Guss Tuno is at it again...

BenIrving

There was an issue completing the final step of the mission that only showed itself when there were multiple people trying to do it at the same time. Would have caused a lot of problems for a lot of people and unfortunately we were not able to get a fix in place in time for 6/28. We decided to push Guss out of the update instead of delaying the release of Chapter XV.

And you only discovered this 48hrs before the quest was due to go live?

May I suggest something called beta-testing - google it.

All The Best

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an issue completing the final step of the mission that only showed itself when there were multiple people trying to do it at the same time. Would have caused a lot of problems for a lot of people and unfortunately we were not able to get a fix in place in time for 6/28. We decided to push Guss out of the update instead of delaying the release of Chapter XV.

To echo many others comments Ben, THANK YOU!

THIS is the type of feedback we appreciate. THIS is the type of communication that buys you easy good will. THIS is the type of communication that makes frustrated players, patient players. THIS is how you treat customers who wait with bated breath for you to say ANYTHING...

So again...thank you!

And you only discovered this 48hrs before the quest was due to go live?

May I suggest something called beta-testing - google it.

All The Best

They did discover it in beta testing; otherwise we would have found it when it went live. They had to have known about it since at least when the original post was made, and probably before then. The post was made because they realized they couldn't fix it in time (for whatever reason).

If in the first post, you simply added something like 'here are more details', and linked a post somewhere else which explained exactly what you wrote in your second post, I would've appreciated the humor a lot more. The delay of the mission, something I'm wasn't going to do right away anyway, wasn't even that big a deal to me (though I understand obviously those who feel closer to their smuggler character might feel differently, not trying to downplay their feelings but this is just speaking for myself), but the humor without the info can give the feeling that you don't feel like it's a big deal that it was delayed.

Appreciate the second post. If I had would suggestion it would be to link the 2nd post to the first post for anyone who maybe comes upon it today.

Dangit Gus!

At it again!

What did I tell you about that, before I got frozen in Carbonite? :p

I told him to not touch anything! I left specific instructions, go to Port Nowhere and wait for me if something happened. But, what are ya gonna do, it's Guss.

I told him to not touch anything! I left specific instructions, go to Port Nowhere and wait for me if something happened. But, what are ya gonna do, it's Guss.

Why would you tell him to go there? That's the problem! He probably caused so much mayham with Port Nowhere! :eek::D

And this wasn't discovered because the test team is just one bloke in the corner poking things randomly?

*cough*PTS*cough*

And this wasn't discovered because the test team is just one bloke in the corner poking things randomly?

*cough*PTS*cough*

Well, they obviously caught it, since it didn't get into the patch.

They coulda left it in, then you'd all be crying even more foul than you do now.

They didn't say how long they spent trying to fix it. May have been hours, days, weeks, months.

They just said that it doesn't work, so they removed it.

Why would you tell him to go there? That's the problem! He probably caused so much mayham with Port Nowhere! :eek::D

Ah man, you're right. I shoulda sent him to the Tattooine stronghold. Wait, no, that has slot machines and dancing girls, maybe Nar Shaddaa, no that wouldn't work. Guss Tuno, ya just can't send him alone anywhere.

I figured it was something like this (not exactly but some type of issue). I'm glad he was pulled rather than bug everyone doing any alerts at all. As much as I'd like more companions now, especially after doing chapter 15 :( I'm glad you guys prefer to wait rather than give us fubar'd items.

I am glad to know that the developers feel so confident in their new content that they have 1 person test it out before it goes live. ONE PERSON. NOT 2, JUST 1. Two would mean multiple people tried to get it at the same time. One means it want from the time of development to just before release to find it.

I have a suggestion. Use the fracken test server. Have certain people you invite sign an NDA (that would be non disclosure agreement for those of you who don't know) and have them test the new content before it goes live. You would save the community and yourselves less headaches.

As it is now you constantly trip over your feet due to poor corporate decisions and look foolish.

I am glad to know that the developers feel so confident in their new content that they have 1 person test it out before it goes live. ONE PERSON. NOT 2, JUST 1. Two would mean multiple people tried to get it at the same time. One means it want from the time of development to just before release to find it.

I have a suggestion. Use the fracken test server. Have certain people you invite sign an NDA (that would be non disclosure agreement for those of you who don't know) and have them test the new content before it goes live. You would save the community and yourselves less headaches.

As it is now you constantly trip over your feet due to poor corporate decisions and look foolish.

I take it you work there. What's your position and what does it entail? It must be one that allows you to see all that goes on there to know that kind of thing. And you clearly don't care about your job, so spill it.

What's that? You don't work there? You decided to make a rage post instead of reading the dev post that explained the problem which completely makes your accusation invalid?

I'll reiterate it for you: "There was an issue completing the final step of the mission that only showed itself when there were multiple people trying to do it at the same time. Would have caused a lot of problems for a lot of people and unfortunately we were not able to get a fix in place in time for 6/28. We decided to push Guss out of the update instead of delaying the release of Chapter XV." -Ben Irving

Please please please keep up with the Developer Tracker. You can save yourself from looking bad next time (been there). And don't get all worked up over what might be going on. It causes more trouble and is not the case 99% of the time. Test servers would are nice and useful, but they are not a "fix-all guaranteed-no-bugs" solution. Nothing is. And it isn't a one-click/button press fix. It never is. If this happened on PTS, they would have had to do it anyhow.

I take it you work there. What's your position and what does it entail? It must be one that allows you to see all that goes on there to know that kind of thing. And you clearly don't care about your job, so spill it.

What's that? You don't work there? You decided to make a rage post instead of reading the dev post that explained the problem which completely makes your accusation invalid?

I'll reiterate it for you: "There was an issue completing the final step of the mission that only showed itself when there were multiple people trying to do it at the same time. Would have caused a lot of problems for a lot of people and unfortunately we were not able to get a fix in place in time for 6/28. We decided to push Guss out of the update instead of delaying the release of Chapter XV." -Ben Irving

Please please please keep up with the Developer Tracker. You can save yourself from looking bad next time (been there). And don't get all worked up over what might be going on. It causes more trouble and is not the case 99% of the time. Test servers would are nice and useful, but they are not a "fix-all guaranteed-no-bugs" solution. Nothing is. And it isn't a one-click/button press fix. It never is. If this happened on PTS, they would have had to do it anyhow.

If it had been on the test server, it would have been found well before it was due to be released and could have been worked on prior to the day of release. BW does not get the benefit of the doubt on broken content anymore. They've screwed up way too often, especially after they stopped using the PTS. But defend them to the hilt when they screw up yet AGAIN because that will get you Brownie Points you can turn in for - oh, wait - you can't turn them in for anything. Never mind.

If it had been on the test server, it would have been found well before it was due to be released and could have been worked on prior to the day of release. BW does not get the benefit of the doubt on broken content anymore. They've screwed up way too often, especially after they stopped using the PTS. But defend them to the hilt when they screw up yet AGAIN because that will get you Brownie Points you can turn in for - oh, wait - you can't turn them in for anything. Never mind.

Correction: If they were the only ones doing that and no other MMO game ever had trouble, I would agree. But that is not the case, and never will be.

Informative: That is all MMO games. Not just TOR. STO, for example is far worse. They always release something that is very broken, full of text and audio errors, etc. They don't use their PTS all the time either.

Statement: Singling out BioWare over something all MMOs go through is unfair, illogical, and makes you look like a fool. Prove you aren't one by not letting your expectations be unreasonable and get the better of you.

Correction: If they were the only ones doing that and no other MMO game ever had trouble, I would agree. But that is not the case, and never will be.

Informative: That is all MMO games. Not just TOR. STO, for example is far worse. They always release something that is very broken, full of text and audio errors, etc. They don't use their PTS all the time either.

Statement: Singling out BioWare over something all MMOs go through is unfair, illogical, and makes you look like a fool. Prove you aren't one by not letting your expectations be unreasonable and get the better of you.

I don't care that you think you're HK, nor are you original for trying to sound like him. And this isn't STO or WOW or a game of Monopoly. If all of the other MMOs jumped off a bridge, should Bioware jump too? Please. I don't care what any other company does or does not do with games I don't play. And even if I did, what is posting on the SWTOR forum going to do about issues with WoW?

I care what this company does to the game that I do play. They have a PTS. They refuse to use it for the monthly releases. The results of that are quite clear: broken content and delays.

The fact that they have a reduced staff should make them more inclined to solicit the player community's help in quashing bugs before wide release. Players find exploits and bugs almost immediately after downloading the latest patch and have videos and Reddit threads posted on them all the same afternoon. If the 8 guys in the office can't do it on their own, they should be using the thousands of dedicated players they have to help them.

Edited by Nothing_Shines

I don't care that you think you're HK, nor are you original for trying to sound like him. And this isn't STO or WOW or a game of Monopoly. If all of the other MMOs jumped off a bridge, should Bioware jump too? Please. I don't care what any other company does or does not do with games I don't play. And even if I did, what is posting on the SWTOR forum going to do about issues with WoW?

I care what this company does to the game that I do play. They have a PTS. They refuse to use it for the monthly releases. The results of that are quite clear: broken content and delays.

Realization: Ah, so you feel that BioWare's MMO is somehow different because they're not Blizzard or ARC/Cryptic Studios. Or maybe you're completely missing the point.

Revelation: In either case, it has nothing to do with being a different company or BioWare doing what other's do. It's how the MMO game type works. MMO games aren't operated the way FPS or RTS games are. It is a completely different setup in every way. You should, however, care what the other companies do because when you do, you start to see patterns in how things are done. I don't play WoW myself. When you focus in on just one company and how they're doing things, though, you lose your sense of reality and start getting these wild expectations that are unrealistic.

Addendum: Here's something else you need to understand, they didn't release Gus because they found it to be broken WITHOUT using the PTS. If they used the PTS it would have been found there, and would have been delayed anyway.

Query: They could have released it the way it was, gotten everyone mad, not fixed it for months, and lost more players by actually not caring. Would you have preferred them do it that way?

Query: Do you actually believe that a game company makes the content by clicking/pressing a button that puts the NPC in and then type something like "(NPC/Player name) does x.)" and then it's done and works and should never ever be broken?

• 2 weeks later...