Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Complimentary Server Transfers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Complimentary Server Transfers
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SteveTheCynic
04.13.2016 , 03:20 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Cedia View Post
I have some prime beachfront property in Kansas to sell you...
Well, my wife would have called it "lakeside" rather than "beachfront", but why not? (She moved from California to Mass. and was confused by people calling the sandy strip at the edge of a lake a "beach" when any fule(1) no that the beach is by the ocean. Personally I wouldn't *call* it a beach without qualifying it with "at Lake So-and-so", but OK.)

(1) any fule in California, obviously.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

robertthebard
04.13.2016 , 06:24 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Cedia View Post
So you think EA would just give away free server transfers for no reason?

I have some prime beachfront property in Kansas to sell you...
What a diabolical plan by EA:

Give away free transfers to spread people out to all of the servers they're eligible for, so that they can come back later and merge all the servers, causing even more outrage at the names that will be lost, just the tip of the iceberg here. Hey, there's a thread in the DDO forums you should totally be following, they need more tinfoil hat supporters over there, it claims the recent lag from a datacenter move was done deliberately to drive VIP subs off. You're exhibiting the same sort of logic here that they are there, it would be a good fit.

xordevoreaux
04.13.2016 , 07:01 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
What a diabolical plan by EA:

Give away free transfers to spread people out to all of the servers they're eligible for, so that they can come back later and merge all the servers, causing even more outrage at the names that will be lost, just the tip of the iceberg here. Hey, there's a thread in the DDO forums you should totally be following, they need more tinfoil hat supporters over there, it claims the recent lag from a datacenter move was done deliberately to drive VIP subs off. You're exhibiting the same sort of logic here that they are there, it would be a good fit.
If any future server merge keeps East coast East coast and West Coast West coast, I'll be fine with that, name pain aside. I lost some really great names in EQ2 when Oasis got merged with some other servers, but I took it as an opportunity to explore a new identity for the toon that lost the name. Mergers are sure to cause a crap fest on the forums with people whining, but it's like whining about dying, it's going to happen anyway, so find a positive in the life you have rather than worrying about death. And, unlike death, a server merge isn't nearly so dramatic.

robertthebard
04.13.2016 , 07:09 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
If any future server merge keeps East coast East coast and West Coast West coast, I'll be fine with that, name pain aside. I lost some really great names in EQ2 when Oasis got merged with some other servers, but I took it as an opportunity to explore a new identity for the toon that lost the name. Mergers are sure to cause a crap fest on the forums with people whining, but it's like whining about dying, it's going to happen anyway, so find a positive in the life you have rather than worrying about death. And, unlike death, a server merge isn't nearly so dramatic.
Frankly, I'm more worried about losing actual toons than names. I use unique names, and have never had a problem with them being taken, but if a merge means two servers where I already have toons happens, I'm going to lose everything over the limit, with most of them at, or near the cap. In this sense, Aion did it right, your character limit was enforced on the account level, instead of the server level. Not that it would be a huge deal. My post is more aimed at how ludicrous the "server merges are coming because they let us transfer to a lot of servers for free" is. If that list hadn't included Harbinger, when it was relevant, the list, that is, and had been limited to two or three servers, instead of the entire list, it might have been somewhat close to possible. Since that wasn't the case, before it was removed, it doesn't add up.

Seireeni
04.13.2016 , 07:25 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Frankly, I'm more worried about losing actual toons than names. I use unique names, and have never had a problem with them being taken, but if a merge means two servers where I already have toons happens, I'm going to lose everything over the limit, with most of them at, or near the cap. .
If my memory is correct, last time there were merges, if you ended up with more characters than allowed, you got to keep all your characters (so you would have, in example, 20/12 characters), but if you deleted one, you could not create a new one (assuming you were still over the limit).
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

EricMusco
04.13.2016 , 08:33 AM | #36 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Just to clear up any confusion. Yes, server transfers did end up free for a period of a few hours last night. However, this isn't a permanent change. There is also no need to panic as this isn't a precursor to anything.

We had received reports that players were experiencing problems over the past few days with Character Transfers. We were doing some testing with the Character Transfer service to resolve this issue and the price going to zero was a side effect of that testing. Some very observant players were able to benefit from that testing . Apologies for any confusion!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

UlaVii
04.13.2016 , 08:34 AM | #37
  • Server merges: Yes/No
  • Free transfers: Yes/No
  • Will there be a time limit before they are not free anymore: Yes/No
  • Are you waiting to see how server populations settle before deciding on mergers: Yes/No
  • How long will you wait to see?
  • What happens if a server gets mega overloaded? i.e. the vast majority of EU transfer to Red Eclipse

robertthebard
04.13.2016 , 08:40 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by UlaVii View Post
  • Server merges: Yes/No
  • Free transfers: Yes/No
  • Will there be a time limit before they are not free anymore: Yes/No
  • Are you waiting to see how server populations settle before deciding on mergers: Yes/No
  • How long will you wait to see?
  • What happens if a server gets mega overloaded? i.e. the vast majority of EU transfer to Red Eclipse
Literally every question there was answered in the yellow post right before this one?

Laurreth
04.13.2016 , 08:57 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
There is also no need to panic as this isn't a precursor to anything.
That isn't panic, that's hope that "you" (Bioware) would at some point face the realities of your failed population management. Once again, hope was, as it always is with you, in vain.
I like how the whining about "censored" butts started instantly but it took 2 days for someone to notice the legs are also ****ed up rantboi

AyeEs
04.13.2016 , 08:59 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Just to clear up any confusion. Yes, server transfers did end up free for a period of a few hours last night. However, this isn't a permanent change. There is also no need to panic as this isn't a precursor to anything.

We had received reports that players were experiencing problems over the past few days with Character Transfers. We were doing some testing with the Character Transfer service to resolve this issue and the price going to zero was a side effect of that testing. Some very observant players were able to benefit from that testing . Apologies for any confusion!

-eric
The toon I put in for a server transfer never got moved. I got a confirmation email and everything.