Complimentary Server Transfers

Klintrin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have reverted the page back to what it normally looks like now with all trace of the complimentary transfers removed. Ugh, how are we supposed to plan things when they do these acts? I was writing the guild news post when I saw the complimentary list a few hours ago (due to this thread) and made it the focus of the news article. Haven't published it yet as I was still in writing but now I'm 50/50 on whether to remove it all.

Grrrrrrrr! Answers please! :o

• Server merges: Yes/No
  • Free transfers: Yes/No
  • Will there be a time limit before they are not free anymore: Yes/No
  • Are you waiting to see how server populations settle before deciding on mergers: Yes/No
  • How long will you wait to see?
  • What happens if a server gets mega overloaded? i.e. the vast majority of EU transfer to Red Eclipse

I have some prime beachfront property in Kansas to sell you...

Well, my wife would have called it "lakeside" rather than "beachfront", but why not? (She moved from California to Mass. and was confused by people calling the sandy strip at the edge of a lake a "beach" when any fule(1) no that the beach is by the ocean. Personally I wouldn't *call* it a beach without qualifying it with "at Lake So-and-so", but OK.)

(1) any fule in California, obviously.

So you think EA would just give away free server transfers for no reason?

I have some prime beachfront property in Kansas to sell you...

What a diabolical plan by EA:

Give away free transfers to spread people out to all of the servers they're eligible for, so that they can come back later and merge all the servers, causing even more outrage at the names that will be lost, just the tip of the iceberg here. Hey, there's a thread in the DDO forums you should totally be following, they need more tinfoil hat supporters over there, it claims the recent lag from a datacenter move was done deliberately to drive VIP subs off. You're exhibiting the same sort of logic here that they are there, it would be a good fit.

What a diabolical plan by EA:

Give away free transfers to spread people out to all of the servers they're eligible for, so that they can come back later and merge all the servers, causing even more outrage at the names that will be lost, just the tip of the iceberg here. Hey, there's a thread in the DDO forums you should totally be following, they need more tinfoil hat supporters over there, it claims the recent lag from a datacenter move was done deliberately to drive VIP subs off. You're exhibiting the same sort of logic here that they are there, it would be a good fit.

If any future server merge keeps East coast East coast and West Coast West coast, I'll be fine with that, name pain aside. I lost some really great names in EQ2 when Oasis got merged with some other servers, but I took it as an opportunity to explore a new identity for the toon that lost the name. Mergers are sure to cause a crap fest on the forums with people whining, but it's like whining about dying, it's going to happen anyway, so find a positive in the life you have rather than worrying about death. And, unlike death, a server merge isn't nearly so dramatic.

If any future server merge keeps East coast East coast and West Coast West coast, I'll be fine with that, name pain aside. I lost some really great names in EQ2 when Oasis got merged with some other servers, but I took it as an opportunity to explore a new identity for the toon that lost the name. Mergers are sure to cause a crap fest on the forums with people whining, but it's like whining about dying, it's going to happen anyway, so find a positive in the life you have rather than worrying about death. And, unlike death, a server merge isn't nearly so dramatic.

Frankly, I'm more worried about losing actual toons than names. I use unique names, and have never had a problem with them being taken, but if a merge means two servers where I already have toons happens, I'm going to lose everything over the limit, with most of them at, or near the cap. In this sense, Aion did it right, your character limit was enforced on the account level, instead of the server level. Not that it would be a huge deal. My post is more aimed at how ludicrous the "server merges are coming because they let us transfer to a lot of servers for free" is. If that list hadn't included Harbinger, when it was relevant, the list, that is, and had been limited to two or three servers, instead of the entire list, it might have been somewhat close to possible. Since that wasn't the case, before it was removed, it doesn't add up.

Frankly, I'm more worried about losing actual toons than names. I use unique names, and have never had a problem with them being taken, but if a merge means two servers where I already have toons happens, I'm going to lose everything over the limit, with most of them at, or near the cap. .

If my memory is correct, last time there were merges, if you ended up with more characters than allowed, you got to keep all your characters (so you would have, in example, 20/12 characters), but if you deleted one, you could not create a new one (assuming you were still over the limit).

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Just to clear up any confusion. Yes, server transfers did end up free for a period of a few hours last night. However, this isn't a permanent change. There is also no need to panic as this isn't a precursor to anything.

We had received reports that players were experiencing problems over the past few days with Character Transfers. We were doing some testing with the Character Transfer service to resolve this issue and the price going to zero was a side effect of that testing. Some very observant players were able to benefit from that testing :rak_03:. Apologies for any confusion!

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

• Are you waiting to see how server populations settle before deciding on mergers: Yes/No
  • What happens if a server gets mega overloaded? i.e. the vast majority of EU transfer to Red Eclipse

Literally every question there was answered in the yellow post right before this one?

There is also no need to panic as this isn't a precursor to anything.

That isn't panic, that's hope that "you" (Bioware) would at some point face the realities of your failed population management. Once again, hope was, as it always is with you, in vain. :mad:

Hey folks,

Just to clear up any confusion. Yes, server transfers did end up free for a period of a few hours last night. However, this isn't a permanent change. There is also no need to panic as this isn't a precursor to anything.

We had received reports that players were experiencing problems over the past few days with Character Transfers. We were doing some testing with the Character Transfer service to resolve this issue and the price going to zero was a side effect of that testing. Some very observant players were able to benefit from that testing :rak_03:. Apologies for any confusion!

-eric

The toon I put in for a server transfer never got moved. I got a confirmation email and everything. :confused:

Hey folks,

-eric

Any plans for mergers eric? That's what's needed...

There is also no need to panic as this isn't a precursor to anything

You miss the point. We are panicking because we are worried this isn't a precursor for anything :rolleyes:

Literally every question there was answered in the yellow post right before this one?

I would rather have actual answers instead of your assumptions. I don't think I'm being crazy wanting specific clarification on something that will affect hundreds of people in my guild.

If the answer is so clear and me and all the others are being ultra dense/stupid/stubborn then put an end to it by answering 2 "simple" questions :)

• Will there be complimentary/free transfers for us all?
  • Are there plans to do server merges in the next 2-3 months?

Edited by UlaVii

There is also no need to panic as this isn't a precursor to anything.

Mergers and/or the ability to server transfer guilds is needed. Cheers, not panic, would likely be the overwhelming response to an announcement of mergers. Pot5 general pop is dead, only life is within guild.

Mergers and/or the ability to server transfer guilds is needed. Cheers, not panic, would likely be the overwhelming response to an announcement of mergers. Pot5 general pop is dead, only life is within guild.

Exactly this!!!

You miss the point. We are panicking because we are worried this isn't a precursor for anything :rolleyes:

I would rather have actual answers instead of your assumptions. I don't think I'm being crazy wanting specific clarification on something that will affect hundreds of people in my guild.

If the answer is so clear and me and all the others are being ultra dense/stupid/stubborn then put an end to it by answering 2 "simple" questions :)

• Will there be complimentary/free transfers for us all?

According to that very post I previously indicated, no. He said, in no uncertain terms that it was an unintended side effect of their testing.

Are there plans to do server merges in the next 2-3 months?

What part of "This wasn't a precursor to anything" means that it was, in fact, a precursor to something?

Edited by robertthebard

lots of super valid points

Thank you for your opinion, I value it deeply :)

Like I said, I guess I'm part of the dimwitted/stubborn group who would like a simple yes/no to those two questions. The decisions I make based on the replies affect a lot of people that are important to me both inside my guild and outside. I would like to base my decisions on the most accurate information and think a simple yes/yes no/no yes/no no/yes is not too much to ask. Both you and I have typed far more characters than those just discussing the last official reply ;)

Edited by UlaVii
realised "la la la" could be minorly offensive

He said, in no uncertain terms that it was an unintended side effect of their testing.

Huh? Where did he say it was "unintended"? You can't add words and claim that you're quoting someone Bob.

We were doing some testing with the Character Transfer service to resolve this issue and the price going to zero was a side effect of that testing.

-eric

They did it late at night, presumably because they probably knew that transfers going to zero was going to happen.

Huh? Where did he say it was "unintended"? You can't add words and claim that you're quoting someone Bob.

They did it late at night, presumably because they probably knew that transfers going to zero was going to happen.

Side effects, by their very nature, tend to be unintentional. That's not the same as unpredictable.

As you said, they clearly knew it would happen. That does not make it intentional, just unavoidable. The simple fact that it was only up for a few hours suggests it was not intended as a feature in any way.