn by moisture farmers into a standard thing. Kind of why I like Luminara Undulis, Aayla Securas costumes. But that's just my opinion and everyone can play dress up as they like.

Wow ... it's sad that those mods for a game launched 12 years ago (& 7 years before SWTOR) look 1000000000000000000000000000000000000% better than any armor set currently in game.

Edited by Sportiva

Wow ... it's sad that those mods for a game launched 12 years ago (& 7 years before SWTOR) look 1000000000000000000000000000000000000% better than any armor set currently in game.

To be fair, they look rather crummy on the female.

Actually, you don't even needs mod for Jedi Robes in KOTOR 2. http://m.imgur.com/9ha8ELu?r

Those are in the game as 'Jedi Robes' with no mods at all. Boom! The mod ones look better, but good looking prequel-esque robes were in the base game shipped by the developers. Hooray!

Alec, did your agent correct him that the Jedi robe model was in the vanilla game with no mods?

Edited by JediJuliusDavin

Actually, you don't even needs mod for Jedi Robes in KOTOR 2. http://m.imgur.com/9ha8ELu?r

Those are in the game as 'Jedi Robes' with no mods at all. Boom! The mod ones look better, but good looking prequel-esque robes were in the base game shipped by the developers. Hooray!

Alec, did your agent correct him that the Jedi robe model was in the vanilla game with no mods?

Yes. Ben seemed to think that the robes in question were modded into the game and was corrected that they were in the vanilla game. This is concerning as it appears that someone in charge of SWTOR didn't play KotOR 2.

I've been begging and begging for three years. You trashed the hood toggle and I gave up on it. But why are there so little unarmored Jedi outfits in a role-playing Star Wars game? Why are there no prequel-style outfits in-game, despite them appearing in various SWTOR-related media?

Are there any technological issues with adding outfits like those: http://i.imgur.com/9ha8ELu.jpg http://i.imgur.com/2NoBT6o.jpg http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090320221709/starwars/images/5/59/ThreeJedi.jpg

We've seen you making long sleeves now and they look and work great. We've seen you make leg-pieces which featured the continuation of the chest piece (3.0 craftable gear) and works very well with long robes (no clipping).

Where is the issue, Bioware? Licensing?

I can understand that, perhaps, you might have had a different vision of Jedi outfitting for this game / era but what's the point now considering how many ridiculous and out-of-reality outfits are being delivered through the cartel market? And if that would've been the case, then iconic Jedi outfits wouldn't appear in promotional art work.

It's really surprising that they haven't made it into the game. Please, can I ask for an answer in this matter? It's been three years. :[

I will say this, the jedi stopped wearing battle armor right after the brotherhood of darkness which was around 1000 BBY, SWTOR is in 3000 BBY so you have 2000+/- years to go until robes are more popular.

Also there are some robes, they just are not to popular or are very expensive.

Yes. Ben seemed to think that the robes in question were modded into the game and was corrected that they were in the vanilla game. This is concerning as it appears that someone in charge of SWTOR didn't play KotOR 2.

Or didn't play it without mods. Because, let's be honest, who doesn't play Kotor2 without mods?

Most of the pieces that are close enough are in the game already. They just won't make a complete set that everyone wants. Basically its a hood down of the outer robe from the exterminator set, the inner robe of the battle expulsor's set, the legs of the battle expulsor's set (minus the knee pads), and there you go. It's not exact to the prequil trilogy robes, but close enough to satisfy all, I'd guess. Also it should be dye-able so that the 1 and 2 colors make up the most of the dyeing. Edited by btmart

Most of the pieces that are close enough are in the game already. They just won't make a complete set that everyone wants. Basically its a hood down of the outer robe from the exterminator set, the inner robe of the battle expulsor's set, the legs of the battle expulsor's set (minus the knee pads), and there you go. It's not exact to the prequil trilogy robes, but close enough to satisfy all, I'd guess. Also it should be dye-able so that the 1 and 2 colors make up the most of the dyeing.

IMO, this is a prime example of either 1) the poor 3D engine 2) the lack of creativity of the outfit designers or 3) combination of both. The way that BW created the dye system & lack of consistency of what details get applied to the chest vs. waist vs. legs prevents players from mixing & matching different pieces from different sets.

I will say this, the jedi stopped wearing battle armor right after the brotherhood of darkness which was around 1000 BBY, SWTOR is in 3000 BBY so you have 2000+/- years to go until robes are more popular.

Also there are some robes, they just are not to popular or are very expensive.

Except the Robes existed in KOTOR 2 which preceded SWTOR so...they do exist within the established timeline and aren't based solely on 'popularity?' http://i.imgur.com/9ha8ELu.jpg

Gnost-Dural also wore them during this era of the Old Republic http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/4/41/Gnost-Dural_SIS_JMGD.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120807203410

Edited by JediJuliusDavin

• 2 weeks later...
who wants to bet Alec Fortescue is the running joke at the watercooler in BiowareAustin at this point.

Like damn guy, its been almost 5 years.

They should name an NPC in your name. I'd do it.

I'd love to have a legacy in Star Wars after myself, wouldn't say "no" even if it was to be a joke character. :)

But I am totally serious about the matter of Jedi robes. I am not joking, I am not trolling. This is dead serious to me.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I'd love to have a legacy in Star Wars after myself, wouldn't say "no" even if it was to be a joke character. :)

But I am totally serious about the matter of Jedi robes. I am not joking, I am not trolling. This is dead serious to me.

EA/BW should have a contest to let players design the Alec Fortescue NPC. My entry ...

A Jedi clad in bulky, mismatched, clashing-colored Trooper armor (complete with useless backpack, cylinder thingy at the back of the belt, etc.), standing at the Forge on Tython (maximum visibility to all Jedi). When you interact with the NPC, he says, "Will we ever get prequel-style Jedi outfits?" Maybe add a second triggered comment: "This armor itches!"

Thanks guys!

Question to Bioware Dev ''is the sun outside today?''

Dev '' We do hope the sun is out but sometimes you can not predict the weather ''

''Yes but IS the sun out TOday?''

Dev '' Sometimes we think the sun will be out but then you get rain and sometimes clouds and sometimes even snow''

''IS THE SUN OUT TODAY just answer the simply question!! ''

Dev '' Us at Bioware everyday hope and pray that the sun does come out and we continue to support good weather coming your way''

''ARRRRRGGGGGHHH why why why (sob) won't they answer (sob) the question''

that is the blue print for virtually every conversation i have with my wife. i am now going to cover every camera and mic in my house...your hand was played....im on to you (/target Alec_Fortescue.9008860; /echuta):)

edit:

to add, i would like the Robes, too. so I am and have always been on your side with that....

Edited by Qouivandes

EA/BW should have a contest to let players design the Alec Fortescue NPC. My entry ...

A Jedi clad in bulky, mismatched, clashing-colored Trooper armor (complete with useless backpack, cylinder thingy at the back of the belt, etc.), standing at the Forge on Tython (maximum visibility to all Jedi). When you interact with the NPC, he says, "Will we ever get prequel-style Jedi outfits?" Maybe add a second triggered comment: "This armor itches!"

Or maybe to not break immersion, just have-

"Whatever happened to Jedi fashion? We used to have great robes..."

Maybe right in front of the Jedi temple for even more visibility to all classes?

And then in Assault on Tython have said NPC throw himself into the fight with the guy with teh droids, but he's a weak so the NPC would die quickly, voicing the words "Will there be a proper Jedi robe?" similar to Niko's "Will there be a cantina?"

• 3 weeks later...