Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Rage Jugg or Fury Mara

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Rage Jugg or Fury Mara

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
06.27.2016 , 06:20 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DerSchneider View Post
LadyDarkkitten actually has a point. There are simply no PT and merc DPS in ranked. Snipers are rarity and getting obliterated by scoundrels/sentinels/dot cancer. Same for juggs, they just live a bit longer, while being more useless. To win as a jugg you need to have strong carry or clueless enemy team.
Reflect doesn't actually work against bunch of attacks, such as volatile substance or explosive probe. Same thing for saber ward, stunning you makes defense chance turn to 0, leaving you with poor 25% yellow damage redux.
dunno what to tell ya, man. I was on a merc the first four weeks and there were a lot of VG dps on TEH. I only played a few nights on JC, but there were PTs there as well...dps.

more to the point, there were tons of jugg and guardian dps on TEH, and the last man standing was invariably a veng or a sorc with the occasional stealth that sneaked away and healed. if the veng was the first target, it was the player not the spec.
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

DerSchneider's Avatar


DerSchneider
06.27.2016 , 07:37 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
dunno what to tell ya, man. I was on a merc the first four weeks and there were a lot of VG dps on TEH. I only played a few nights on JC, but there were PTs there as well...dps.

more to the point, there were tons of jugg and guardian dps on TEH, and the last man standing was invariably a veng or a sorc with the occasional stealth that sneaked away and healed. if the veng was the first target, it was the player not the spec.
PT dps extinct with the 4.5 nerf. On TRE last one standing is 90% scoundrel and 10% sage. Just saying.
Nightrain Juggernaut

LadyDarkkitten's Avatar


LadyDarkkitten
06.27.2016 , 07:42 PM | #13
I never did ranked on TEH. On harb and tre I was brutally murdered. JC I actually had some good fun, but there I played on a shadow and we organised guys from guild/trade. queued when rank was dead and just us. It gets alot more interesting and enjoyable once you take all the super serious smack talkers out of it and just have fun.
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr
Here is my argument. The PvP is so good and balanced the game has to go free to play if it hopes to survive. More than 2/3rds of the player base left because PvP is too good. It's so good and balanced that no one wants to play it.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
06.27.2016 , 08:51 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DerSchneider View Post
PT dps extinct with the 4.5 nerf. On TRE last one standing is 90% scoundrel and 10% sage. Just saying.
ranked doesn't exist after the first ~4 weeks. after that, it's the same 10 or so guys toon hopping, and farming/raging on anyone else who foolishly queues.

:2cents:
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

LadyDarkkitten's Avatar


LadyDarkkitten
06.27.2016 , 08:54 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
ranked doesn't exist after the first ~4 weeks. after that, it's the same 10 or so guys toon hopping, and farming/raging on anyone else who foolishly queues.

:2cents:
you forgot to add "while spamming /pvp with "why aren't solos popping/queue solo ranked!""
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr
Here is my argument. The PvP is so good and balanced the game has to go free to play if it hopes to survive. More than 2/3rds of the player base left because PvP is too good. It's so good and balanced that no one wants to play it.

DerSchneider's Avatar


DerSchneider
06.28.2016 , 12:37 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
ranked doesn't exist after the first ~4 weeks. after that, it's the same 10 or so guys toon hopping, and farming/raging on anyone else who foolishly queues.

:2cents:
Well said
That's why rewards should be announced. Because right now there is no reason to queue except if you are fan of this pvp mode.
Nightrain Juggernaut

Sinaith's Avatar


Sinaith
06.28.2016 , 02:17 AM | #17
just be like all the new scrublords popping up on harb and play jug skank tank with a pocket healer :s
Hello. It is me. Waffle.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
06.28.2016 , 07:55 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyDarkkitten View Post
you forgot to add "while spamming /pvp with "why aren't solos popping/queue solo ranked!""
meh. that's the butthurt angle. I'm not saying it doesn't have validity. but I think the more important thing is that for the first 3-4 weeks, you get a more representative sample of the pvp community in the matches.

I've gone on this diatribe before, but the reason all of the ranked formats have floundered is that after the initial influx and adrenaline of a new season passes, the pecking order settles in. and it comes to a point where you're either always winning or always losing. there aren't enough players/teams so that elo can accurately pair you with teammates and/or teams that are of a relatively equal skill. the problem is further compounded by the fact that you need X number of games under your belt before elo can mean anything.

this all means
  • establishing an accurate rating is difficult nigh impossible given the population -- and for grp ranked, it's entirely likely that a team never gets to 10 games in the first place (recall the difficulty pugging teams for 8v8?)
  • getting matched up with/against relatively equal players is nigh impossible unless you're one of the top 3-5 teams on server (if that for most servers) - and only after everyone else quits the queue.
  • the more predictable the outcome becomes, the less likely ppl will queue, meaning fewer ppl in queue, more manipulation of queue, less interest in "playing by the rules," dead queues.

this is all before any kind of class balance problems or role enforcement/balance problems are considered.
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

LadyDarkkitten's Avatar


LadyDarkkitten
06.28.2016 , 08:52 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
meh. that's the butthurt angle. I'm not saying it doesn't have validity. but I think the more important thing is that for the first 3-4 weeks, you get a more representative sample of the pvp community in the matches.

I've gone on this diatribe before, but the reason all of the ranked formats have floundered is that after the initial influx and adrenaline of a new season passes, the pecking order settles in. and it comes to a point where you're either always winning or always losing. there aren't enough players/teams so that elo can accurately pair you with teammates and/or teams that are of a relatively equal skill. the problem is further compounded by the fact that you need X number of games under your belt before elo can mean anything.

this all means
  • establishing an accurate rating is difficult nigh impossible given the population -- and for grp ranked, it's entirely likely that a team never gets to 10 games in the first place (recall the difficulty pugging teams for 8v8?)
  • getting matched up with/against relatively equal players is nigh impossible unless you're one of the top 3-5 teams on server (if that for most servers) - and only after everyone else quits the queue.
  • the more predictable the outcome becomes, the less likely ppl will queue, meaning fewer ppl in queue, more manipulation of queue, less interest in "playing by the rules," dead queues.

this is all before any kind of class balance problems or role enforcement/balance problems are considered.
Yet there are alot of games not least wow arenas for example that don't have this problem. With the number of different accounts that do regs at 65, there really shouldn't be dead and abandoned ranked like there is now. The population is/was there to sustain it. I think one big issue is the lack of rewards for doing ranked dailies/weeklies. If you perhaps made an alliance crate the rewards for doing the daily, while giving say a grand chance cube as a reward for the weekly, while removing the requiremnt to win, just to play to the end 15 ranked matchs for the weekly, you would re populate ranked with alot of casual pvpers. This would allow real matchmaking to "possibly" happen.

Further don't dismiss the effect of the abusive pvp community on harbringer and how they are effectively eating their own young. That in itself has caused many inexperienced and lesser skill players to just abandon that whole area of the game. I've been watching tonight on harb in lowbies how people who obviously don't "get" the wzs probably new to pvp are being openly abused in the chat. I try quietly /w them, but if these people never queue for a wz again I can't blame them and I'm mourning for the game. These morons are literally killing us by hounding out new people. They do as much damage as bioware ever did.
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr
Here is my argument. The PvP is so good and balanced the game has to go free to play if it hopes to survive. More than 2/3rds of the player base left because PvP is too good. It's so good and balanced that no one wants to play it.