Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Hard Mode / Nightmare Mode Video Boss Fight Guides

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
SWTOR Hard Mode / Nightmare Mode Video Boss Fight Guides

Bahadori
04.19.2016 , 04:22 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by benmas View Post
since ravagers is the priority are you going to be making guides for the bosses that you clear if you do it?
As Smoke pointed out above the plan is to release the guides in the order they were released in game with the rest of EV and KP being done at the end. With that said i'm always more than happy to impart any information or knowledge your way in regards to specific boss fights/strategies if you need them. If that is the case feel free to email me at your leisure, my email is in my signature.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lil_Fusion View Post
Good job Hayete. I watched you guys kill Kephess last night I believe. Also having looked at your combat/carnage guides on Dulfy and how greatly informative they are i'm sure these guides will be just as helpful to new players that want to go beyond the storymode operations and above highlighted hardmodes. I wish you good luck and I hope this encourages players to try harder content because it is a lot of fun even though there hasn't been any new content in about a year and a half.
Thanks for the support mate Everyone in Phalanx is really excited to be doing this project and to see/read the feedback from the community so please keep it coming. I know it definitely motivates them to keep putting up with my frequent "/stuck lets start again" requests

smokesnake
04.19.2016 , 04:34 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Bahadori View Post
frequent "/stuck lets start again" requests
#biggest understatement of the year

tangzor
04.19.2016 , 08:41 PM | #13
a few things

your droid kill order puts you directly in saturation fire
the baradium bomb goes to whoever gets the killing blow, not a random member
and that's where i stopped watching

Bahadori
04.20.2016 , 05:36 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by tangzor View Post
a few things

You're absolutely right. LOL the bomber was an oversight on my part when recording the audio for the guide. In fact when we were capturing footage I had everyone stop attacking it so i could kill it, gain the bomb, and run it in which is footage I ended up using in the final edit

As for the Droid kill order saturation fire was never an issue and if you're paying attention can easily be avoided by careful positioning. So i'm not sure what exactly you mean by directly in saturation fire.

Appreciate the feedback though mate.

RikuvonDrake
04.20.2016 , 07:41 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Bahadori View Post
Thanks for the feedback mate! I believe what Crossward was referring to was the lengthy intro not the video itself. With that the intro for the Kephess video was brought down from 38 sec to 13 sec so I feel that was a reasonable response to the feedback received not only from Crossward but others as well. The Kephess video itself from start to finish is about 14 minutes long. The kill video (about 8 to 9 minutes) at the end of the video is what overbloats the run time. The mechanics explanation and strategy information is contained in about 14 minutes which i feel is reasonable for the amount of detail it contains.

As to the video guides themselves there is a method to the madness so to speak. With the state of Operations in 4.0 Story Mode ops no longer represent an environment conducive of laying the ground work for foundation mechanics. Several Story Mode Operations have had mechanics pulled from them or restructured damage profiles that no longer punish players for mistakes made. For these reasons as well as the bolster inherent to the Story Mode Operations many players experience with detailed mechanics and strategies in these Operations amounts to "Don't stand in stupid and don't die."

With the feedback I received prior to this project there was a huge desire for detailed information pertaining to mechanics, how to handle them, and minimum DPS requirements from the greater SWTOR community through email, the forums, my website, etc. Because of the state of Story Mode Operations I felt it was better to detail the Hard Mode Operations and explain differences between Hard Mode and Nightmare Mode than to do it from Story Mode and up. Honestly, it just came down to community demand and the workforce we have behind the project. The Hard Mode videos will be more indepth and longer than their Nightmare counterparts. The Nightmare videos will only reflect changes from Hard Mode to Nightmare, a DPS analysis, and Nightmare kill video. All information regarding foundational mechanics and stratagies will be directed back to the Hard Mode videos for reference.

My apologies for the lengthy response. I dont think i mentioned the big picture setup between the Hard Mode and Nightmare Mode videos at the time this post was created.
Overall, I can understand your idea although I disagree with having SM mechanics explained in a HM video, but it does reach a wider audience and as you say SM Operations don't really serve as a learning stage anymore. In regards to the video length, I understand you seeing the video as three segments and if considered individually they do make perfect sense. I am looking forward to the Nightmare mode explanations then and i think that is what i will prefer in terms of video structure, less focus on previous mode mechanics and more focus on how to handle the chosen difficulty level.

It's all good, I appropriate you taking the time to respond and in detail explain your reasoning.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Shwarzchild
04.20.2016 , 10:46 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by tangzor View Post
a few things

Hey Tangzor,

I'm one of the healers in this project, and I'd like to hear any other strategy you may have for that first part. As always, our suggested strategies are just suggestions and ways to go about mechanics that work well for us. Why we have our kill order on the droids in the fashion we do have it is it enables us to maximize our dps on the droids while also never missing an interrupt (outside of the insanely frustrating "hey my stupid interrupt missed thanks BW).

What makes me curious about your statement is that as the droids are positioned one of those droids will be hit with saturation fire. For example: when you pull those droids the first position of saturation fire is directly on top of droid 1 by the bunker. Because it will take 2 more rotations to hit the dps dead on, we think smashing that middle droid ends up maximizing the time on target whereas if we were to do what I've seen many groups do and dog pile onto that bunker add they may lose out on dps time by moving for that first shot of saturation or even second..

The players and roles we have at the corner droids by effect become place holders who are in charge of interrupting first and foremost with damage on droid as a secondary objective. With that in mind they are allowed plenty of time and freedom to avoid saturation fire if it's on top of their position while the dps either kill the middle or swap over to their droids. At the very least (and probably at a very rocky understanding level) that's how I break down the rationale behind our strategy.

Theoretically if you're group has the dps to push each droid individually and stay ahead of the saturation fire pattern it could be definitely doable to avoid that all together, but my suspicion is that you'll be missing interrupts, and consequently putting unnecessary stress on your healers (even if it's basically white noise to your healers they still have to push more than they should or may need to).

As I heal this fight, I tend to see and feel the droid damage is far greater than the saturation fire which I don't really ever notice. So we stress to the group to hit their interrupts first and foremost. There are also spots close to the walker where if saturation fire is dialing in on the position you may be at, you can enter that little safe zone (typically right next to the legs).

Anyway that's my reasoning for having the kill order as it is within our video. As we always stress these strats are what works best for us, but if there's an equally viable solution to always hitting the interrupts while making that saturation fire even less of a potential concern I'm absolutely interested in hearing it. Every strategy can be questioned and improved in some way.

RikuvonDrake
04.20.2016 , 12:15 PM | #17
if you want to minimize the damage you take, start on middle (looking at Walker) with all four DPS, then DPS goes for left and finally right, if you have decent DPS you will have killed the droids before it's that areas turn for saturation fire. Additionally, you want to place your range DPS and healer standing in the sweet spot for the majority of the fight, moving around as much as your rDPS and healers does isn't effective nor serving any purpose.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

WiththeForc
04.20.2016 , 01:20 PM | #18
^ Also, jug and pt tanks can get all the interrupts by alternating their charge and their regular interrupt per cast, and much like the sorc pull, a pt tank can tanspose whoever has the bomb to get them out of damage when they go up on the walker.
<Hatred> <Zorz> <Failure><It's Lit>
All 8-man content cleared on-tier pre-4.0, 4.0, and

smokesnake
04.20.2016 , 02:26 PM | #19
That's interesting, never really thought of backing back out to 10m to charge in an interrupt the Droid.

Bahadori
04.24.2016 , 01:25 PM | #20
Nightmare Zorn & Toth Added

Note: Audio editing and rendering process has been upgraded. Audio should be much clearer than prior videos as far as background noise and misc. background sounds.