Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Armor value and rating on orange gear?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Armor value and rating on orange gear?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

nezroy
12.21.2011 , 04:52 AM | #1
Can anyone confirm how orange gear gets its armor value?

From what I can tell it appears to be derived not just from the armor rating but also from the intrinsic armor "class" of the gear. For instance, since the Elegant Dress is a "light" armor class (requires light armor proficiency to use), it seems that for any given armor rating you mod it to, the armor value is the same as what you would see on a light armor chest piece of equal rating. This is substantially less than the armor you see at the same rating on a medium or heavy piece.

I just want to make sure this is accurate, since it seems to unfortunately limit the custom armor options for a heavy armor using class -- no tanking in an Elegant Dress for me I guess

Shammus
12.21.2011 , 04:58 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by nezroy View Post
Can anyone confirm how orange gear gets its armor value?

From what I can tell it appears to be derived not just from the armor rating but also from the intrinsic armor "class" of the gear. For instance, since the Elegant Dress is a "light" armor class (requires light armor proficiency to use), it seems that for any given armor rating you mod it to, the armor value is the same as what you would see on a light armor chest piece of equal rating. This is substantially less than the armor you see at the same rating on a medium or heavy piece.

I just want to make sure this is accurate, since it seems to unfortunately limit the custom armor options for a heavy armor using class -- no tanking in an Elegant Dress for me I guess
armor rating is determined by mods.. I would imagine it would be the equivalent of any other light armor in the game

you won't turn light armor into heavy armor.. its always going to be "light" armor so I imagine the designation also has something to do with it.
Sith Weapons And Tactics
Guildmaster | Giradda the Hutt
You have been knocked unconscious! Pain and suffering tries to strike YOU, but misses! You died. Returning to home point, please wait...LOADING, PLEASE WAIT

Pwny_Express
12.21.2011 , 07:35 AM | #3
What would be nice is a preview window before you choose to confirm new mods that shows exactly all the stats on the new piece so you can compare to what you have without having to deconstruct it again later if you find it isn't as good. Or maybe this is in and I haven't noticed it.
"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Better advice was never given.

Dasffion
12.21.2011 , 07:38 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Shammus View Post
armor rating is determined by mods.. I would imagine it would be the equivalent of any other light armor in the game

you won't turn light armor into heavy armor.. its always going to be "light" armor so I imagine the designation also has something to do with it.
More specifically it's the Armoring mod.

As for the preview I suppose it could be nice but you can compare the mod you're adding to the mod you have when swapping them so it's largely unnecessary.

NightHawke
12.21.2011 , 08:07 AM | #5
The armor mod (made by Cybertechs or gotten with planetary commendations) changes the armor rating of the object.

Example.. Without any of these number being true, just for demonstration purposes.

If I had an Armor Value 80 Mod.

Light- 200 armor
Medium- 300 armor
Heavy- 450 armor
Dark Legion's Empire Jung Ma Server

Live by the Sword,
Die from Bravado.

Ordryth
12.21.2011 , 08:07 AM | #6
ever tried buying blue mods/armoring/enhancements using those commendations you otherwise never use?

coz I did..

from a blue one to an orange, increased my armor by 70+ (more, but I don't want to exaggerate since I don't know the exact amount)

Yes, I am a tank, but this proves your issue, is either wrong, or just with light armor.

Roda
12.21.2011 , 08:28 AM | #7
It really all depends. When I tried to wear Orange armor with mods that I had crafted myself, my Armor score just dropped like a rock on my SI tank. Perhaps it gets better in the 20+ range, but it is a world of suck at the lower levels.

In the end, it depends how well you can keep up with things. You need to keep each mod at a Blue grade to theoretically equal a single piece of Blue armor. Same situaiton applies to Purple mods and armor pieces. With this in mind, I do agree that it's probably good to keep an Orange weapon and maybe an armor piece or two. But that's about it.

NightHawke
12.21.2011 , 09:08 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Ordryth View Post
ever tried buying blue mods/armoring/enhancements using those commendations you otherwise never use?

coz I did..

from a blue one to an orange, increased my armor by 70+ (more, but I don't want to exaggerate since I don't know the exact amount)

Yes, I am a tank, but this proves your issue, is either wrong, or just with light armor.

When you do an "upgrade" like that... you gotta look at the Armor Rating. If you are going from an armor rating 70 to a 65, then yes, your armor will drop like a rock.

But as I said above, equal armor rating down the board... the type of armor matters. Using Blue armor mods seems to be the standard (though I believe commendations should be greens to keep the crafter community rockin harder) so long as you are blue and equal rating, your Armor will be the same.

This holds true for Purple.

About the only thing you dont seem to get with Orange Armor is a chance for that 4th slot. You might, or might not, but I have not seen it yet.
Dark Legion's Empire Jung Ma Server

Live by the Sword,
Die from Bravado.

JawaJive
12.29.2011 , 10:10 AM | #9
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I'm experiencing similar confusion. I'm a BH and have separate orange heavy armors, all of which show their base (without mods) armor as 25 (rating 6). When I add an armoring mod of 40, the armor goes to 228. When I add an armoring mod of 42, the armor still remains at 228. I'm really confused as to how I can increase armor rating if this doesn't show any results.

Thank you in advance for any insight/help.

metaIsaber
12.29.2011 , 10:27 AM | #10
Trying to figure out how this works as well. My dilemma which I posted in the newbie forums as well. I have the following boots. Can anyone explain why the orange boots which have a rating of 80 only has 125 armor vs the lvl 66 which has a armor rating of 253?

req lvl 31
Death Bringer Boots (Orange)
125 armor rating 80
36 str
35 end
+5 critical

lvl 29
Rigig Flex Boots [Exceptional] (Green)
253 Armor Rating 66
45 str
27 end
15 citical