Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Subscriber rewards... how do people feel?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Subscriber rewards... how do people feel?

Rolodome
06.30.2016 , 04:03 PM | #1
So on the stream, Ben defended them a bit about veterans, bringing up the long-term subscriber rewards they've put in place, particularly this year.

What I want to know is, of the people who have participated in this long-term, how do you feel about it?

To me, the idea of a static reward set for being a long-term subscriber is not that appealing. It could be great if the reward appeals to me, but could mean basically nothing if it doesn't. I like the idea of reward programs that make me feel involved in something, have options in such a way that I can make choices if one thing doesn't appeal to me, and I like points systems because I can take a break and come back and still have progress.

But I'm also not that into exclusivity in the first place and I know I'm not everyone. So I want to know how other people feel about it.

Gearmasterblitz
06.30.2016 , 04:07 PM | #2
Rewards? What are you talking about? Are you... wait, you mean that HK garbage that no one wants that's been cluttering my mailbox? I thought that was a punishment.

teclado
06.30.2016 , 04:07 PM | #3
Well, the BW stance on the matter is that exclusive rewards should not be overly desirable, and it shows. How many people are actually upset that they did not receive one or more of them? Personally, I haven't used a single one. They are all sitting in my ship cargo hold.
Mara / Sent on SF

Vhaegrant
06.30.2016 , 04:12 PM | #4
I'm not really here for the subscriber rewards, I'm here because I like Star Wars and this is my virtual toy box.

Some of the rewards are okay, some are awful (Zakuul patrol bike I'm looking at you), some are really nice (HK-55 themed rocket pack). It's a mixed bag and I don't have to use them. Due to the range of characters I have some rewards suit some far more than others.

Along with complimentary cartel coins, the individual monthly rewards and the loyalty reward of the HK chapter I don't think I'm doing too bad for my sub.

I just hope players can reign in their expectations of what the 'Group Content' under development is going to be.

Andryah
06.30.2016 , 04:14 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
I'm not really here for the subscriber rewards, I'm here because I like Star Wars and this is my virtual toy box.

Some of the rewards are okay, some are awful (Zakuul patrol bike I'm looking at you), some are really nice (HK-55 themed rocket pack). It's a mixed bag and I don't have to use them. Due to the range of characters I have some rewards suit some far more than others.

Along with complimentary cartel coins, the individual monthly rewards and the loyalty reward of the HK chapter I don't think I'm doing too bad for my sub.

I just hope players can reign in their expectations of what the 'Group Content' under development is going to be.
^^ Ditto for me.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

jimmorrisson
06.30.2016 , 04:24 PM | #6
Nico, Nico's blasters, Nico's Duster, The Dagger mount, HK55 and HK jetpack (also the 1050cc last February) were god tier gifts. Everything else is not going to look good in comparison.

LyraineAlei
06.30.2016 , 04:27 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post

Pretty much the same for me. I like having Nico, but once my roster is full of my main comps, I don't use him. Just get him up to iRank 10 and stick him around my other drunk and disorderly comps in stronghold decoration mode.

I haven't bothered using the titles. The Legacy Bound GSF-inspired Armor is nice for moving mods around for my Cybertech to dismantle, but with all the legacy-bound armors out there, I only unboxed one set for each legacy as of late. I like the HK rocket pack. The other vehicles are a meh once I got more than the Lucky 77 to ride around on.

The HK-inspired weapons aren't bad, but I wished there were more, like a weapon for each class (okay, Trooper's the only one that can't use any of the HK weapons on him/herself). THe HK Commemorative State was fun. HK-55 isn't bad, just iRank 10 and stick him in a stronghold to look pretty, but it is a bit of a disappointment that he includes story stuff that others don't get access to unless they plan to cycle rewards like HK-55+'Chapter' and Nico again. The HK helmet and HK ship droid skins and the upcoming HK posters are all very likely to not be used beyond gathering prestige for the posters and then never using more than one of them, maybe one.

HK-inspired armor set on the other hand would be nice, to go with the helmet, but that's likely to show up as another Cybernetics Armor Set in the CM packs. "Gold ranked" oooooh *shrugs since she prefers more of the bronze armors over the silvers and golds with a handful of exceptions*

Mixed bag, yup. Mostly "eh, I'll use it when it is there"

I do use the purple-black weapon crystals rewards though, for the stats on weapons until I find one of the same stats and a better color set for that blade weapon (blasters don't care). And Nico's blasters and coat are good too.

tummiswtor
06.30.2016 , 04:44 PM | #8
We all paying for sub to get HK-55 skin-themed items wohooo \o/ best deal of my life

Feel free to use my Referral Friend link! New Subscriber get +7 days of sub!

http://www.swtor.com/r/KFtMTM

DarthDymond
06.30.2016 , 04:44 PM | #9
Having seen more than a few tirades on these boards about how "BW doesn't care about loyal subscribers, all they care about is CM, CM, CM!" and even threads where players called a subscriber reward of 500CCs a "slap to the face" (not the standard monthly reward, an additional one they randomly gave out), I have to say I'm really pleased that BW started giving out special in-game rewards - pets, mounts, armors, weapons, even companions - every single month. This is all stuff that could have wound up on the Market being used to incentivize and reward subscribers again, and I think that's a nice change of pace.

Some of the individual rewards are hit-or-miss (Nico's Duster definitely comes to mind as a miss, whereas the HK Jetpack is a solid hit), but most work well enough with at least one character or companion, IMO.

I don't think anyone should be placated by these subscriber rewards alone if they're not satisfied with the rest of the game, but as someone who's happy with what I'm getting for my sub in terms of gameplay content, I think they're a nice "cherry on top".
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Lysendros
06.30.2016 , 04:49 PM | #10
Personally? I'm fed up of sucking HK-55's proverbial trouser pole.
I would have been fine with one, maybe two HK-55 themed rewards, but when all of the rewards bar two are HK-themed? What about something that was Alliance-themed? Like the weapons set, could have made a unique blaster and lightsaber to represent Theron and Lana.

KotFE should rely on its own premise to keep players interested, not shamelessly beating the dead droid. The HK series of droids are iconic to a lot of people, but aside from the jetpack I've barely used any of the HK rewards. Wnt to know why?
Oversaturation, and they look damn ugly.