Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Eternal Championship - Boss 6 and 7 Feedback

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
Eternal Championship - Boss 6 and 7 Feedback

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
04.07.2016 , 03:40 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

In the most recent PTS Update this week we made quite a few changes to adjust the difficulty of encounters 6 (Breaktown Brawler) and 7 (Nocturno & Drake Raven). With that, we would love to get your feedback specifically on those two encounters. Here are the changes that were made:
  • Breaktown Brawler: Removed boss immunity from King Crush and Master Ripper. The are now susceptible to any CC which does not break on damage.
  • Nocturno & Drake Raven: Tweaked Drake Raven's encounter mechanics such that when he is subjected to heavy DPS, he will try much harder to deploy at least one G0-ON Abductor squad to kidnap your sidekick.
  • Nocturno & Drake Raven: The stun component of Firaxian Shark Repellent (when used offensively) is now properly marked as a debuff, because being stunned is bad.
  • Nocturno & Drake Raven: Based upon player feedback, observation, and metrics, we have decided to remove the on-arm stealth from Stunning Mines (as the mechanic was reading poorly and causing a lot of confusion). Mines thrown by Drake Raven will remain visible after arming, allowing players to utilize them better.
  • Nocturno & Drake Raven: Corrected the tooltip text of the "Eyes on the Prize" buff to correctly refer to both Nocturno and Drake Raven.
  • Nocturno & Drake Raven: Drake Raven's Stunning Mine abilities now properly show a name in the cast bar.
Let us know what you think of these encounters now that they have received changes.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

ZeridanShear
04.07.2016 , 04:19 PM | #2
Copied a fresh toon with only 200 level gear to run through tonight!

MeNaCe-NZ
04.07.2016 , 05:30 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

In the most recent PTS Update this week we made quite a few changes to adjust the difficulty of encounters 6 (Breaktown Brawler) and 7 (Nocturno & Drake Raven). With that, we would love to get your feedback specifically on those two encounters. Here are the changes that were made:
  • Breaktown Brawler: Removed boss immunity from King Crush and Master Ripper. The are now susceptible to any CC which does not break on damage.
  • Nocturno & Drake Raven: Tweaked Drake Raven's encounter mechanics such that when he is subjected to heavy DPS, he will try much harder to deploy at least one G0-ON Abductor squad to kidnap your sidekick.
  • Nocturno & Drake Raven: The stun component of Firaxian Shark Repellent (when used offensively) is now properly marked as a debuff, because being stunned is bad.
  • Nocturno & Drake Raven: Based upon player feedback, observation, and metrics, we have decided to remove the on-arm stealth from Stunning Mines (as the mechanic was reading poorly and causing a lot of confusion). Mines thrown by Drake Raven will remain visible after arming, allowing players to utilize them better.
  • Nocturno & Drake Raven: Corrected the tooltip text of the "Eyes on the Prize" buff to correctly refer to both Nocturno and Drake Raven.
  • Nocturno & Drake Raven: Drake Raven's Stunning Mine abilities now properly show a name in the cast bar.
Let us know what you think of these encounters now that they have received changes.

-eric
I would say for fight 6 the balance feels just right now, especially being able to CC to help separate them out more.

Fight 7 whilst seeing the mines certainly helps I still feel the enrage mechanic ( especially for Nocturno ) might be a big over the top damage wise for the target audience, especially at fight 7 - fight 10 would make better sense.

Might be easier if you put forward what the goals mechanically are for people to beat fight 7.
Because currently the best ( and for many the only ) way to do this is to burn down drake, quickly rescue your comp whenever kidnapped ( lovely mechanic btw ) then keep burning him down until dead - luckily he keeps flying around the arena meaning we can ignore nocturne a lot of the time or put yourself in a location when attacked drake that forces him to trigger a stun mine giving some breathing room.
When Drake is dead, grab the belt and easily stun lock and attack nocturno for the win.

If this is as intended then it works fine but if the idea is to have people burn down the opponents equally to avoid enrage then it's not working well that way.

I think this fight should really be #10 - it's the toughest ( both mechanically and dmg output with that enrage mechanic ideally ) so having it at #7 could be quite off putting to less skilled/geared players.

mastersdr
04.07.2016 , 05:35 PM | #4
On boss 6 I think you rather just need to reduce Master Ripper and King Crush's health or reduce the overall damage output. Either one will work. I think this because some classes don't have CC

I think boss 7 is perfect now

ZeridanShear
04.07.2016 , 10:10 PM | #5
MUCH better for these two bosses. Boss 6 can be difficult, but if you seperate them (and I noticed they walk slower), it's a sinch.

Boss #7 is good as well, so long as you use the mines to your advantage.

Costello
04.08.2016 , 06:40 AM | #6
I did it last night for the alliance Alert and sadly it isn't something I would be looking to repeat.

On my 220/224 gear Marauder with a level 50 companion, second play through second play through without dying. I mention this cause I appreciate I'm not the target audience and I'm not saying I sucked so it must be rubbish.

I came away with another companion I will never use, will not be an option in the Kofte story, makes no impact on my alliances efficiency and far below all my other companions influence so I wont use him for crafting. So not much other than a reskined generic companion who doesn't speak basic, may have a few of those already.

Likewise the rewards for the eternal championship aren't up to much, so lets hope the fights are really fun and gripping cause ain't doing it for the rewards.

Sadly not Boss 6 Breakdown brawler seems to be about keeping mobs split so ago management and maybe some stuns. Only my only agro drop has been disabled cause of the spot light, I don't have a taunt and one stun that works through damage which is on a channel cast. Not to worry I've over geared and can burn through them. But its not fun and if anything is frustrating cause I have almost no options but to do what I do in every fight dps race them. Getting them to split is more about luck than anything and half the time it didn't seem like I was having much effect at all. Not a fight I finished and felt I can't wait to get back into this. I can only imagine what an under geared person with low influence companion would take from this. Probably I screwed up for a couple of seconds got some stacks and died. Sod this for a laugh.

Boss 7, amazingly has the option to be even more frustrating than 6. So people get through 6 and they get to have the option to be stunned every few seconds, their companion kidnapped (excellent Im sure if your also stunned) and then should you take Ravan down get an enraged Nocturno who seemed to hit for 7 to 10k damage a hit and possibly more. Nothing makes a fight as fun as lots of stuns and the unavoidable basic attack which does massive damage. But its ok cause we get a belt that offers us some options like flying across the room, great if your ranged not so great if you are melee cause all it does is mean you have to run back to fight him and have to take all the blows cause the combat engine doesn't allow you to dodge attacks unless your defense score is higher than his accuracy.

What I would recommend is take your Sniper and play through the content and instead of laughing at how badly your doing or how many times your dying. Instead ask would anyone really log in to play through this multiple times , do I really feel like I'm in this fight and its exciting or is it more frustrating cause any mistake I make results in having to restart while I'm wishing I had a taunt or self heal or such.

legendpayz
04.08.2016 , 07:11 AM | #7
Round 10 is ridiculous hard if u have no gear or just coming to swtor When Zotar does his lightning thing if someone doesnt know to let it cast and not interrupt they will wipe over and over.
RevanChistGate CrasherDread Master

MeNaCe-NZ
04.08.2016 , 02:59 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dimitryalexandre View Post
Round 10 is ridiculous hard if u have no gear or just coming to swtor When Zotar does his lightning thing if someone doesnt know to let it cast and not interrupt they will wipe over and over.
The point is they learn to interrupt so they can realise this for harder content - it's a training ground.
It's not there to hold your hand and tell you exactly how to do it.

Now you've managed to do it though you should feel more assured that you would be in a place to complete SM operations easily. This is to help give confidence to that.

In saying that Eric and based on this being a stepping stone to operations ... why not after completing the EC it gives players a one time quest to complete each operation ( so 1 quest per operation ) with a nice crystal and SM appropriate gear? Sort of like Oricon how you ended up with a complete set after doing all missions.
I know many operations have one time missions as it is but they can be quite obscure and difficult to find ( and this was when they were relevant to the story so it's probably doubley confusing for new players now ) so something that auto goes to a person quest log or what not would be pretty cool.

Almost like a tutorial step - something like "congratulations on completing EC! Now you've mastered the arena it's time to take the next step and get into our Story Mode Operations which the EC has been preparing you for" etc. giving them reassurances it's not as hard and scary as they think it might be if they can do all 10 EC bosses.

Food for thought anyway ... to lead people into operations you just need that linking factor between the EC and operations as I see it else they'll do EC and go back to grinding heroics as they don't get reassurance that operations aren't as hard as they think they are.

DarthConsum
04.10.2016 , 09:40 PM | #9
I just did Eternal Championship for the first time and Rounds 6 and 7 were the only ones that gave me trouble (didn't one shot). I did this as a 220/224 min maxed Arsenal Mercenary. One of the issues I had was I used all of my kolto stations during Round 6 and after I had beaten it on my second attempt the stations would not respawn for the following fights. So I did Nocturno and Drake without any help from the stations. Had to finally set my companion to heal spec for the remainder of the rounds. The kiting in Round 6 was the worse lol, I had my compaion tanking one add, and then the brawler was on them. Then I would solo the other add but whenever I was in melee range to attack it kept backpedaling towards it's friend, so that sucked. Nocturno and Drake seemed more like a round 8 or 9 encounter since it feels like it requires a better awareness of movement and ability management. Sometimes it was one wrong placement or just too slow and that was enough for her to kill me instantly. All of the other fights afterwards which were suppose to be even harder were almost as easy as the first 4 rounds. Most of those fights were just moving out of aoe and dps/ignore the adds when they came.
ị████████████████████████ị≡ị‼ị‼‼‼‼‼ị█ị

JediUmbra
04.11.2016 , 12:57 PM | #10
Class: Shadow
Spec: Serenity
Gear: Mixed. Average about 192.
Experience: Skillful. Majority of HM/NM cleared
Companion: 11 Influence, heal spec.

5th time running the encounter.

I didn't find boss #6 significantly different, though I expect the changes should help.

Boss #7 was a significant improvement with the change to the mines. The encounter is still one of the tougher ones, but the mechanic now plays more consistently and won't aggravate players.

Overall, I still find the difficulty level too low, even in 192 gear.