Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Evolution of Star Wars very slow?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Evolution of Star Wars very slow?

Paxtor
12.29.2011 , 05:11 AM | #1
There's probably something I've missed here, since I'm not that much into the lore except for what you get from the movies (if even that)
But from what I can see the game, which is meant to be set 3500 years before the movies, the technology seems to be exactly the same.
I'm sure there's a reason why. Anyone care to explain?

JibKisamabi
12.29.2011 , 05:45 AM | #2
It's pretty much just a star wars thing. In fact in alot of respects, the older the technology is in Star Wars, the more advanced. The ancient Sith Lords still have perfectly functioning droids and advanced machinery that are thousands of years old even by the time of TOR, and the Infinite Empire's technology seems to be vastly superior to anything the Republic or Empire has now. Plus, 3000 years is a long time, so it's entirely possible there were a couple technological dark ages between TOR and the original movies.

CptManco
12.29.2011 , 06:44 AM | #3
Much of Star Wars has also plateaued technologically. Or at least it has relatively plateaued, until a new, but by this time extremely rare, scientific breakthrough allows for more advancement.

Also keep in mind that even on Earth weaponry consisted of variations on swords, axes, maces, spears, lances and bows for thousands of years.
A bronze sword might have been more bendable and easier to blunt than a steel one, but essentially it's the exact same weapon.

Though the out-of-lore reason is simply that people want their Star Wars to be Star Warsy.

Sylentmana
12.29.2011 , 11:35 AM | #4
Look at the fantasy genre. Hundreds of thousands of years pass in the timelines and everyone is still stuck in the middle ages. Must be the same with Star Wars.

krisslanza
12.29.2011 , 11:39 AM | #5
About the biggest differences I can see between the Old Republic era and the later one, is that shields have become much more common - but they lost personal shielding technology.

Kioma
12.29.2011 , 11:44 AM | #6
I like the plateau view, but I think it's a combination of the need to keep the whole thing 'feeling' the same, and also a matter of the very wide view.

We're seeing a few points along a very long time frame. Fashions, technologies, ideals, wars, skirmishes, preferred sporting events, parenting trends, teaching trends, ideologies, leaders, population counts - these things are all likely to change dramatically a little bit at a time over the thousands of years between the snapshots we're getting.

There might be a series of technological down-swings in which (for example) certain materials stop being available for a time, or certain copyrighted technologies are wiped off the galactic map by industrial mishaps (or, indeed, industrial 'mishaps').

Shifts in thought might become more paranoid, a cult of anti-droid fanatics might get someone secretly into the Senate and wipe out that technology for a few years (until people remember that the droids do all the stuff the sentient biologicals don't want to), and the Republic might spend a lot of the intervening time digging itself into a new hole or climbing painfully out of one.

Alternatively, the 'throw-away technology' view we humans have might simply not be practical, and technology might habitually be designed to last for a REALLY long time.

This is all speculation, of course, and the 'true' answer might just be 'because it makes it familiar' or 'because it's easier this way'. Or both. Or all of them.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Kioma
12.29.2011 , 11:46 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
About the biggest differences I can see between the Old Republic era and the later one, is that shields have become much more common - but they lost personal shielding technology.
I think the biggest difference is actually the prevalence of cortosis weave (due to the corresponding change in the number of Jedi and Sith). With fewer people wielding lightsabers it becomes far less important to weave cortosis into armour - and all the more dramatic and devastating when someone wielding a lightsaber DOES make an appearance.

krisslanza
12.29.2011 , 11:53 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I think the biggest difference is actually the prevalence of cortosis weave (due to the corresponding change in the number of Jedi and Sith). With fewer people wielding lightsabers it becomes far less important to weave cortosis into armour - and all the more dramatic and devastating when someone wielding a lightsaber DOES make an appearance.
Hmmm, a good point yes there's that. I figured the cortosis weave was just lost later on.

Oh, another big one is bacta. In TOR, kolto is the only healing agent (aside from the Force) in the galaxy. Bacta hadn't been discovered/used yet. And kolto only comes from Manaan.

Daraco
12.29.2011 , 12:01 PM | #9
Once again i post this

Just ask yourself this "Would you want to play a STARWARS game that doesn't resemble STARWARS, be a jedi before the lightsaber was invented, go to planets before they were settled?"

when it comes down to it, you want a universe that evolves as rapidly as real life does you create a COMPLETELY different universe all together and it loses what makes it starwars

Kioma
12.29.2011 , 12:03 PM | #10
Just read this in another thread about the same subject, Daraco. Very true, and it's my 'familiarity' point above. People want Star Wars to be Star Wars-y.